O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
fraserm

Re: O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by fraserm »

Good luck everyone. See you on the other side.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

fraserm wrote:Good luck everyone. See you on the other side.
lol
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

I wonder how they are going to push that much code?

or is it a few "apps" and links to the web...and then a few deletes & a reboot
magnus pym

Post by magnus pym »

Both Jogglers on, waiting patiently, bizarrely enough I had to reflash one for the first time in its life yesterday. Like the man said, let's be careful out there and hope we can all come through unscathed...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Heads up - got an email from an developer/innovation guy at o2, with a nice message and a link to the firmware update. I am uploading the file to my server and will post a new thread with the info and download link shortly.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

dangerousbh

Post by dangerousbh »

Rushed home from work half expecting my joggler to have updated but no luck!
Has anyones updated yet? :?: :?:
smiler

Post by smiler »

Yes; one of my 2 Jogglers has updated.

I like the new interface; it looks much more professional.

My "old" apps - BBC iPlayer & Squeezeplayer remain and are working.

I can't log in to google calendar and I can't figure out how to enter my credentials.

I can live without google calendar but I'm hoping I'll figure it out (with help?) sooner or later. For the moment, i am happy with the upgrade.
dangerousbh

Post by dangerousbh »

Sounds promising 'smiler'
I will just have to be a bit more patient then.....
paulcdb

Post by paulcdb »

just updated but while its great that o2 have done this, it's a huge shame the joggler was never developed further and fulfilled it's potential.

I mean, the calendar seems to be a front for google (which doesn't work) instead of a proper, built in client which you can connect to say ical compatible server. The screensaver that comes with it looks great, although the space on the left could easily have been used to show upcoming appointments. Discussions with the supermarkets could've meant apps to be able to add stuff to your online order...

There was so much potential, although maybe now someone with knowledge will come along and make it really useful... I would've loved to have had 1 in the kitchen, bedroom... lol

I'll play some more tomorrow though once i've telnet'd to it!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

smiler wrote:My "old" apps - BBC iPlayer & Squeezeplayer remain and are working.
Wow - SqueezePlay is still working? Interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how things have been changed. Test Joggler is otherwise engaged at the moment, so I'll get there when I can. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

Is there a chance I could miss the boat on this? i.e. if all is confirmed fine in the next few days (as it seems to be so far with squeezeplay still functioning), and I return internet access to the joggler in a week, will the updates still occur? I assume so, but is there a chance it has to be online right now to get the updates? /paranoia.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

charlesr wrote:Is there a chance I could miss the boat on this? i.e. if all is confirmed fine in the next few days (as it seems to be so far with squeezeplay still functioning), and I return internet access to the joggler in a week, will the updates still occur? I assume so, but is there a chance it has to be online right now to get the updates? /paranoia.
Nope, you'll be fine. We've got a copy of the update hosted here, so even if the update dropped off a server somewhere, you could perform the update manually.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
charlesr

Post by charlesr »

Thankyoupleaselovelygreat.
fjt1973

Post by fjt1973 »

Hi all, new to the forum and the reason why because the update on the 30th I feel was a big disappointment so looking for an alternative.

The Radio IMO was the best bit about the Joggler and they replaced it with crappy games you can't delete.
Tsundere

Post by Tsundere »

I managed to get the old modified radio (the one where you can edit an xml file for alternate streams) installed but the volume control slider no longer appears. The only way to change volume is to....

Home -> Settings -> Audio -> Volume -> Slider -> Ok

...every time you want to adjust the volume.

What would have been better is if they made better use of that musical note icon in the new "taskbar" at top and have that bring up the volume slider with a tap. At the moment it does nothing other than light up to indicate audio is playing.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Watch this space though - I'm sure the tinkering has started already!
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

First post but been lurking for a couple of months since I got a Joggler off ebay. Great forum.

I've found this elsewhere on the web, which I entered via telnet (& rebooted), so I'm hoping I can dodge this bullet.

echo "127.0.0.1 localhost applog.openpeak.net o2.openpeak.com o2.openpeak.co.uk" > /etc/hosts

It's supposed to prevent the Joggler from checking for updates.

Do we know which domain the update is coming from? If it isn't one of the above I'm stuffed I guess.

I've tried the openpeak skin before via PnP and I much prefer the O2 one, and I don't want to lose the useful stuff and just be left with loads of rubbish games (although I'd delete them via ssh anyway).

Fingers crossed!
Glenn
HappyHooligan

Post by HappyHooligan »

Hi guys,

help me out here... I just updated my joggler with the link provided and I can't say I'm that impressed :cry:
I have a USA today app but I live in UK, the calendar constantly says it cant connect and I have lost my Squeezeplay when others have said theirs has stayed!
And what's with all the games? Like a previous post says, this device isn't being used to its full potential, I just hope there are some devs out there who'll come up with something better.
I'm flashing mine and putting PnP back on
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

In case anybody else is less than enamoured with the update (on balance, I think my preference is for the O2 version), if you have not already been updated you could try using the Update Control tool (click the 'various tools' link in my sig). It should, I think, prevent the new update from being applied.