Recessed wall mounted Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
MrDepths

Recessed wall mounted Joggler

Post by MrDepths »

Super new joggler fellow with high hopes for this little guy and wonder if any of you guys have considered wall mounting this.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cin ... erver.html

The above chap his put his in a wall which is plastered, lucky for me I have bricks in my currently renovated wall.

If anyone can help or advise but my plan is to take a section of brick out of the wall and recess the joggler like it was a backbox. How to keep the joggler attached to the wall is a question i has also, without doing a little bit of joinery and housing the joggler in a wooden frame and then recessing the whole frame so it is flush is an option.

If I maintain the stand, which i have read is the heatsink - would this he sufficient since the area behind the wall is tight and not much free flowing air.

The on and off power will be via remote RF sockets which will also out of sight.
roobarb!

Re: Recessed wall mounted Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

MrDepths wrote:If anyone can help or advise but my plan is to take a section of brick out of the wall and recess the joggler like it was a backbox. How to keep the joggler attached to the wall is a question i has also, without doing a little bit of joinery and housing the joggler in a wooden frame and then recessing the whole frame so it is flush is an option.
It would be much trickier to get a good finish if the Joggler is mounted flush with the wall, but if your plasterboard and caulk skills are good, it would look very neat. I mounted a Joggler to one of the kitchen cupboard doors (which for a year I've been saying I'd photograph) but avoided having to be super-accurate by removing the screen and cutting the hole just big enough to get the plastic aligning pins through.

You can't then attach the two halves of the case back together though, so I attached heatsinks to the CPU and GPU with thermal glue and mounted the logic board separately.
MrDepths wrote:If I maintain the stand, which i have read is the heatsink - would this he sufficient since the area behind the wall is tight and not much free flowing air.
I'm not convinced that much heat ever gets conducted as far as the stand. Personally, I would go ahead with it and then keep an eye on the temperatures after installation.

That thread has just lead me to discover Logitech's own Squeezebox remote, which works really well with SqueezePlay!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
MrDepths

Post by MrDepths »

roobarb! wrote:I mounted a Joggler to one of the kitchen cupboard doors (which for a year I've been saying I'd photograph) but avoided having to be super-accurate by removing the screen and cutting the hole just big enough to get the plastic aligning pins through.

You can't then attach the two halves of the case back together though, so I attached heatsinks to the CPU and GPU with thermal glue and mounted the logic board separately.
Would love to see that in action, ideas/inspiration like this is food for thought for me! :D
roobarb! wrote:That thread has just lead me to discover Logitech's own Squeezebox remote, which works really well with SqueezePlay!
Not a bad app, huh?

The wall mounted Joggler is destined to be the music player for the bathroom, bit extreme I know but I cant shower without music. It will be siutated out side the bathroom on the landing before you enter the bathroom. Luckly my friend is the genius with plasterboard and skimming skills, so i'll leave that to him. ;)

Since o2 labelled this to "replace your fridge door", its not wall mountable friendly!
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I'm surprised that Pete hasn't replied! ;P
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
manxam

Post by manxam »

All you need to do is make a small picture frame and mount it on the wall around the joggler to make it look a little more integrated and less rough. I've been considering this myself but don't have access for power in many of the spots I'd like to mount one..

As for Pete, I have to say I'm a little surprised too! Maybe he's busy making his own in wall mount as we speak and he's been too busy to post!

:P
pete

Post by pete »

I'm planning on mounting "some" Jogglers on "some" walls in the house.

The "quick and dirty" and "cheap" wall mount on drywall (which is common here; I mean drywall) would be to cut a hole in the drywall just a bit smaller than the largest front section of the Joggler. Using drywall tape put a nice edge to the hole. To make it stay in the opening you just cut; wrap a bungee cord around the stand and fix it to the two 2X4's inside of the wall such that the bungee cord pulls the Joggler snug to the opening. Dress it with a picture frame if you think your drywall work looks bad. If you have an issue and need to remove the Joggler; just pull it away from the wall; put your hand behind it and unhook the bungee cord.

Today I have one 12" TS metal frame mounted flush to a wall and covered the metal frame with a custom cut wood frame. Looks nice and its been like that for years now. It is a bit low on the WAF as to why I decided on what wall to mount it. I just change the subject when it comes up. Other TS's are Lilliput car style in a clam shell (like the type you put on the back of an automotive seat rest). Just have very small plastic trim around those.

I asked a person that works with designing plastic "stuff" a couple of weeks ago to have a look at the Joggler and see what he could come up with relating to a "professional" looking mounting mechanism that looks aesthetically pleasing.

Been busy building a new NAS box (and documenting it) on the Homeseer forum and redoing the cabling feeds to my home office LCD which sits on the wall close to the ceiling. (adding network, HDMI, local in house video feeds, etc). Also looking to keep one Joggler running with the native OS (maybe PNP2) running FlashXAP for HA (already doing a bunch of xAP here).

Relating to brick "stuff"....my home is half brick and originally there were two electrical outlets outside. I've added about 6 more cutting into the brick, running new conduit to the basement and to the fuse panel. It was time consuming to cut the brick and make the outlets flush mounted. (my personal preference). I just scored the bricks in half and used a small chisel to break the brick a little bit at a time. If I messed up on the cuts I just filled them with a combo of insulation and cement. Personally I wouldn't cut into the brick though to mount a Joggler; I would just fit it on the brick and make a bracket to hold it in place.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
MrDepths

Post by MrDepths »

Thanks for you responses, i'll have a good think about this.

Do you think its safe to remove the stand? I might opt for the picture frame option but it needs to lose some depth before that could work.
pete

Post by pete »

I have one Joggler on my home office desk taken apart and held together with masking tape. I have removed the back side to the board and the CPU does get warm. You could affix a passive heat sink on it as documented on the Wiki here and that would help. It would most likely keep the CPU chip cooler than the passive material / metal stand utilized.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:I have one Joggler on my home office desk taken apart and held together with masking tape. I have removed the back side to the board and the CPU does get warm. You could affix a passive heat sink on it as documented on the Wiki here and that would help. It would most likely keep the CPU chip cooler than the passive material / metal stand utilized.
Just remember that the CPU is the tiny package on the board. The GPU is the larger one; you'll need a heatsink on both.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
MrDepths

Post by MrDepths »

I sense a big job brewing.....