Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

Post by pete »

Yes here installed HASSIO in home #2 and still learning with it. I am only using remote access to it at this time and just doing MQTT there.

This home installed a wireless Ring alarm system and a Ring to MQTT plugin.

I also went to using GoSund in wall dimmer switches updated to Tasmota a scripting firmware and Gosund Template / script.

On a side note:

I found a small mini PCiE USB and SSD controller with bare wires to fit inside of the Openpeak 2 a few weeks back. I ordered it from Russian and have no clue how long it will take to get to me.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I'll have to revisit my Hubitat automation hub. Technology is moving way fast these days and maybe though it is my age. ;)
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

castalla wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:58 pm I had plans to use this as a headless server for LMS. LMS installs fine. BUT when I reboot LMS is unreachable (even 'tho top shows it as running). Trying to purge LMS gives a lot of error messages about locked and read only files.

A bit of a shame.
Similar experience here.
l had a lot of inconsistency over when it'd work. Sometimes it'd run after a single install. Other times it'd take two goes. But a reboot tends to kill it.
During the installation process I've been through bootloops and various errors, both of which meant I've had to reflash.
Results are too unpredictable to give me the confidence to be able to replicate even one single successful install on another unit.
Back to PnPIII it is with LMS 7.9.0. :(
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:34 am
castalla wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:58 pm I had plans to use this as a headless server for LMS. LMS installs fine. BUT when I reboot LMS is unreachable (even 'tho top shows it as running). Trying to purge LMS gives a lot of error messages about locked and read only files.

A bit of a shame.
Similar experience here.
l had a lot of inconsistency over when it'd work. Sometimes it'd run after a single install. Other times it'd take two goes. But a reboot tends to kill it.
During the installation process I've been through bootloops and various errors, both of which meant I've had to reflash.
Results are too unpredictable to give me the confidence to be able to replicate even one single successful install on another unit.
Back to PnPIII it is with LMS 7.9.0. :(
Actually @castalla solved this problem, an edit to /etc/fstab

have a read from this post

viewtopic.php?p=32333#p32333

ronnie
Last edited by Man in a van on Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Man in a van wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:12 pm Actually @castalla solved this problem, an edit to /etc/fdisk

ronnie
You mean fstab?
This was done, but the problem is that it doesn't even start up at all.
"sudo service logitechmediaserver status" shows it's running but the Squeezeboxes can't see it and there's no web server.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:23 pm
Man in a van wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:12 pm Actually @castalla solved this problem, an edit to /etc/fdisk

ronnie
You mean fstab?
This was done, but the problem is that it doesn't even start up at all.
"sudo service logitechmediaserver status" shows it's running but the Squeezeboxes can't see it and there's no web server.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I have now corrected it ;)

If it is running, at least you are part way there. Did you read on on from the link ?

You need to have have run

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libnet-ssleay-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl  libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl lame -y
Did you try to re-install LMS on top of itself ?

If you did and it doesn't work, then just pull the power plug and then power back on after a long wait (24hrs is enough, Ionce left an install as not working and when I powered the Joggler up after a few weeks, it was ticketyboo :o .

And if that doesn't work, I give up :cry:

ronnie
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 pm
Tried that and I reckon I must have run out of space because it fails.
Tried 7.9.2.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:51 pm
Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 pm
Tried that and I reckon I must have run out of space because it fails.
Tried 7.9.2.
OK, so I guess you are using the internal ram and not an external usb stick.

SSH in to the joggler and run

sudo apt remove logitechmediaserver
This will remove most of the lms install but should leave your preferences

Then install the lms download that is in your home directory (mine is v 7.9.3 http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Logite ... er_v7.9.3/)

either (use your own version, obvs :) )

sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.9.3_i386.deb
or

sudo apt install ./logitechmediaserver_7.9.3_i386.deb
then check with

sudo apt -f install
and finish with

sudo reboot
ronnie

It might be better to try a usb stick to get it working. They are faster and it's easy to make a back-up image.

Any 8GB or 16Gb is enough and then you can look for a short one, I use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ33 ... 42&sr=8-19
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Man in a van wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:07 pm
Then install the lms download that is in your home directory (mine is v 7.9.3 http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Logite ... er_v7.9.3/)
Did you manage to get 7.9.3 on your Joggler using internal only?
I seem to remember you mentioned you had a slimmed-down version of LMS?

Trying to remove LMS gave:
"The following packages will be REMOVED:
logitechmediaserver
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 158 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
files list file for package 'python3-six' is missing final newline
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

I think I'll need to start from scratch.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:41 am
Man in a van wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:07 pm
Did you manage to get 7.9.3 on your Joggler using internal only?

Yes, but, as I have oft said, it's very tight on space, much better to use an external usb 2 stick

I seem to remember you mentioned you had a slimmed-down version of LMS?

NO, I mentenioned that PNP3 Updated version v3.60 has a modified version of LMS (it's mentioned somewhere in the docs)

Trying to remove LMS gave:
"The following packages will be REMOVED:
logitechmediaserver
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 158 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
files list file for package 'python3-six' is missing final newline
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

I think I'll need to start from scratch.

Good idea
ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@vinnielo

I'm going to sen you a link to download my LMS / Squeezeplay install for the Joggler.

It's for a USB stick (or if you have a usb external sd card reader, you can pop it that).

Unzip the file before burning (I used the rpi imager tool)

You will have to go

Settings > Audio Settings > Audio Interface > and change to Internal (mixer)

then reboot if you want to use the internal joggler speaker.

If you have a problem accessing the internal LMS called Openframe, try connecting from a web browser to check that it is running.

The more I play with this, it strikes me that the Joggler is really only good for Squeezeplay and LMS is best on a raspberry pi

ronnie
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Man in a van wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:39 pm @vinnielo

I'm going to sen you a link to download my LMS / Squeezeplay install for the Joggler.
That's very kind of you but I'm going to be reluctant to try anything that hasn't been tested by at least a small number of other users.
Has anyone else tried this with reliable success?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 pm

That's very kind of you but I'm going to be reluctant to try anything that hasn't been tested by at least a small number of other users.
Well that's your choice.

It's your problem now, I'm doing a "Dragon's Den" ;)
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Man in a van wrote:
vinnielo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Well that's your choice.

It's your problem now, I'm doing a "Dragon's Den" ;)
Well, it's for that reason I'm out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Does the build of Squeezeplay offered by of-install have sound effects disabled?
I've tried enabling the sound effects for navigation (Settings -> Audio Settings) to no avail.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've updated the build system to produce a kernel 3.16 version of the image every 30 days now, while the kernel 5.4 version continues to monitor the 5.4 releases. This should keep us with fully up-to-date images; with the recent root certificate expiries the 3.16 images were falling further behind in a way that would impact people upon first firing them up.

Please let me know of any issues.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Okay folks, I've rebuilt my server on Debian Bullseye to support the latest images, which means Ubuntu Bionic will no longer receive regular updates. Standard support from Canonical ends next April, while Bullseye is expected to have support until June 2026.

There will be no new Ubuntu based builds in the future as they are ending 32-bit support. Debian still fully supports the i386 architecture and I rather prefer it as a base system these days. Hopefully you all will too, now the the latest 5.10 kernel!

If you are desperate for an updated Ubuntu Bionic build with 5.10 kernel, let me know - I do still have a local build virtual machine, so can rustle up refreshed copies if needed.

Hopefully see you on the Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame thread. 8-)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

roobarb! wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:44 am Okay folks, I've rebuilt my server on Debian Bullseye to support the latest images, which means Ubuntu Bionic will no longer receive regular updates. Standard support from Canonical ends next April, while Bullseye is expected to have support until June 2026.

There will be no new Ubuntu based builds in the future as they are ending 32-bit support. Debian still fully supports the i386 architecture and I rather prefer it as a base system these days. Hopefully you all will too, now the the latest 5.10 kernel!

If you are desperate for an updated Ubuntu Bionic build with 5.10 kernel, let me know - I do still have a local build virtual machine, so can rustle up refreshed copies if needed.

Hopefully see you on the Debian Bullseye for OpenFrame thread. 8-)
Thank you very much for all your help roobarb! I greatly appreciate it and I'm sure many others do also.

I haven't been on here for some time. I just clicked on the link to the latest image in your signature here and my firefox is complaining :

"Web sites prove their identity via certificates, which are valid for a set time period. The certificate for birdslikewires.net expired on 22/10/2022.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE"

I have https as the preferred protocol.

I'm still running server versions of Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 so will be good to try some later images.

I wonder how the latest Debian image compares electricity usage wise ? Of course this depends mostly on what is done with the Joggler. Having said that, when I've used powertop on my laptop, I've been quite surprised at the power usage of say wifi adaptors that are not being used. I think there quite a few devices that could be turned off or unneeded services and processed that can be terminated or not started.

One of my 24/7 on for years Jogglers is down at the moment as I think the non OpenPeak replacement power supply may be a source of problems. It may be related to some power outages we had a few months back. I need to check the power supply well before depending on it again. The OpenPeak power supplies are the best by far. The power supply, potential fault, damaged the USB drive I was using. I managed to image the USB drive but now the drive hangs on insertion with dmesg stating that the partition table cannot be read. I've tried a few different machines but same result on all. Some years ago I reflashed the firmware on a USB flash drive that was failing and I managed to get it working again, but wouldn't trust it with any remotely valuable data. All I want to do is overwrite the first block, where the partition table is, in the hope that I could do a reformat. Strange thing was that the USB thumb drive became read only. I think it may be some sort of fail safe, if the drive recognises some internal damage or failure over a some threshold.
pete

Post by pete »

The Openpeak 5VDC power supplies are still available for purchase. For a time here I was using POE power splitters to provide power to the Jogglers.

I have 15 Jogglers today running 24/7 and did notice over the years that the power supply / NIC / Audio board was becoming loose. IE: when you plugged in the power supply it pushed in the board and did not make a power connection.

One by one over the last two weeks took the Jogglers apart. Removed the old hot melt glue which had softened and used one drop of Gorilla glue on each side of the board. This now forms a good bond on the horizontal board that slides in to the back.

I also purchased a box of Kapton tape and redid it all inside. The box of tape has 4 sizes of Kapton tape. On the Seabios Openpeak devices I have no issues fitting the SSD drive over the USB wireless stick.

Procedure to take apart the Joggler and reglue the NIC board.

1 - take the back cover off (4 screws on the bottom of the case in the rear)
2 - take the LCD touchscreen monitor cable off the main motherboard of the Joggler (carefully)
3 - remove the 5 screws holding the motherboard to the case.
4 - move the motherboard out and disconnect the ribbon cable that goes from the horizontal board to the main board. There is a clip that keeps the stiff ribbon cable in place.
5 - carefully using a sharp tool remove the hot melt glue. Mine came off right away.
6 - put one drop of gorrilla glue on each side of the track that the board slides on. Let it dry some 5-6 hours. It will not move again.
7 - reassemble the joggler. The horizontal board with NIC, audio and power will not move again.

I utilize a Windows tool to reformat the USB and or SSD devices. It is very slow and works 100% of the time. I purchased it. The free one is very slow.

It is called HDDGuru. It works fine on 32/64 Gb USB sticks and makes them like new. I run this program in W7 / XPe. I have used this program on the 1-2 Gb eMMC drives in the Joggler, Openpeak 1 and 2. You have to boot the Joggler in windows though using Seabios or just use another computer.

https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Lo ... rmat-Tool/

To copy the USB sticks or SSD partitions here utilize GParted which works 100% of the time these days.

For a non openpeak 2 AMP 5VDC power supply you can utillize the:

Intertek 5VDC, 2A Power Supply with Barrel Connector posted on Ebay for $6.99 USD

New Openpeak power supplies are available on Ebay for $10.49.

OpenPeak 5VDC 4A Switching Power Supply (LFS054000D-8AS)

I have not had any Openpeak power supplies fail me in the last 10 years or so.

You can also replace the EFI 1Mb boot chip with a new chip doing the hot swap on the chip. You need two Jogglers to do this.
Or use the old chip and write over it again.

Steps:

1 - take apart your Joggler to get access to the socketed boot chip as described above.
2 - boot up with original OS
3 - plug in a writable USB stick
Best to download my USB stick image with realtek writing software and Joggler ROMs and use this one.
4 - Backup ROM
modprobe fh
dd if=/dev/fh of=/mnt/efi.img bs=1024
5 - do the hot swap of the chip while Joggler is on.
6 - write the back up ROM to the new chip
7 - dd if=/mnt/efi.img of=/dev/fh bs=1024

You can still purchase the 1Mb ROM chips from electronic parts supplies.

Personally here utilize the Avaya boot rom EFI ROM chip image and the Seabios image.

For the new Debian build here have gone external 32Gb mini USB stick. It is working fine these days. For my rebuild of the Seabios Openpeak devices have gone to new flipped ribbon cables and new 16Gb SSD drives running embedded XP. Fit is around 8Gb on these. Having issues writing Linux to the Seabios'd Openpeak devices.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Juggler wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:03 am Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE"
My fault... I think I changed to automatic certificate generation for HTTPS but forgot to have the web server restart occasionally to use them. Oopsie.

Seems okay now! :lol:

EDIT: Ha, yes, I did. The things you forget that you've done! But my cerbot job now runs with --post-hook "systemctl restart nginx" at the end, so the certificates actually get used. 8-)
Juggler wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:03 am I wonder how the latest Debian image compares electricity usage wise ?
I measured this a while ago, but haven't with the latest Bullseye revision. I'll check at some point - I think it's about 1W when the screen is off but connected to wifi.