What would you like windows joggler to do next?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

What would you like windows joggler to do next?

Post by danfoshizzle »

Just thinking out loud, but what would you guys like to see in a new windows image, a new explorer? any programs or apps that you would like to see included and set up ready to go? got a link to a funky windows theme? Was even going to try and get windows to launch android apps! now that would be something lol

If anyone's got any ideas for a new release, drop a reply! Was just thinking that a community edition of windows xp on the joggler would be an awesome way of everyone getting what they truly want from windows!

Edit: apologies for all the exclamation marks lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
gegs

Re: What would you like windows joggler to do next?

Post by gegs »

I haven't tried Windows yet on the Joggler but I will soon and get back to you. I've read good things about it.
Last edited by gegs on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yeah give it a go, any of the current builds are awesome
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

VNC! I suspect there's someone out there who now has a load of jogglers with smashed screens....cough.. ebay job lot.. cough. The Joggler works headless, so they'll still be useful as servers.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Come on Fess up who bought them Job Lot Jogglers ?
I think in the spirit of development Dan should get the bit he needs for his lol
;-)

Got my thinking cap on for ideas
Happy Joggling
rsjackson

Post by rsjackson »

Slingbox player and Squeezebox Player please. That would be great
lichung

Post by lichung »

I would love to see a lightweight 2003 server with minimal background processes. That way I could tailor joggler into a fast delivering NAS. XP seems unstable to me. :lol:
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Have a search on this forum. Dan has made a couple of minimal W2003 images already, although he may be planning another. :)

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

@lichung, use foshiz mini v1. that is server 2003
more to come!!

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I haven't tried an xp image on the Joggler, but with any MS OS, one of my greatest concerns is the ability to update with the latest patches and to have some degree of control over what happens.

I like to use autopatcher.com for my XP netbook. This project seems to be alive again as there was a stage where I thought it may not continue.

So I guess what I am asking is :

* What is updating/patching like on the Joggler XP image at the mo
* If there is need for improvement, is there any way this could be done ?

Also, what security setup for minimal resource usage would be best i.e anti virus, anti malware, firewall, IDS etc ?

One of the reasons I prefer Linux on the Joggler, is I believe there are less threats and consequently I feel (perhaps ignorantly) more confident about using less security tools, which I expect would have less demand on resources.

Thanks
motoko

Post by motoko »

I use it to run Spotify, the Joggler is plugged into a stereo, I use an app on my iPhone to control Spotify. So its my poor mans version of a Sonos system :)
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Sorry if I'm asking for something that has already been covered or may just not be viable...

What are the prospects of getting a Win 7 extreme light build for the Joggler ? I have seen that there are a few Win 7 light distros around, but haven't used them.

I've been lurking for a long time and getting my daily fix of JogglerWiKi goodness has become an addiction. I think some great stuff is happening here and it has been amazing to see this...
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Windows 7 is extremely difficult to implement unfortunately, its a dream both me and Mevi share, but so far is looking unlikely :(
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Juggler, the link in my signature links to my XP build which is fully featured, passes windows genuine advantage, etc. I think you'll be able to do pretty much what you want with it, within reason.

XP works on the joggler based on the hard work getting XP on the intel mac before there was bootcamp. It was then modified for the Joggler by Eric. a lot of people cleverer than me, so I suspect we'd need some outside help to get W7 working on the Joggler. I joined reboot.pro to get more knowledge as they seem to have everything booting something! The Joggler EFI is not the version supported by Microsoft, so their bootloader won't run. The 32bit EFI bootloader from an old Vista beta is knocking around on the forum.

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Dan, Mevi - thanks for your replies. Mevi - it is interesting to know the background on Windows on the Joggler (perhaps it could be called WinJo's ?)

Its a shame about Win 7 - I have no idea what the issues are, but I wonder if anyone has got it working on an Intel Mac - as Mevi pointed out this is how XP on the Joggler was started, plus a lot of great work by yourselves.

Thanks for explaining the update aspect of the Windows releases. I have genuine media & licences for pretty much all the major MS OS going back 25+ years, but I tend to use "alternative" releases for the OS I use, as these have been slimmed down and slipstreamed with patches to a more recent time. Consequently, I have been unwilling to use MS update in case it all goes awry. So this is where stuff like autopatcher has been useful, plus I can control exactly what patches are applied, it includes heavily used non-MS software too, and has a great tool for tweaks.

Actually, thinking a long the lines of tweaks, I wonder if there is a set of tweaks (UI modifications etc), that people would make for whatever reason to make their Windows Joggler experience better for them. If there are quite a few things, maybe there is scope for a Windows Joggler tweak tool, presented in an appropriate interface, so that any/most Windows Joggler users can adapt their OS easily. Again, I'm thinking of something like the autopatcher tweaker, but it could well be different.

I realise I have mentioned autopatcher a lot, but I have nothing to do with that project.

I really have to try XP on the Joggler as it is my main OS elsewhere, at the moment, plus I have a bit more experience with MS Os's than Linux. Just need to get a hard drive working with the Joggler, as my old flash drive through a super cheap hub is just painful at the moment, using Ubuntu. Its not an issue with Ubuntu. In fact, I've got to like Ubuntu through using it on the Joggler, that I'd like to have a dual boot on my main PC.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

XOM (XP on Mac) that XOJ is based on came before Apple offered official suppport for Windows through Bootcamp. Since Bootcamp, all current Windows OS have been supported. W7 boots in a completely different way to XP, so none of the existing tools for the Joggler apply. The XP I put together for the joggler is based on Tiny XP which is heavily modified by the eXPerience team to run as best as it can. I put TweakUI on there too. In fact, I put a whole lot of stuff on there to make it fit in with most people's needs. You might want to turn off or uninstall things that don't apply to you, turn off the theme, etc.

Dan's current XP build is stripped right back and runs very well - it's a barebone installation. IF a USB stick is what you have right now, it won't do any harm to give it a go. XP doesn't feel noticeably quicker or slower than Xubuntu, to me anyway.

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Thanks for your reply, Mevi.

I think I'd really better try out yours and Dan's builds and get some real experience... I'd like to get my Joggler working with a hard drive, and I think that will make a significant difference.

I tend to go for performance rather than looks, so it is good to know about the differences in your builds, and tools on there to make changes.

Performance wise, all the security software I use on XP on my netbook eats up a lot of the resources. This was why I asked about this earlier. I wonder what security software works on on the Joggler without eating up too much resource, but provides appropriate protection ?

On my netbook I have running in the background :

Avast
Spybot
Comodo
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard - bit old now and only relevant to IE

I also have installed and can use if necessary
Malwarebytes Antimalware
and possibly some others that I've forgotten about / can't find easily

Sometimes Avast and Comodo can be real hogs, but they've helped save my bacon on several occasions !

TIA
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Foshiz mini was built with speed in mind, although its also pretty good looking, try avira free for a lighter on resources anti virus, and have malwarebytes installed just in case
more to come!!

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Thanks Dan - I will give it a go.

I've got some quite important applications for my Joggler, so working in XP there will be less of a learning curve. Plus it would be good to try some different security software, they won't be directly attached to the net, so there will be less of a risk there. Any anyway, even if it is compromised it will be a good exercise to identify and remove (I have a feeling I may regret saying that...).
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

No, rooting out out a virus for yourself can be fun lol I have not used an antivirus for years now, and my pc is clean as a whistle, as long as your careful there should not be a problem!
more to come!!