Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

-=xXx=- wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:31 pm I coun't compile emgd driver under bionic want to try under Trusty, I also have you old script but it stoped working with Trusty also.
I can still use command ./of-imgcreate.sh trust ext2 1 2048 32 0 trusty overlay-trusty kernel with new script but kernel never copies to image.
Hmm, I don't know why the old script would have stopped working, that could only happen with some major external change.

If you're using a new version it may only be copying the kernel itself, not the headers needed for compiling. You can install the headers afterwards with dpkg.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I don't think it's copying the kernel, boot partition doesn't have it...
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi,
if someone needs Joggler bionic with kernel 4.4.121 end EMGD driver, kodi 17.6 from oficial repository can be installed (apt install kodi)
Say thanks to roobarb! for his debootstrap script and thopiekar vs trs79 for EMGD drivers.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ei2cfg7x ... mg.gz/file

the image is from Joggler internal flash (only 488Mb occupied) if you want to write it to usb change grub (didn't try but it should work.)
pete

Post by pete »

@xxx

So I can write this image directly to the 1 / 2 Gb eMMC.

Does it have x.org base stuff?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Yes, it includes xorg 1.9 mesa 7.9 and emgd driver...
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you xxx.

Will try doing RTSP streaming via VLC on your build.

Been doing local RTSP streaming now on my Amazon Show. Works great.

IE: "Alexa show me the front door" or "Alexa show me the driveway" et al.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Just checked the old (new) build on the Joggler...

root@openframe:~# lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation US15W/US15X SCH [Poulsbo] Graphics Controller (rev 07)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller
Kernel driver in use: gma500
Kernel modules: gma500_gfx

joggler@openframe:~$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 19.0.8
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

This is what version ? the kernel I used doesn't have gma500 driver...
Last edited by -=xXx=- on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

This is Andy's old build...and updated to LUbuntu lite a while back (a few weeks back) and updated again today (Jogglers been off for a bit now)

Looked at my archives and it was a build from August.

Just looked and Andy's newer build is a couple of days old.

bio-ext2-1028-32-bionic-5.2.17op.img.gz 22-Sep-2019 06:29 164119651

Today downloaded newest build and wiped out old build and installed this one.

Want to see how VLC RTSP streaming is working on it...that was the only reason I turned it on today.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

VLC RTSP streaming is working fine here. Testing it with new 3MP Doorbell Cam (Hikvision). It is a 180 lens and a nice view but tiny even though it uses the entire Joggler screen.

Tried initially to install the LUbuntu core desktop and it was a tad too big.

Next will install Squeezeplayer.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Before Squeezeplayer will install KODI.

Also enabling another Openframe 2 with XXX's Ubuntu build / KODI build.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

This time around tested on a new unused boxed Openframe 2 that I had sitting around. Wrote the new OS to the 2Gb partition. Updated it to a simple GUI and let it sit connected to the internet for a while. I did reboot it a few times when first installed. It's now been a few weeks.

Note: went off testing and installing a Ring Doorbell. I liked it but it was too restrictive so purchased a Hikvision doorbell. Like this one way better. No service fee associated with it and eventually it will work fine with my Amazon Show devices. (plus two RTSP streams and one JPG capture stream plus the cloud stuff if I want o use it).

I got back to it yesterday. SSH'd and updated it and rebooted and there were errors in the RW of the eMMC and the device would no longer boot. It was working perfectly with it's simple desktop. This is the same that has occurred with the testing Jogglers. This had me thinking that all of the Jogglers and Openframe 1-2's I tested had bad eMMCs.

NOTE: I have had 3 of these running and updated Squeezeplayer for a couple of years now. (2 jogglers and 1 openframe 2). I have updated and rebooted all of the time via the SQP menu and ssh.

Going to test the same device with the old Squeezebox player OS to see how it does as I have 3-4 of these running on Jogglers and Openframe 2 devices. These have been up now for years 24/7 updated an rebooting and never do have issues with these. These are using Trusty.

IE: here is an old one which I updated this morning and use every day as a Squeezebox player for my morning news:

Jog-SQP-18:~# uname -a
Linux ICS-Jog-SQP-18 3.18.2op4 #4 SMP Thu Jan 15 16:26:27 GMT 2015 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

So testing this new Openframe 2 now with the old Trusty build. No desktop base and just Squeezeplayer.

So wrote the two old files on to the reflash usb stick:

1 - sqpos303_of2.img.gz.md5
2 - sqpos303_of2.img.gz

and flashed the OP2 with said USB stick.

Updated apt lists and updated device and will leave running. Note that this one will boot right away to the Squeeze player OS.

Updated OS and rebooted.

root@openframe:~# uname -a
Linux openframe 3.18.2op4 #4 SMP Thu Jan 15 16:26:27 GMT 2015 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Now putting on a shelf leaving it run and ignoring it to come back to it in a week or so.

Note too here the ones running Automation touchscreens via SSD were new purchased devices that were going to be sent to a telco for modifications and never got sent such that the eMMC inside of these were never used. The O2 jogglers were purchased almost new barely used when the forum started and I just put most of these away or gave them away such that I have only a few left today. I did also purchase the Openframe 2 boxes new unused in black Openpeak boxes with one DECT phone in the box.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Updates:

#1 04th of October, 2019 Updated Joggler to old Squeezebox player OS

#2 06th of October, 2019 Checking on OS, still running. Rebooted box and relogged in. All is fine.
Renamed box to: ICS-Jog-SQP-17 with a DHCP static address of: 192.168.244.217
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

08th of October, 2019

Did a halt and cold reboot and warm reboot of 3 Jogglers running Squeezeplayer in Ubuntu 14.XX. All doing well. No eMMC errors on reboot.

Gonna try this again with another Joggler. This time only installing Squeezeplayer on the Ubuntu 18.04 build.

There is a difference here when installing Ubuntu 18.04. I never see the write going to mmcblk0. It is always mmcblk2 which doesn't make sense to me.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

08th of October, 2019

Started again this morning with an O2 Joggler. Just wanting to make this one a Squeezeplayer.

1 - wrote currently posted files located here and dated October 6, 2019
hxxps://birdslikewires.net/download/openframe/images/ubuntu/latest_316/

2 - remotely logged in as root from another computer: ssh root@ipofjoggler

3 - did an update and upgrade - IE: nothing updated

4 - changed password for root and created a joggler sudo user

5 - went to /user/local/sbin and ran the xorg script: of-install-xorg NOTE: this takes a few minutes.

Setting XTerm geometry...
Enabling Xorg at tty1 login...
Xorg setup complete.
root@openframe:/usr/local/sbin#

6 - Changed timezone and locale to US / Chicago

a - sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Current default time zone: 'US/Central'
Local time is now: Tue Oct 8 06:53:07 CDT 2019.
Universal Time is now: Tue Oct 8 11:53:07 UTC 2019.

b - apt install console-data
Changed it to US keyboard

c - apt install locales
d - locale-gen en_US.UTF-8

locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

e - dpkg-reconfigure console-data (note here removed Gb and switched to US)

f - export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

g - locale

root@openframe:/usr/local/sbin# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

7 - just a quickie check of emmc here.

root@openframe:/dev# ls mmc*
mmcblk0 mmcblk0p1 mmcblk0p2

8 - reboot - still doing this stuff via ssh remote root.

NOTE: not sure if I am doing this the correct way.

9 - install Squeezeplayer

ssh'd as joggler
cd /media
sudo wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... install.sh
sudo chmod +x ./sqpinstall.sh
sudo ./sqpinstall.sh

10 - "danger will robinson"

Error relating to alsa / pulse audio

sudo install update & sudo install pulseaudio

11 - reboot
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Gonna start again from scratch. Went to 1Gb of space after installing the core desktop and trying to install Squeezeplayer. So will do all of the above then just install squeezeplayer. That is really all I want to run anyhow.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Gave up for time bean.

Tinkered above with 3 O2 Jogglers all with same results. Dunno what is wrong. Must be me.

Will install old Squeezeplayer OS on the three O2 Jogglers and see what happens.
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Maybe someone will be interested Joggler can be used as 3rd screen for your PC in windows I added manually 3rd screen as mobile with resolution 848x480 and VNC from Joggler to it I use it to output some stats really comfortable and when I lock the pc vnc session is droped and joggler goes back to kodi screensaver.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

-=xXx=- wrote:Maybe someone will be interested Joggler can be used as 3rd screen for your PC in windows I added manually 3rd screen as mobile with resolution 848x480 and VNC from Joggler to it I use it to output some stats really comfortable and when I lock the pc vnc session is droped and joggler goes back to kodi screensaver.
=xXx= is this 3rd screen using Bionic build ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

yes