Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

Post by pete »

Good news Andy!!!

I could never get open the Openpeak 2 tabletop. I do have an Openpeak open motherboard to test with.

Working on a couple of side endeavors here.

Purchased EMC drives for a new NAS box and couldn't get them to work and found out that you have to change the bios on the EMC drives in order to get them recognized using a standard PC with an LSi SAS Raid controller. Well and started to change the pads and rotors on my SUV.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andi

Post by Andi »

How do you turn off / extend the auto-off of the screen when in console/TTY mode?

Thanks for all your help with my Joggler via Twitter, Andy. Much appreciated and glad it's all sorted now!
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
Has any one tried dosbox on this yet. Waiting for the wifi/bluetooth
dongle to arrive.
Andrew
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

How would i be able to get to a minimal desktop in as few steps possible using a bootable stick i make using the download from the Birdslikewires site please .
I will set up initially with Ethernet but will buy the recommended wireless adapter soon and i can hopefully just plug that in for it to work .
Thanks
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
How do I get this to see my WD Mycloud. Samba is installed.
I have a desktop installed xfce4. I do a little write up in the
next few days. Not all of it work though.
Andrew
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:41 pmI could never get open the Openpeak 2 tabletop. I do have an Openpeak open motherboard to test with.
I took some pictures before putting it back together - the 'jig' used by Openpeak pushed up the four plastic tabs on the bottom of the screen at the same time, which would have made opening them up for SIM installation really simple. They clearly had that in mind, as the SIM slot (unpopulated on mine) is the only accessible item on the main board from this side. My guess would be that they needed the unit secure enough that people couldn't pinch the SIM cards, but easy enough for local assembly staff to populate the SIMs.

I'll upload them once I've ditched the duplicates.

They're a fiddle to open without the jig, but you can't go far wrong. I used a straw from a compressed air can to press at the tabs, that way it bent before I could apply enough pressure to break off a tab. The outer ones were trickiest for me, the last one being an absolute pain - but don't be tempted to pull on the screen! There's no way it'll release if the tab is engaged.

Oh, the one I took apart is Openpeak branded with no embossing to the speaker grille. It has a socketed EFI chip, just like the OpenFrame 1 / Joggler.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andi wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:30 pm How do you turn off / extend the auto-off of the screen when in console/TTY mode?
I believe setterm is your friend here.

Code: Select all

setterm -blank 10           # Blank the screen in 10 minutes
setterm -powersave on       # Put the monitor into VESA power saving mode
setterm -powerdown 20       # Set the VESA powerdown to 20 minutes
Andi wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:30 pmThanks for all your help with my Joggler via Twitter, Andy. Much appreciated and glad it's all sorted now!
No problem!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hawsey wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:46 pm How would i be able to get to a minimal desktop in as few steps possible
Last time I tried:

sudo of-expand
sudo apt update
sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop
I think that pretty much did it.

There are more minimal desktops out there than that, though.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

roobarb! wrote:
hawsey wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:46 pm How would i be able to get to a minimal desktop in as few steps possible
Last time I tried:

sudo of-expand
sudo apt update
sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop
I think that pretty much did it.

There are more minimal desktops out there than that, though.
Thank you even I should be able to do that .

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
I also installed xserver as well. Also wicd for wifi and gparted to start it in terminal sudo gparted. I installed xfce4 that's the one only one I could get to work.
But usb drives don't show on the desktop or file manager but show up on lsusb.
I would like it to see WDMyclould what do I need to install.
Just a newbie poking around to see what I can do while I have the time.
Many Thanks
Andrew
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

I installed thunar-volman still same. Don't know to do now😟.
Andrew
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
Slowly getting there now I can see WDMycould and play music from it.
sudo apt install gvfs-backends. Still having some issues with usb drives though.
Andrew

Update
Even with ntfs-3g installed it doesn't like it.
But with linux drives ext4 it appears to be fine with.
Now I know its no biggie right now.
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
Update-Initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Why is not updating. Also is there something like the old dos shell for linux.
Andrew
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Hey @Andrew1971 - These are some pretty specific questions that I think you'd be better off asking on the Ubuntu / Debian forums. I'm not familiar with a lot of the software you've mentioned, so can't be of much help I'm afraid.
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
@roobarb thank you for your reply. I can live with the issues I was
just curious on why it said deferring update. Now slowly testing a few
web browsers and then try bluetooth. At the moment I have had some
fun trying different things out. Still learning new things with it.
Thank you for creating the new os for the joggler.
Many Thanks
Andrew
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andrew1971 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 am Now slowly testing a few web browsers
Do post if you have any particular successes - I've found Chromium to be remarkably usable, but there are plenty of options out there.
HarmlessSaucer

Post by HarmlessSaucer »

Hey everyone! Firstly... THANKS for the Ubuntu image! It's so awesome that something so modern can run decently on this box - I'm really surprised at the performance!

However, I'm seeing some weird issues with the OS saying that it's a read only file system.

For example, if I run 'sudo apt update':

W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (30: Read-only file system)
It doesn't always happen all the time, I can reboot and sometimes it's fine. I've tried a couple of different USB sticks (different makes) and I've tried both the internal and external USB ports and I'm getting the same. Pretty strange.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

HarmlessSaucer wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:40 pmIt doesn't always happen all the time, I can reboot and sometimes it's fine.
Been puzzling this one, but I can only conclude that it's a hardware issue of some kind, either your Joggler or the stick. If you're writing to the stick with the Raspberry Pi imaging tool, does it verify okay? I guess it must do.

I don't suppose you have a second Joggler to compare?
HarmlessSaucer

Post by HarmlessSaucer »

No but I have been eyeing some up on eBay!
What’s kinda strange is I re-imaged using three different sticks maybe 6/7 times in total to try different things and got it every time after varying amounts of time... flashed Ubuntu to the internal drive and it worked fine without issue. I then quickly realised the internal drive is pretty small and I ran out of space pretty quick! So I setup the USB drive again... since then it’s been flawless *touch wood*. No idea why! Thanks though!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

HarmlessSaucer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:24 pmSo I setup the USB drive again... since then it’s been flawless *touch wood*. No idea why! Thanks though!
Fingers crossed for you! :)