PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
borgs

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by borgs »

Wow - My Joggler can now serve as well as play my Squeezebox collection! Many thanks to all the people behind PnP mk II and Squeeze play/server integration on the Joggler.

I have one issue however which I cannot figure out how to resolve: Each time I turn the Joggler on at the mains the Logitech Media Server insists on rescanning all of my music again after first deciding that files have been deleted when they haven't. I've turned the setting off as far as I can tell but it still wants to re-scan.

Cheers,

Steve

Edit: Found a previous post from spoyser which cures the problem for me:

"To prevent the rescan delete or comment out the

echo rescan | /media/gforums/busybox nc -w1 localhost 9090

line in the /etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server file"
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

Is there an idiot guide to getting the Logitech server on PnP MkII to see an external hdd and the media files on it. I can't work it out. Any help appreciated.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

FyodorNinian wrote:Is there an idiot guide to getting the Logitech server on PnP MkII to see an external hdd and the media files on it. I can't work it out. Any help appreciated.
Sorry, I'm of no help here as I'm not familiar with this set up. I don't suppose it's as simple as plugging it in an setting the media folder to /mnt in the Basic Settings page of the Server settings is it?
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
borgs

Post by borgs »

FyodorNinian wrote:Is there an idiot guide to getting the Logitech server on PnP MkII to see an external hdd and the media files on it. I can't work it out. Any help appreciated.
First identify your Joggler's IP address and then point a browser to:

http://<ip_address>:9000/

This should bring up the Logitech Media Server control panel.

Click the 'Settings' button and then fill in the 'Media Folders' settings in the 'Basic Settings' tab. On mine I have a folder called music on my mounted drive so I specify:

/mnt/music

Set the playlist folder to where you want the playlists to go. As the mounted drive is set readonly I created a folder in the Joggler itself at:

/media/playlists

I don't know if it will create that folder or if you have to telnet in to create it yourself.

Press the 'Apply' button to save and then select 'Clear library and rescan everything' and click on the' Rescan' button.

Then you may be in for a long wait while it indexes your collection - 4 hours in my case!

Cheers,

Steve
blc

Post by blc »

Hello all

First post here!

I'm looking to pick up a Joggler as soon as (will find out by tomorrow evening whether I have won an eBay auction), but I've got a quick question regarding PnPII and/or the default OS.

I can see from the last few posts that Logitech Media Server allows you to specify a directory location to look for media, but is CIFS/SMB supported? If it's a Linux-based OS (Ubuntu 8.04? Or did I read that wrong...?) then it shouldn't be too hard to have a network SMB share automounted and specify that as the location to look for music. That is, assuming that CIFS/SMB is supported! :).

I'm toying with whether or not to use the default OS (with PnPII, obviously ;)) or install Joli OS on a USB stick. I'll probably try both out anyway, but the default OS is preferable as I plan to use a USB sound card.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.
gegs

Post by gegs »

You can use a USB soundcard and one of the USB stick distros too if you use a hub.

I have a hub with Xubuntu on a portable drive, USB soundcard, USB powered speakers (audio jack connected to USB soundcard) and a bluetooth receiver for a wireless mouse. The good news is that you can use the stock OS and a USB distro depending on what you want to do; my wife prefers the stock OS, I mostly use Xubuntu on a portable drive and the kids like JoliOS. I've not tried Windows yet but I will when I have some spare time.

Much as I love using Xubuntu, I have to admit that the fantastic, finger-friendly, functional design of the iPlayer and Youtube apps on the stock OS are pretty impressive. Watching "Eggheads" on the kitchen Joggler while preparing family dinner has become a bit of a ritual.
blc

Post by blc »

Indeed, but I'd rather keep cable clutter to a minimum, so I don't plan to use a hub. Of course it's easy to do, but if I can achieve what I want with the stock OS then all the better. That's why I made sure I got speakers with their own USB DAC.
borgs

Post by borgs »

This is a little weird. Occasionally, over the last couple of days, I've glanced at the Joggler to see that it is showing the wrong date and time - September 2009. I thought it was to do with turning it off completely over night but I've just turned it on this morning and it is showing the correct time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'll keep an eye on it and try to figure out what causes it to happen.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

It's usually due to a flaky wifi connection
gegs

Post by gegs »

borgs wrote:Has anyone else experienced this?
It happens when the wi-fi signal is lost at Joggler boot up; I think the default date is 21 September 2009. When it happens I reboot my router and then reboot the Joggler.
iamtom

Post by iamtom »

I've just installed the latest PnP II on my Joggler, after restoring it to the most recent factory firmware using the Birds Like Wires tool. The OS itself works fine, but now the device resets itself every 15 or so minutes. Any ideas or suggestions?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

iamtom wrote:I've just installed the latest PnP II on my Joggler, after restoring it to the most recent factory firmware using the Birds Like Wires tool. The OS itself works fine, but now the device resets itself every 15 or so minutes. Any ideas or suggestions?
All I can suggest is that you try roobarb's little tool from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/updatectrl-joggler
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just a quick tip - if you want to change the behaviour of the Twitter icon so that it opens the full site (which almost fits on the Joggler screen) instead of the mobile version, just change the last line in the /media/gforums/apps/operamobile/starttwitter file from

Code: Select all

/media/gforums/apps/operamobile/operamobile -url mobile.twitter.com -fullscreen -mem 256M
to

/media/gforums/apps/operamobile/operamobile -url http://twitter.com -fullscreen -mem 256M
The full site is my version of preference at the moment!
iamtom

Post by iamtom »

offbeatdave wrote:
iamtom wrote:I've just installed the latest PnP II on my Joggler, after restoring it to the most recent factory firmware using the Birds Like Wires tool. The OS itself works fine, but now the device resets itself every 15 or so minutes. Any ideas or suggestions?
All I can suggest is that you try roobarb's little tool from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/updatectrl-joggler
Superb- that solves things completely. Fantastic work on the integrated Squeezebox server; with it, the Joggler is a complete delight.
ultrak3wl

Post by ultrak3wl »

After the power supply failed on my Roku Soundbridge M001 I was a bit stuck until I remembered the Joggler I had played with for ages but not found a use... Thanks for advice on trying alternate USB sticks until finding one that would install PNP MkII and yes I now have it running fine. I had to install TuneIn radio to get the particular station I want but now that works a treat. I moved my music collection onto an installation of Squeezebox Server as well and honestly now the whole setup is a complete dream. Thank you so much! And I just hope that whatever O2 are planning for the 30th doesn't mess it all up again for me.

I do have a question... my Roku had a very basic text-only display and I never realised the importance of cover art until now. Can anyone suggest a good auto cover-art tool to fix all my missing jpegs? Anything except Media Monkey please which I have tried and failed to get working!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Try Mediamonkey with the Musicbrainz tagger add-in!
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

borgs wrote:
First identify your Joggler's IP address and then point a browser to:

http://<ip_address>:9000/

This should bring up the Logitech Media Server control panel.

Click the 'Settings' button and then fill in the 'Media Folders' settings in the 'Basic Settings' tab. On mine I have a folder called music on my mounted drive so I specify:

/mnt/music

Set the playlist folder to where you want the playlists to go. As the mounted drive is set readonly I created a folder in the Joggler itself at:

/media/playlists

I don't know if it will create that folder or if you have to telnet in to create it yourself.

Press the 'Apply' button to save and then select 'Clear library and rescan everything' and click on the' Rescan' button.

Then you may be in for a long wait while it indexes your collection - 4 hours in my case!

Cheers,

Steve
Many thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

I've set up the server on a Windows machine many times without a problem so know my way around it. The problem I have with the Logitech Server on PnPII is that it doesn't see my external drive. I had a similar problem with Ubuntu ages ago, it turned out to be a permissions issue (I think!) and I used terminal to solve it (with a lot of googling and trial and error!), but I don't know where to begin with PnPII! Hence the request for an idiot's guide. Basically, the question I'd really appreciate help with is - how do I get the server to see my external drive and its music files?
Last edited by FyodorNinian on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Not really sure what to advise. Have you tried mounting the hard drive as read/writeable in the OS? I think (not near a Joggler at the moment) that there is a little script in SWF Manager app to do this. The command it runs is something like

mount -o remount,rw /mnt
Probably no use at all (and don't even know it this command does what it should do) but that's the best I can offer I'm afraid. :?:
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

offbeatdave wrote:Not really sure what to advise. Have you tried mounting the hard drive as read/writeable in the OS? I think (not near a Joggler at the moment) that there is a little script in SWF Manager app to do this. The command it runs is something like

mount -o remount,rw /mnt
Probably no use at all (and don't even know it this command does what it should do) but that's the best I can offer I'm afraid. :?:
Thanks for the reply. I haven't try to mount the drive - not sure I'd know how to - I just plugged it in to the joggler and expected it to be 'mounted' automatically I guess. I'll try and find / have a play with SWF manager when I get home from work. Any further tips appreciated :-)
blc

Post by blc »

blc wrote:I can see from the last few posts that Logitech Media Server allows you to specify a directory location to look for media, but is CIFS/SMB supported?
Just in case anyone else is interested, I've solved this.

Grab the kernel module from this post http://webdiary.com/2010/11/05/squeezeb ... -a-budget/. Upload this to the joggler using SCP, and test it by running (via an SSH connection): /sbin/insmod /some_directory_path/cifs.ko. Run lsmod and you should see the cifs module running. If you want, you can test it by running: mount -t cifs //server_name_or_IP/ShareName /folder_to_mount -o user=username,password=secret. Edit the following file in vi: /etc/init.d/boot.d/S99boot.hacks. Under the starthacks() function, there should be a line that reads something along the lines of "# add your hacks here :)". After that point, add the two commands you just typed in manually:

/sbin/insmod /some_directory_path/cifs.ko
mount -t cifs //server_name_or_IP/ShareName /folder_to_mount -o user=username,password=secret

Whenever the joggler is rebooted it should now automount the network share at boot time. Just tested this and it works perfectly. Though I'm not sure what would happen if the share was offline and you tried to boot the joggler...

EDIT: Sorry, just realised that I'd linked to the bad wiki!! Oops! :)