Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: Ubuntu Bionic for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:35 pmNoted that the expandoscript did error out with the root drive name being incorrect so used parted to expand the partition over here.
Thanks for this, Pete - I'll test that next time I'm near the OF2. I have my suspicions as to why that happened.
pete wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:35 pmNext Squeezeplayer as this computer was a Squeezeplayer.
Let me know how you get on - I have not tested the Squeezeplay installer or binaries, so it's really going to be a question of how gracefully it fails. ;)

Though if there are more up-to-date means of installing, it may work quite well!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Hi all

Here are my steps to resize the space from disk.
Check with df -h and you will see, that the space is at limit .
I did to expand for OF2 device the fdisk command.
# fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
then choose "p" for check the disk. Remember the start sektors. Now delete the 2. partition with "d" and build the new partition with "n". My start sektor were at 62501. At end use "w" to write.
So now you have to resize the new partition. resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2.

check again with df -h and the space is resized.

regards Shadow1901
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you shadow1901.

Noticed today that my mmc device is labeled mmcblk2p0 and mmcblk2p1.

Updated / Installed newest build today.

This time installing LUbuntu desktop and checking it out.

Everything looks good on the updated build except a full LUbuntu desktop would not fit and ran out of space (apt cache I think).

Went to the LUbuntu core desktop and still under 1 Gb. Redoing the apt cache.

Speaker test works but cannot get audio from desktop (using a you tube video)...next working on this...
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Installing Squeezeplayer next....

/home/joggler# sudo ./sqpinstall.sh
./sqpinstall.sh: 188: [: -ne: argument expected

Installing SqueezePlay...

Fetching SqueezePlay for Joggler v....

--2019-08-31 17:21:04-- https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... gler-v.tgz
Resolving birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)... 2001:41d0:8:e648::1, 5.135.163.72
Connecting to birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)|2001:41d0:8:e648::1|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2019-08-31 17:21:04 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Fetching SqueezePlay - binaries...

--2019-08-31 17:21:04-- https://birdslikewires.net/download/ope ... nned--.tgz
Resolving birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)... 2001:41d0:8:e648::1, 5.135.163.72
Connecting to birdslikewires.net (birdslikewires.net)|2001:41d0:8:e648::1|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2019-08-31 17:21:05 ERROR 404: Not Found.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:40 pm Installing Squeezeplayer next....
Well, that went well. :lol:
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

No biggy there Andy.

The newly created OpenFrame 2 device has been working fine with reboots et al. I am thinking this was a new one that has little RWs on the eMMC.

Really would like to fine a mini small SATA drive with a miniPCiE card to replace the internal combo WLAN / Bluetooth card on it. (not mSATA).

The OpenFrame 2's (OpenPeak 2's) do have a little battery in them so that the updated ROM and clock will come back on a cold reboot.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Tried the download of the Pulse Squeezeplayer tar file.

Worked fine.

Except when I rebooted and journal errors prevented it from going to the desktop.

That and when I SSH'd to the device it because of the drive errors only had read access.
- Pete

Auto mater
stephenw10

Post by stephenw10 »

Hello Joggler fans!

Is this image UEFI only? I'm failing to boot it from Coreboot/Seabios on an otherwise unmodded Joggler.

Dusted it off to maybe use as a dashboard for Grafana in some way. Suggestions welcome!

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

Yes it is only old EFI.

You might be able to install it, switch to seabios and run a boot repair utility to get it working with Seabios. I have not tried. The majority of my devices are running embedded windows with seabios. Well automation / security touchscreens. IE: I run Leviton Omnitouch Pro on these and utilize the HAI touchscreen designer.

Note originally the application was written to run on CE 6.0 and it does fine with updated embedded Windows.

I have one modded Ubuntu Openframe computer here using EFI / SSD / RTC with battery and a small 7 port hub stuck to the back of it and wired to the motherboard.
Using the Avaya boot rom it does boot from the SSD.
- Pete

Auto mater
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

Does anyone know if it's at all realistic that the EMGD driver could be made to work on this build? It's easy to get Kodi 17 on this build, just install it from the Ubuntu repo, (for some reason the add-ons repository is not included, you need to install kodi-repository-kodi package to get that), but it won't play HD H2.64 video in a watchable way due to lack of hardware decoding. And video playback from a DLNA server is something I use my Joggler for (with Buzz's Xubuntu build). I'm not afraid of building stuff from source, but I don't know where to start with EMGD. Also that it's not already included in the build make me think it that even it's possible to get it built and working, it'd be a huge amount of work.
pete

Post by pete »

Maybe give this a try...

hxxps://github.com/EMGD-Community/intel-binaries-linux/issues/51

For the OpenFrame 2 with the speakers in front removed the combo Bluetooth / WiFi card and installed an old Crystall HD card which worked at the time with old Linux.
- Pete

Auto mater
stephenw10

Post by stephenw10 »

pete wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 pm Yes it is only old EFI.
Ah well that explains it! Thanks.

It's so much easier using an image that can be written and booted directly I was hoping to use this but I guess I can boot and install a standard image.

Is there a list of the modifications this image has anywhere? Anything joggler specific that should be applied to a standard install?

Thanks,
Steve
pete

Post by pete »

@Steve

Is there a list of the modifications this image has anywhere? Anything joggler specific that should be applied to a standard install?

Yes it is basically in the thread Andy wrote about it.

The OS base is written to the 1 or 2 Gb eMMC on the Joggler or Openframe 2 device via script. Then there are a few custom scripts to run to expand the partition, add x windows et al.
- Pete

Auto mater
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

So, given all of the above, how long until SQPOS is brought up to speed with the new image? ;)
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi,
when I create Trusty image kernel is never included maybe you know what's the issue ? With Bionic images everything is fine..

Thanks
pete

Post by pete »

how long until SQPOS is brought up to speed with the new image?

Tried the old SQP script that just writes the SQP to the OS and was unsucessful. That said I was going to install SQP via what is posted on the SQP forums.

XXX your image / KODI worked fine for me at the time when you posted it. I did not think that SQP would have fit with KODI on it.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JonTheNiceGuy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:51 pm So, given all of the above, how long until SQPOS is brought up to speed with the new image? ;)
Hell's teeth. I've not looked at some of that code in over five years. Actually, that's not true. I look at it every few months and think "what a mess, I'm not touching that".

But then, it is broken. I can't make it much more broken.

Update: Wow, it's been broken since June of last year.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Do you know why in trusty image kernel is not included during the build?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

-=xXx=- wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:00 pm Do you know why in trusty image kernel is not included during the build?
Trusty image? Where are you seeing that? So far as I'm aware, I'm not building for Trusty any more. :)
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I coun't compile emgd driver under bionic want to try under Trusty, I also have you old script but it stoped working with Trusty also.
I can still use command ./of-imgcreate.sh trust ext2 1 2048 32 0 trusty overlay-trusty kernel with new script but kernel never copies to image.