O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Max

Re: O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by Max »

Hmmm.

I noticed this morning that the logs on my DNS server had filled up the partition. When I looked at the log file it was filled with requests to " o200.openpeak.co.uk", once every second. Pretty sure I've not seen this before.

I've blocked it on my DNS and also stuck the following entry at the end of /etc/hosts file on the joggler:

127.0.0.1 o200.openpeak.co.uk

This may block the updates.

Also interestingly there are requests to "teardrop.trafficmaster.co.uk", but this server is dead.

Can't see why they want to remove the radio app, it still works. I still use it everyday, Grrrr....

mjh
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Max wrote:Can't see why they want to remove the radio app, it still works. I still use it everyday, Grrrr....
I reckon they don't want to rely on third parties who may not be keen on retaining services for minority devices. I wouldn't worry - from the sounds of things the radio app is one of the more straightforward ones to modify. I can't imagine it'll be away for long. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

So credit to O2 for remembering that they used to sell Jogglers and that some people might still have them in use!

I assume that if you now normally boot a ubuntu type image from usb that this update will not have any effect?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Jarv_77 wrote:I assume that if you now normally boot a ubuntu type image from usb that this update will not have any effect?
Correct - if you're running an alternative OS then nothing will change.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Please don't link to the old wiki here, even if copying and pasting content from the other site. It will only help their google rank. Perhaps I should add the wiki to censored word list or something :)
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Does this mean we're losing Sky news? :(

That and the Lounge are the two apps I use the most.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have used their contact form to ask them to change the jogglerwiki link to this site - I don't have a lot of hope though if the email will make it to those have the power. we shall see.
gegs

Post by gegs »

BuZz wrote:I have used their contact form to ask them to change the jogglerwiki link to this site - I don't have a lot of hope though if the email will make it to those have the power. we shall see.
I've done the same. Maybe one email will hit the target.
JogglerDave

Post by JogglerDave »

I used the update control tool on my pnp mkII Joggler and it beeped once so I assume the latest build has it built in?
I rebooted and got the two beeps so hopefully no update come the 30th April.

Thanks again to all that work on these projects!
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Just a thought, maybe my evil mind working overtime though :twisted:

Can anyone foresee a glut of Jogglers when they start losing the calendar/radio Sky News features and people assume O2 are winding down the service and start putting them on eBay? ;)
gegs

Post by gegs »

A reply from O2 about changing the wiki link on their site:

"I've forwarded your details to our website support team, they'll look into this matter. I won't be able to give you a time-scale as to when this'll be done."

A bit vague but at least somebody read the email.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

they have fixed it! :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:they have fixed it! :)
Wow, they really have! Go O2! :)
gforums

Post by gforums »

these are fairly good news altough I also would miss the webradio on the original interface.
but no matter thanks to the fine working squeezeplay.

I really appreciate that o2 now is officially linking to our ressources here.
this and the update show that o2 emphasizes on happy customers.

I'm happy to see that the community here is still that active.
I am still using both of my jogglers only with squeezeplay running all days long and that makes a perfect webradio device.

-christian
gegs

Post by gegs »

Hi Christian, it's nice to see that you still visit the forums occasionally.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I've just read the details on the O2 website for the first time. Some interesting points are :
What’s happening to the O2 Joggler?

We are updating the Joggler between 30th April and 4th May with a new, larger set of apps and new look. You’ll now get great services like YouTube, Facebook, Google Maps, and many more. At the same time, we’ll be removing the O2 apps.

We are doing this so that we can focus on bring new, more innovative services to market.
That last sentence is great. I think the Joggler was very innovative, but it probably just wasn't profitable enough ? But it is good that O2 are not just letting it go and there is some sort of "Service wind-up" and handover to here...

What I'm most disappointed about is losing the messaging service. After having had a joggler for nearly a year and a half, I just got myself a messaging account the other day. Its quite good having a special number for SMS and for being able to send 50 free SMS per month. From looking at the list of new applications O2 will make available, there does not appear to be any alternative for messaging. Not a big issue, but I just think that it works well and it is a good feature.

Of course there are other messaging services that would provide the same/similar, but I imagine it would cost maybe £2/3 a month. And I guess it would be possible to connect a mobile phone either by cable or through wireless and use a SMS app to get the same. Actually in some ways this may be better as the O2 messaging number is a special number and SMSs sent to it may not come out of inclusive allowances, so whoever sent you a message would pay the networks standard SMS rate. I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to SMSs sent from O2 mobiles, and I don't know for other UK networks.

What would be good is to have a VoIP landline DID number that can receive SMS and can be used for incoming calls, faxes etc. But, I don't know any that offer this free. This number could then be set up with one of the cheap SMS sending services, say from Finarea/Betamax, and it would be similar, but would cost around 3 to 5 euro cents per SMS sent and whatever charge there is for the DID number.

Just had a look at the point on the messaging service :
What’s happening to the O2 Joggler Messaging App?

It will be removed when the device is updated. We recommend that you forward any messages you may want to keep, and try using one of the new apps once your update is complete.
Maybe I am missing something and it will be replaced.

I wonder if it is worth engaging with O2 on them handing over any internal documentation on the Joggler or tools they may have ? Also for having a contact in O2 for any common issues that may arise after the end of support and are difficult to resolve here / don't want to deal with here ?

O2 would know this, but I wonder how many stock os Jogglers are being regularly used ? 10K, 50K, 100K or whatever. That could be a lot of people coming here for answers and it could change this forum quite significantly to what it is at the moment.

Be interesting to hear what other people think...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

BTW there are plenty of sms services. I tried a friends one recently. as simple as a "WGET" to trigger a message, with his account/password as a parameter. could easily be built into an app, but I suspect they exist already. (It was also very cheap) - I'll get the details if you like.

Would be nice to get more "source" from them. the earlier source release missed a kernel driver for writing the efi chip.

and a service I currently use for voip and calls from landline is 75p per month for incoming number, that can accept texts and the end could be setup on a joggler I guess. That's http://www.localphone.com btw. if you like them, i can give you a referral link so I get some free minutes. heh. But I dont want to be too spammy (I do like their service so far, as you can setup local numbers in your area that redirect to your friends in other countries, and then use free calls from inclusive minutes on mobile or landline to call international numbers). For example I just called an 01235 number (I chose that as it is local to me from my landline) and had a chat with a mate in australia, at 0.8p a minute - from my mobile (as I had some minutes to use)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Before I sing their praises too much, its worth noting I had 4 disconnections during the call and I've not used the service much yet. Also seemed to be every 15 mins 30 seconds ish. Ive asked them if they know why. My mate has voip on the other end, so it could be an issue anywhere. I have made longer calls though, so I'm assuming its some bug somewhere not a feature ;-) still. was only 70p for 80 mins to landline in australia or something inc vat.

Its also worth noting there are lots of companies that offer this sort of service. I chose this one after a recommendation, and I liked their calls to international mobile rates.
gforums

Post by gforums »

gegs wrote:Hi Christian, it's nice to see that you still visit the forums occasionally.
Well maybe if I have some spare time, I'll create a little script to only install roobarbs squeezeplay + some of my mods together with a freh release of squeezebox server.
The server software is rather easy to install on the joggler and a refreshed version surely is nice.

For those, who like to use the device mainly to listen to radio, that is the easiest way to do so.
The whole PnP stuff is too complicated to work on in my little spare time now.

However I'll wait for the update and the see what can be modified best.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

BuZz - thanks for the advice on the VoIP and messaging services. The localphone number looks good. I will have a look into and and if I decide to go ahead, would be happy to be referred by you - its the least I can do for what you have done !

I know O2 got the website wrong to begin with, but that is likely a genuine mistake. But in a way O2 have taken a liberty in mentioning this site (given that that was their intention) without getting in touch first - I'm assuming they didn't.

They have now published this website and sent out a message, which likely 90% of non-visitors here and stock os users, will have not really thought about that much. When the re-flash happens, where do all those users go to, when things have disappeared / stopped working / realise the message they deleted related to their now FooBarred joggler. There could well be a lot of upset people. What about issues with the re-flash ? Can you see O2 saying "Sorry we don't support the Joggler any more, but you can visit JogglerWiKi.com and get help there". And then there will be people here who are "regular" users of the Joggler asking for help and are not as technically oriented as people are here.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is good news for this website, but do we know what to expect ? Should we prepare for it ? Should we be asking O2 for "somethings" (code, documentation, assistance, finance, etc?) to help in the matter. It could then imply an obligation to provide some sort of service, so I guess there is a fine line.
BuZz wrote: Would be nice to get more "source" from them. the earlier source release missed a kernel driver for writing the efi chip.
I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Also, it could be a non-event. Maybe, we've bought most of the Jogglers all ready ;-)