O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
monkums

Re: O2: Updating O2 Joggler on 30th April

Post by monkums »

monkums wrote:
BuckbyJon wrote:
pete_c wrote:If you unplug and replug in the Joggler do the icons come back?

If not you can probably do the upgrade again via the menu choice if it is there?

Mine has not updated here in the US.
I have replugged it and tried to update it but 'Tools' and 'Games' still don't have an icon and just a blank space. Strange that I have had most of the new icons but none of the new games at all or USA Today etc. There doesn't seem to be a way to Factory reset it.
I have the same issue that I posted in another thread.
As an update my second Joggler updated yesterday at some time so I tried the update option in settings on my first Joggler and this time it found an update and I now have all the icons.
glossta1

Post by glossta1 »

Thank you Chiliblue, I am thinking I will give Google Calendar a go. I started a new thread about the o2 Calendar issue in case others are facing the same conundrum. So far I have re-established my Google Calendar and paid for Googasync which should enable me to sync my Nokia N8 calendar with my Google one. So far, as ever with my N8, I am struggling to complete the Googasync download. When I've managed that and updated all my own entries I will start making a plan to set the rest of the family up.
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

andjos wrote:Well wish i hadnt updated, what a disaster!
May as well put it on ebay, main thing I used was the internet radio....now gone........ and I had free texts...now gone
Who thinks that we want all the games!

Anyone know if you can reverse things back on this, need the internet radio at least
Just re flash with the old firmware, mine is back as it was and all working except the text messaging.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Does this work still? I thought the new update had broken the Joggler's ability to run USB installers.
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

gegs wrote:Does this work still? I thought the new update had broken the Joggler's ability to run USB installers.
No appears not, I had a usb drive already done following a crash which I had used before to put back the original firmware. Just plugged it in did a reboot and 5 minutes later back as it was, all working. That was a week ago, and they have not tried to update since then.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

psionguy wrote:
gegs wrote:Does this work still? I thought the new update had broken the Joggler's ability to run USB installers.
No appears not, I had a usb drive already done following a crash which I had used before to put back the original firmware. Just plugged it in did a reboot and 5 minutes later back as it was, all working. That was a week ago, and they have not tried to update since then.
The reflash tool doesn't boot into the Joggler software so that's why it still works (and the other distros). Things like PnP work when the Joggler is booting into its OS and it is them (they?) that don't work on the updated Jogglers.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:
psionguy wrote:
The reflash tool doesn't boot into the Joggler software so that's why it still works (and the other distros). Things like PnP work when the Joggler is booting into its OS and it is them (they?) that don't work on the updated Jogglers.
Wouldn't be much use for restoring a broken OS if it needed the broken OS to be working in order to boot, would it? ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks for the clarification guys. There's a lot of stuff on the forum about not being able to get the Joggler to boot into anything after the update and a reflash.

I'm kind of wary but I've got nothing to lose because I've lost everything I want and there's nothing new on the update that I like (OK that's not strictly true - the Flickr app makes a nice photo slideshow and the Accuweather app is very good, but apart from them...)
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

pete_c wrote:Here in the US/Chicago area I no longer get any radio stations on my base Joggler O2 PnP MK II'd OS (before the update).

Interesting that they are all off now.
Radio on the old firmware is still working in the UK, still it early days and perhaps it could still be turned off.
Glenn2

Post by Glenn2 »

The radio app only needs working URLs for the streams as far as I know.
You can edit jogContent.xml which is in the radio app directory and change the lounge streams to others.
I did this anyway for the commercial stations because the lounge ones seemed to be low-bitrate terrible-sounding ones, so I just replaced the URLs in that file with better streams for the same stations.
You can also save the icons locally on the joggler and replace the icon URLs with the path and filename of the locally-stored icon.
I did this to add some of my favourite web stations (such as the brilliant Radio Paradise for example) so I can listen without my squeezebox server PC running.
psionguy

Post by psionguy »

Does this work still? I thought the new update had broken the Joggler's ability to run USB installers.[/quote]
No appears not, I had a usb drive already done following a crash which I had used before to put back the original firmware. Just plugged it in did a reboot and 5 minutes later back as it was, all working. That was a week ago, and they have not tried to update since then.[/quote]
Wouldn't be much use for restoring a broken OS if it needed the broken OS to be working in order to boot, would it? ;)[/quote]
It may well work; I compiled this usb drive some time ago following a crash which left me with a non-booting joggler. It work then, and did the trick to reverse the online update, details how to do it is on this website, got to be worth ago.
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Looks like the Sky News app has stopped updating as its still dated 18;32 sunday...
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:Looks like the Sky News app has stopped updating as its still dated 18;32 sunday...
Yep, mine is the same here on all Jogglers.
Max

Post by Max »

ordessa wrote:Looks like the Sky News app has stopped updating as its still dated 18;32 sunday...

The news app get's it's news from:

http://o2active.sky.com/nemo/getfeed.as ... &feed=news

Which doesn't look like it's being updated any more.

Edit: Spelling.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

and I guess it wont be since they are killing the feeds for their apps for the old O2 firmware.
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Yet Sky Sports News is still working! :?
dangerousbh

Post by dangerousbh »

After a couple of weeks running my joggler with the update it had come or less a redundant tool in the corner of my living room.
However most recently it started to do an odd thing whereby it would, during its screensaver of my photos, change randomly to a program of its choice, mainly the alarm clock, it would then after a while begin the slideshow again, I had up until this week ignored it even though as the days progressed it became more active in doing this. Tonight I get in and was faced with just just a blank screen!! :o
I have unplugged it and am going to leave it for a while and see if it reboots.... fingers crossed!
glossta1

Post by glossta1 »

After scrambling successfully to get all my Family Calendar entries moved over to Google Calendar by 31st May, I find today that our o2 Family Calendar is still there to look at (although I haven't yet tried to add an entry - perhaps I should?), and there is still a Joggler tab on the o2 Family page of their website looking the same as it always did, as far as I could tell...

Did I get something wrong? I thought it was all due to die at close of 31/5. Anyone know?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

The discontinuation/update is taking longer than planned so things are temporarily still running.
glossta1

Post by glossta1 »

Oh, I see. I was beginning to hope the Faily Calendar would still be available, albeit not through the Joggler.