PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by offbeatdave »

Assuming you left if for a good 15 minutes or so when trying to install, reflash with the birdslikewires tool and go again!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
a8ree

Post by a8ree »

Thanks OffbeatDave!

All up and running! nice...

How did you guys get access to spotify without the Premium sub?
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:Woo, free Spotify! ;)
Has Spotify changed their T&C's ? It used to be that you could only use Spotify on mobile devices (which the Joggler, ironically, is considered to be) with a Premium subscription. Triode's plugin used to require a premium log-in (probably still does).

If you are getting ad-free unlimited Spotify on your Joggler, you might be leeching off somebody else's paid-for account. This wouldn't be fair because if you listen using their account, they won't be able to (and vice-versa).

Oh yeah! - and you haven't paid for it.
gegs

Post by gegs »

a8ree wrote:Thanks OffbeatDave!

All up and running! nice...

How did you guys get access to spotify without the Premium sub?
I didn't get access to Spotify without a Premium sub. I purchased a Premium sub.
Richard Boyce

Post by Richard Boyce »

I've had a Joggler for about 48 hours, and just found PnP II. Looks very good indeed. Many thanks. I had a spare USB sound adapter, and that's feeding sound from Squeezeplay to my bedroom sound system. It's using the Logitech server I run on my main computer system.

However, I have a problem that must be dealt with. Some part of the system is constantly using my Wifi and the Internet even without launching any app. This has to stop. Any idea which part of the system is the culprit, what it's doing and how to stop it?

[Edit]

Further info. I tried deleting some apps but the system only goes through the motions of deletion, and doesn't actually delete. I found that by using the Tango refresh icon, the problem would go away for about 5 minutes.

I decided to start from scratch again. No sign of the problem after the reflash. Then I reinstalled PnP with some apps and icons left out, notably the RSS feed and Squeezeserver. The problem returned. Is the problem embedded in Tango itself?

I'm going to reflash again and reinstall without most of the apps to try to narrow down the source of the problem.

[Edit 2]

I think I have finally tracked down the source of the problem, though I don't understand enough yet to figure out a solution beyond using comments in the .shx file. The problem is caused by the attempt to prevent Openpeak updates.
Last edited by Richard Boyce on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetpac

Post by Jetpac »

I have picked up a joggler 2nd hand from someone and want to install this.... i dont know if it has had anything done to the OS as it is... how do i find out if it is a "Clean" install or not?
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

I'd wouldnt worry... just reflash it..and then load this

Believe me its worth the effort...this build is the bees knees!

All I have to do now is edit the radio stations for those down South (Hampshire) and its perfect!
Steve
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Any one help me
1) where I can edit the radio stations for Pure Lounge

2) and where I can find the appropriate feeds?

Not asking much am I??
I've got a queue of "Please can you pimp my Joggler" people in the office...and 3 have asked for Heart Hampshire not london!
joh

Post by joh »

I installed this on my replacement joggler, PnP looks really nice, good work!

Is it possible to overwrite the squeezebox server files with the ones from 7.7 to upgrade to the latest version or is the server customized?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Richard Boyce wrote: [Edit 2]

I think I have finally tracked down the source of the problem, though I don't understand enough yet to figure out a solution beyond using comments in the .shx file. The problem is caused by the attempt to prevent Openpeak updates.
Ah, if that's it just delete that section before installing.

EDIT: And if this is the problem on PnP'ed Jogglers then restore /openpeak/tango/fp_class_modules/libOPUtil_backup.so to /openpeak/tango/fp_class_modules/libOPUtil.so

You may be onto something here...
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:Any one help me
1) where I can edit the radio stations for Pure Lounge

2) and where I can find the appropriate feeds?

Not asking much am I??
I've got a queue of "Please can you pimp my Joggler" people in the office...and 3 have asked for Heart Hampshire not london!
If you want to do it before PnP'ing your Joggler then edit the jogContent.xls file in the radiostations directory on your PnP stick. The format of the file is fairly straightforward (based on the 'if can do it then so can anyone' theory!).

If you want to do it post-Pnp then edit the jogContent.xls file in /openpeak/tango/apps/o2_radio (or something like that).

I think you can check out http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/query.asp?f ... 0Sussex%29 for your feeds.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

joh wrote:I installed this on my replacement joggler, PnP looks really nice, good work!

Is it possible to overwrite the squeezebox server files with the ones from 7.7 to upgrade to the latest version or is the server customized?
I have wondered about this but I've not tried it. I have no idea as to the origins/work that was put into the original squeezebox server stuff for the Joggler other than I am grateful to those that did!
joh

Post by joh »

Hi offbeatdave,

just one note about the SSH/SCP access from Mk II: The SFTP system is broken, you can't connect with WinSCP or Cyberduck for example. I noticed that the sftp binary has problems with GLIBC. To fix it I got this file http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =88&p=4418, extracted it, extracted opupdt.tgz copied all files from the usr directory into the /usr directory of the joggler. After that WinSCP will work.

Squeezebox Server: The update is really simple. Prerequisite: old server already installed. Stop the old server with kill. Then delete the directory /media/gforums/apps/logitechmediaserver-7.6*. Run a df -h to very that the media partition has enough space. The extracted version of the 7.7 release takes 306.5 MB (I think there are some files inside which can be deleted)

Now place the logitechmediaserver-7.7.tgz (use the correct name) into /tmp. Then extract it with tar zxf logitechmediaserver-7.7.tgz -C /media/gforums/apps/

Correct the Permissions: chown -R squeezeboxserver:squeezeboxserver /media/gforums/apps/logitechmediaserver-7.7.1-33735.
cd /media/gforums/apps/logitechmediaserver-7.7.1-33735
Run the server with executing ./slimserver.pl -debug
After it starts successful stop it with CTRL+C.

Now edit the file /etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server. Correct the path on the 6th line to
# start squeezebox server
/media/gforums/apps/logitechmediaserver-7.7.1-33735/slimserver.pl --daemon

The new server should now start on boot. You can try it when you reboot the joggler.

Regarding latest Squeeuezplay: I have not worked on it yet.
offbeatdave wrote:
I have wondered about this but I've not tried it. I have no idea as to the origins/work that was put into the original squeezebox server stuff for the Joggler other than I am grateful to those that did!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Thanks joh, will try this now!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Now testing v2.11 which will hopefully address the issues above raised by joh and Richard and features Logitech Media Server 7.7.1 by default. Fingers crossed...
dazla

Post by dazla »

Can you confirm that once the traffic app is back whether it starts receiving data from TrafficMaster again?

Thanks,

Daz
joh

Post by joh »

@offbetdave: That sounds good. On Logitech media server there are a lot of files which can be deleted, in the Bin directory and under CPAN/arch. There are some binarys for arm, powerpc ... which can be deleted. Then it takes about 100 MB.

Do you know if working CIFS/Samaba modules exist? I found modules mentioned in http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Modules ... FS_/_Samba but there are no files.

As far as I understand there is no direct kernel source and no "development" system for the original system available?
ultrak3wl

Post by ultrak3wl »

Hope I am not being thick... I can't get this to work.

I have a Joggler that I bought ages ago, experimented with it and at one point had Ubuntu running from a USB drive. Then it gathered dust for a bit until now when I saw PNPII and thought I would give it a try.

Downloaded zip file, formatted an 8GB Kingston USB memory, and "extracted all" to it using the built-in Windows 7 unzipper. Plugged it into Joggler and rebooted.

The light on the USB drive does flash a bit but otherwise nothing is different and the Joggler just boots as normal. Am I missing something? It's so long since I tried running Ubuntu I've forgotten what I had to do to get external boot working.
JogglerDave

Post by JogglerDave »

Try a different USB stick Ultrak3wl - The ones I used for android, joil etc all worked fine but not with PnP mkII,
I'm using a verbatim 2gb now and seems to be going well :)

#edit# 20 mins later and after a quick game of Angry Birds all is well!

Thanks very much to Dave for all his work!
joh

Post by joh »

@ultrak3wl: Try different USB stick or try to format the stick with the HP USB storage tool (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Har ... Tool.shtml)

@offbeatdave: I made some progress regarding SAMBA/CIFS share. First I tried to copy the kernel modules from the LPIA kernel which Ubuntu released some time ago. It always complained about invalid module structure, forcing to load the module and mounting a SMB share gave a segmentation fault. I don't know what is so special on the supplied kernel. Maybe the kernel must be recompiled with the supplied config file from the boot directory, I don't know.

But I found this site: http://webdiary.com/2010/11/05/squeezeb ... -a-budget/ here is a cifs.ko kernel module which works. Maybe you could include it in the PnP build?

Still have to upgrade squeezeplay on it. Yesterday I also installed avahi and dbus (taken from Ubuntu 8.0.4 and modified the startup scripts, added the required users). I did this because I want to have Zeroconf (Bonjour) capabilities (I have a lot of Apple computers and want to see the services from joggler). If someone is interested I can provide the files / instructions.

I plan to use the stock OS on one of my units, the other runs Xubuntu from BuZz. I hope that the WiFI connection works on the stock OS, I had problems under Ubuntu.