O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danb79

Post by danb79 »

not used my joggler in a while , plugged it in the other day and realized id removed my xp sd card install so left it running stock o2. Today i get this message..

O2:We're updating your O2 joggler on 30 April.
You'll notice some new appsand the O2 apps will
be removed. More info

so i went searching

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN ... %20Joggler
Last edited by roobarb! on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Important Joggler information.
danfoshizzle

Re: o2:we're updating your o2 joggler on 30 april?

Post by danfoshizzle »

That link clearly acknowledges all the work everybody has done on the joggler!

Although they linked the old wiki

I don’t like the new software. Is there an alternative?
Yes, it’s possible to load new software on your Joggler, but we only recommend that only the most technically advanced users do this. If you have no idea what Ubuntu, FTP, or VNC means, then this probably isn’t for you.

Visit [please dont link to the old wiki here] to see what you can do. O2 does not take any responsibility for problems caused if you chose to modify your Joggler.

Seems pretty exciting though

Also apps after reflash
We will have some great new apps installed.

Apps after Re-flash:

Facebook
Flickr
Weather
USAToday
YouTube
Photos
Music
Videos
Alarm clock
Google calendar
Google maps
Notepad
Calculator
Settings
Games
Bricks hex
Bobo snake
Ball lines
Blind spot
Double bubble
Dress up
Eye sight
Tortoise and Hare
Letter blocks
Mahjongg
Mancala
Matchsticks
Memory
Mousetrap
Peg
Pool
Scene memory
Suspect

Anything new there?
Last edited by danfoshizzle on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Shame they linked to the old wiki!
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

I think this news sucks.
Internet Radio was the most popular app on Roobarbs recent poll:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=396

I know that Squeezeplay has more stations and I prefer to use it, but my parents who live in Canada and have a Joggler love the simplicity of the radio app.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Sure it will not be long before somebody brings it back lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Blimey, this is interesting news!

It looks from that list that the Joggler will be getting the OpenFrame firmware. I wonder what other changes will be in there (I'm thinking in the back-end OS)? They could just update the apps and remove their O2 branded skin, though. That's seems like a likely course of action.

I think the loss of the Messaging app is a bit of a downer, though. I'm guessing they'll be closing the service from their end, so that app would be completely useless. The Internet Radio app should be very easy to keep, though.

BTW, if anyone desperately doesn't want to update, you could always use my Update Control tool. I can't guarantee it will work, because I don't exactly know what update method they'll use (there seems to be more than one method in the code), but it would be better than nothing if you're desperate to keep the O2 look. Actually, I always thought the O2 skin was nicer than the OpenFrame one.

Linking to the .info address in the Help section, though - that's a bad mistake! :roll:
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Tweaked the title and made a sticky for a while.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Re: O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by offbeatdave »

Hmm. Having had a look at the o2 site, doesn't this just look like they're removing the o2 bits and dumping on the games and apps that were in the app shop (+ a few more)? I bet the YouTube app isn't as good as 'our' version either!

Also, it looks like no Sky News and Sky Sports News feeds.

It's not really an upgrade, more an official discontinuation.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

The Radio app pulls feeds and logos from an o2 depository stored by The Lounge. In theory I guess that just altering the feeds in the jogContent files to working alternatives would keep this running. I can't imagine it relies on communication with any o2 server during it's operation.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

And they (o2) still haven't had the sense to stick a web browser on there! Will they never learn!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I guess this will knacker PnP Mk II until it's tweaked?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

dwl99 wrote:I guess this will knacker PnP Mk II until it's tweaked?
Yeah, although the extent to which it is knackered and the amount of tweaking depends on their method of upgrade. More crucially I guess it will impact upon the indispensable reflashing tool.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Since this looks like the official discontinuation, maybe we could formally ask them:

1) to link to our forum rather than the old one
2) give us stewardship of their final image to base a new reflashing tool on, thereby giving greater longevity to the product
3) to give us any info they have on creating new apps for the device
4) Ask Pure if they mind keeping their feeds alive for Joggler users; then we could back up the app and restore it after the update

This would make us the new official(ish) technical service for all things Joggler.

I agree that it will be a shame to lose Pure Lounge, because it's easier for some to use than Squeezeplay, but it's not a deal breaker. The messaging was also pretty cool but, to be honest, infrequently used in my household.
borgs

Post by borgs »

So, what if we just disconnected our Jogglers for that week. Would we keep the old firmware indefinately? Would it mostly work without the O2 servers?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:It's not really an upgrade, more an official discontinuation.
True, but they've chosen a really good way to go about it. They could have just let everything fall apart, leaving less technical users with apparently useless devices. Instead, they're distancing themselves, but doing so in a way that leaves the Joggler useful. Fair play to them on that; they didn't have to put the effort in, but they did.

As for the reflash tool, I'll just need the new firmware download address and some time to tweak. Save the old firmware now though, if you've become attached to it!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

borgs wrote:So, what if we just disconnected our Jogglers for that week. Would we keep the old firmware indefinately? Would it mostly work without the O2 servers?
Without disabling the update mechanism, your Joggler would just update when reconnected.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Do you think its worth uninstalling PnP MK2 before the update, just incase things go awry ?
more to come!!

dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I have a hacked main.swf for the Lounge radio app left over from the old forum if that helps build our own after the update. Then you would just need to keep a copy of your old jogContent.xml and O2FavoritesData.cookie & copy them over. Mind you, everyone else probably has this file too :-)

Would the Lounge main.swf run with Flashplayer or would it have too many dependencies?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

gegs wrote:Since this looks like the official discontinuation, maybe we could formally ask them:

1) to link to our forum rather than the old one
2) give us stewardship of their final image to base a new reflashing tool on, thereby giving greater longevity to the product
3) to give us any info they have on creating new apps for the device
4) Ask Pure if they mind keeping their feeds alive for Joggler users; then we could back up the app and restore it after the update

This would make us the new official(ish) technical service for all things Joggler.
+1
@Buzz - I nominate you :-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

roobarb! wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:It's not really an upgrade, more an official discontinuation.
True, but they've chosen a really good way to go about it. They could have just let everything fall apart, leaving less technical users with apparently useless devices. Instead, they're distancing themselves, but doing so in a way that leaves the Joggler useful. Fair play to them on that; they didn't have to put the effort in, but they did.

As for the reflash tool, I'll just need the new firmware download address and some time to tweak. Save the old firmware now though, if you've become attached to it!
Yeah, woke up this morning and thought that actually it's quite good news as after this there should be no worries about o2 interferring with mods and customisations in the future. Almost looking forward to it now! :?