O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
wywywywy

Re: O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by wywywywy »

xAPPO wrote:My point though is that O2 advertised and took money , some at full price for units that offered a SMS send and receive facility - with 50 free texts per month included although the free allowance is not my issue - it's the messaging functionality which can't be replaced . Some people made a purchase decision based on this and these people now do not have that facility because of a deliberate cessation at short notice of the service by O2. O2 have taken money on that basis and therefore shouldn't be allowed to just cease the service. That IMHO has got to be questionable from a legal perspective.
It isn't very nice, but to be honest 3 years of support is pretty reasonable already for a tech product in my opinion, especially one that flopped quite badly.
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

But O2 never really developed it... they promised a lot...and then failed

it wasnt until they offered us the £50 deal did the masses take it up...and then we did all the change work

so they cant cry too much really... they never did much work around it after did they?
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Only 9 days until the update, if I am jogglerless by then someone will have to make a post explaining what they changed! :)
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Will it be better to wait to see what happens with this update in case it breaks the ability to hack our jogglers or will they all force update anyway regardless? So will this be thank you and goodnight from o2 do we think?
Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

No, the fact they acknowledge our existence on this forum makes me think they won't lock it down, and I think this is the end of life update, no more after this.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

danfoshizzle wrote:No, the fact they acknowledge our existence on this forum makes me think they won't lock it down, and I think this is the end of life update, no more after this.
Don't bother trying to ask them..

I sent them this email:
Hello,

I have an O2 Joggler, and I understand that there will be an update to it rolling out on the 30th of April.

From what I can tell, it will be a sunset update for the Joggler, as it removes all O2 functionality.

I was wondering if it would be possible to release the source code of the stock OS after this final update - it would be much appreciated to all of us Joggler "hackers"! It also means we can try to provide support and updates for the Joggler after the sunset period.

Thanks for your time,
Jamie Hoyle
and got this back:
Hello Jamie

Thanks for emailing us.

To resolve the problem with the O2 Joggler, please visit the nearest O2
shop.

To know your nearest O2 shop, use the below link:

http://www.multimap.com/share/o2/

If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards

Dominic
O2 Customer Service

Telefonica UK Limited, Registered Office 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX.
Registered in England and Wales No. 1743099.

*********************************************************************************
Dear O2 Customer, Please note that this is an unmonitored email account and we will not be able to respond to your query. If you have a query about your service please visit http://www.o2.co.uk/help or email us at mailto:mycare@o2mail.co.uk where it will receive our attention.
Regards, O2 Customer Care
This communication is from Telefonica UK Limited. Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough SL1 4DX. Registered in England and Wales: 1743099. VAT number: GB 778 6037
*********************************************************************************
Hmm...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Yeh, that's the sort of things I expect - but thanks for trying. You might do better to contact openpeak directly - certainly they should be able to provide source for the missing module to write the efi. whether they will though is another matter.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

You may be better talking to OpenPeak - it's their software, and they need to abide by the terms of the open source licences.

Also, search for OpenPeak SDK. You'll find you can download everything save for the OS from http://dev.openpeak.com/.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

BuZz wrote:Yeh, that's the sort of things I expect - but thanks for trying. You might do better to contact openpeak directly - certainly they should be able to provide source for the missing module to write the efi. whether they will though is another matter.
roobarb! wrote:You may be better talking to OpenPeak - it's their software, and they need to abide by the terms of the open source licences.

Also, search for OpenPeak SDK. You'll find you can download everything save for the OS from http://dev.openpeak.com/.
Thanks for the advice, how about this? (sent to info [at] openpeak [dot] com)
Hello,

I have an O2 Joggler (OpenPeak 7), and I understand that there will be an update to it rolling out on the 30th of April, customary of O2.

From what I can tell, it will be a sunset update for the Joggler, as it removes all O2 functionality.

I was wondering if it would be possible to release the source code of the stock OS after this final update - it would be much appreciated to all of us Joggler "hackers"! It also means we can try to provide support and updates for the Joggler after the sunset period. Finally, also help you conform to the open source licenses upon which your software is based - from what we can tell the Joggler/OpenPeak 7 runs Ubuntu, which (for the majority) conforms to GPL.

Thanks for your time,
Jamie Hoyle
Very similar to the O2 one except with OpenPeak references and some stuff about GPL at the bottom - not going to mention the fact that there are 4+ different licences for different bits of Ubuntu! (don't worry, the majority is GPL, like I stated above.)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

If we had these last bits of info what issues would it help with?
Hope they just give us what we need:-)
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

they may well send the file they released before though. specifically it misses the "fh" kernel module which is the one we need.
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

BuZz wrote:they may well send the file they released before though. specifically it misses the "fh" kernel module which is the one we need.
Haven't sent the email yet, I'll add a request for the fh driver at the end.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jazzmista wrote:
BuZz wrote:they may well send the file they released before though. specifically it misses the "fh" kernel module which is the one we need.
Haven't sent the email yet, I'll add a request for the fh driver at the end.
Specifically, we need the source code for that driver - we already have the binary! I sent a message myself some time ago, but heard nothing back.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
morf3h

Post by morf3h »

I have posted the current source code for the O2 joggler... If you can use this for anything, or maybe compile the drivers/interface back after the update
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=4&t=530
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks. actually we (at least me and roobarb) already had this, hence the stuff about the missing module source. However, others might not have it so thanks for posting.
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

Hi peeps. Would I be best off blocking internet access to my joggler until there's some news here after the update?

edit: Actually I've gone ahead and blocked it's IP address from the internet at the router. I only use it for squeezeplay anyway to control another sbclassic.
Last edited by charlesr on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Actually, anyone know if there's a particular port that's worth blocking?

J^n
Shonk

Post by Shonk »

I wonder when it will update nothing yet
and i forced a reboot
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Kitchen joggler on, booted into old os (first time since I had it, i had lots of o2 messages heh), waiting as my sacrificial virgin :)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Joggler sitting and waiting to be updated! Once it does will have a play

EDIT: oh right, could take four days to update lol
more to come!!