PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by offbeatdave »

jollyjoggler wrote:hello offbeatdave,

does the automatic installer of your public release PnP Mk II Public v2.12p change the flash (mmc) layout of the internal flash memory?
Nah, it doesn't alter the partition layout of the internal flash in any way whatsoever.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jollyjoggler

Post by jollyjoggler »

offbeatdave wrote:
jollyjoggler wrote:hello offbeatdave,

does the automatic installer of your public release PnP Mk II Public v2.12p change the flash (mmc) layout of the internal flash memory?
Nah, it doesn't alter the partition layout of the internal flash in any way whatsoever.
thanks for the clarification. despite that i have massive problems with your release. installation of pnp mk2 absolutely works fine.

in my case, the squeezeplay app is the culprit imo. after some time squeezeplay crashes and doesn´t start anymore. i refresh tango, but the problem with squeezeplay persists.

after a reboot from within the shell the joggler reboots, but squeezeplay still leaving me with a black screen as soon as it is launched after a reboot.

then after the next reboot, the bootloader won´t load the boot partition anymore.

any ideas what´s happening here?
January_King

Post by January_King »

I am only posting this in case it saves time for anyone else trying this install using Mac OSX.
No amount of re-formatting (FAT), changing USB drives etc etc produced a bootable USB stick to load onto a clean installation on my Joggler. In the end I simply re-formatted a USB stick under Windows and re-loaded PnP2 and it worked first time.
It may be that OSX writes an invisible file to the USB that screws up this installation - normally there is no problem.
If in doubt (although it goes against the grain!) USE WINDOWS.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

January_King wrote:I am only posting this in case it saves time for anyone else trying this install using Mac OSX.
No amount of re-formatting (FAT), changing USB drives etc etc produced a bootable USB stick to load onto a clean installation on my Joggler. In the end I simply re-formatted a USB stick under Windows and re-loaded PnP2 and it worked first time.
It may be that OSX writes an invisible file to the USB that screws up this installation - normally there is no problem.
If in doubt (although it goes against the grain!) USE WINDOWS.
Potentially useful advice there.

I must say that I've always used Windows XP on my laptop for preparing USB sticks (occasionally using Bootice to remove partitions) and I have NEVER (touch wood) had an issue. I've used HP, Imation, Kingston and a variety of cheapo-nastio sticks with no issues at all with sizes ranging from 256Mb to 8Gb.

+1 for Windows for a change!
roobarb!

PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:
January_King wrote:If in doubt (although it goes against the grain!) USE WINDOWS.
Potentially useful advice there.

I must say that I've always used Windows XP on my laptop for preparing USB sticks (occasionally using Bootice to remove partitions) and I have NEVER (touch wood) had an issue. I've used HP, Imation, Kingston and a variety of cheapo-nastio sticks with no issues at all with sizes ranging from 256Mb to 8Gb.

+1 for Windows for a change!
As an alternate view, everything I have ever made for the Joggler has been on Ubuntu or Mac OS X. Never had a problem (that wasn't my own fault!). :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
January_King

Post by January_King »

I agree with the above comments although I believe that I had eliminated all my options. There was probably some sod's law combination of circumstances.
Anyway problem solved, external USB card now configured and all working well, thank you.
ordessa

Suggestion for PnP III

Post by ordessa »

would it be possible in your extensive set of scripts to allow for Squeezecentre (ie the server bit) to be optional?

I use 2 jogglers connected to my NAS which has squeeze on it... so the server part is perhaps overkill
blc

Re: Suggestion for PnP III

Post by blc »

ordessa wrote:would it be possible in your extensive set of scripts to allow for Squeezecentre (ie the server bit) to be optional?

I use 2 jogglers connected to my NAS which has squeeze on it... so the server part is perhaps overkill
There's a script in /etc/init.d/boot.d which controls the startup of Logitech Media Server. I can't remember exactly which one, but can find out this evening if needs be. You can just move this script out of that directory to stop it from loading at boot (or delete it altogether, if you don't care about not having a backup). I did exactly the same, as I found that LMS running on the joggler took far too long to scan my music directories and had some pretty dire performance problems. Instead I switched to using LMS on my main PC... It didn't actually seem to impact performance if I left LMS running (but unused), though it is tidier to disable it if you don't want/need it.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =160#p8314
blc wrote:I found that when I was playing a complete album - i.e. all tracks in one directory - it was just fine. But if I told it to play a random selection of *any* tracks, it hung when skipping tracks and the only way I could recover was to yank the power. I have since set up Logitech Media Server on my PC - rather than use PnP's built in server - and the response on the Joggler is far faster... To illustrate: it took the joggler about an hour and a half to scan my ~100gb music collection, but it took my PC about 3 minutes. Plus I don't have to mess around with mounting any CIFS fileshares or invoking additional kernel modules. I also removed the LMS startup script from the /etc/init.d/boot.d directory on the Joggler to try and speed things up a little, but it didn't really make much difference...
Spikeyjohn

Post by Spikeyjohn »

Hi everyone, new bloke here.

Had a Joggler for a while and thought about doing something useful with it but always been a bit scared I might screw it up. But now that O2 are dropping it and seeing PnP Mk II has arrived I'm going to take the plunge.

Quick question first though - what happens when O2 make their final update at the end of April, will this affect my newly PnP'd device and will I have to re-install again ?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great work done by everyone.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Spikeyjohn wrote:Quick question first though - what happens when O2 make their final update at the end of April, will this affect my newly PnP'd device and will I have to re-install again ?
Yes, it will - everything will be reset to defaults, whatever those defaults may be.

None of us know exactly what the update will contain, so there will doubtless be some scrabbling around to get things working again once it's been released. When the update comes out, please don't dive in and start installing things unless you're happy to troubleshoot, because they may not work! :?

The changes needed to get things running again may be straightforward; it's even possible that so little will change that nothing needs to be tweaked. We'll see in 18 days!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Blotch

Post by Blotch »

Like many others I'm sure, the recent txts on my Jogglers (ref Apr update) led me to this site - pleased I found it :D

I've installed this PnP on my 3 Jogglers for now and WOW it has breathed new life into them - many thanks to OP.
Only one question ref SqueezePlay, last night I had 'Internet Radio' listed in the SqueezePlay menu, but this morning its disapeared - any thoughts what I've done wrong?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Blotch wrote:Like many others I'm sure, the recent txts on my Jogglers (ref Apr update) led me to this site - pleased I found it :D

I've installed this PnP on my 3 Jogglers for now and WOW it has breathed new life into them - many thanks to OP.
Only one question ref SqueezePlay, last night I had 'Internet Radio' listed in the SqueezePlay menu, but this morning its disapeared - any thoughts what I've done wrong?
Have a look in Options->Home Menu->Restore Hidden Menu Options (or something along those lines) and see if it is there.
Blotch

Post by Blotch »

Thanks Dave, I've managed to get the internet radio back by connecting to another Joggler within SqueezePlay then back to home menu. This PNP is brilliant, thanks for all your efforts putting this together. Hopefully PNP can be updated once we get the openpeak software, as I find SquuezePlay fantastic now I have Joggler connected to my AV amp :-) Also, I don't get any dropouts that I used to get with TuneIn radio, maybe the buffer is bigger!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Hello 'offbeatdave'

Firstly, thank you for breathing new life into my Joggler. I LOVE IT! Do you have a PayPal account where I can send you a drink?

Just the two quick questions
  • Is there a way I can get the BBC2 1980s Clock screensaver into the unit? I used to have it on 'Pimp My Joggler' if that helps. Not sure if it was originally nicked from a Chumby device. Either way, it was great and I miss that.
  • Is the Trafficmaster O2 App going to make a comeback at some point?
Thanks again and look forward to Mk III!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

mb1 wrote:
Just the two quick questions
  • Is there a way I can get the BBC2 1980s Clock screensaver into the unit? I used to have it on 'Pimp My Joggler' if that helps. Not sure if it was originally nicked from a Chumby device. Either way, it was great and I miss that.
  • Is the Trafficmaster O2 App going to make a comeback at some point?
I believe Trafficmaster is no more.

Have just got round to locating and downloading the screensaver *.swf files that were installed with the classic PMJ, including the two BBC clocks. Will get round to making sure they run and add them to PnP III if possible post-o2 update.

Edit: Hmm, it doesn't display these screensavers full screen. May have to run PMJ and see what their behaviour was back in the day and go from there!
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

seems Traffic app is very dead!...

either that or the M3 has had a 5mph restriction for 2 months..
frosty

Post by frosty »

Have just got round to locating and downloading the screensaver *.swf files that were installed with the classic PMJ, including the two BBC clocks. Will get round to making sure they run and add them to PnP III if possible post-o2 update.
offbeatdave, this screensaver looks pretty good, any chance it can be added also to your next round?
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=518
mb1

Post by mb1 »

offbeatdave wrote:Edit: Hmm, it doesn't display these screensavers full screen. May have to run PMJ and see what their behaviour was back in the day and go from there!
It never took up the entire display. A little bit on the right used to be visible, how noticeable it was really used to depend on whatever I was last viewing before it kicked in. Didn't bother me too much to be honest.

Look forward to seeing it in Mk III! Thanks for taking the trouble to research it.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

mb1 wrote:
It never took up the entire display. A little bit on the right used to be visible, how noticeable it was really used to depend on whatever I was last viewing before it kicked in. Didn't bother me too much to be honest.
Just had a go with it on PMJ and yeah, it doesn't quite fill the display. Will pop it on for you though!
mikmakmok

Post by mikmakmok »

Afternoon all, a bit of help if anyone can, please.

I've had my Joggler p'n'p'd from the original for a year or so without too many issues. For some reason last week it crashed and returned to it's factory default. So I've found this post, done a reflash back to O2 original (where it asks for name and email) with wifi, enabled network and used PnP Mk II seemingly successfully.

Except the alarm doesn't ever go off. I can set alarm 1 or 2, the icon appears at top of screen, but nothing happens. A couple of days of messing around and I've found the following:

If I wait for the alarm, it doesn't ring, ever. However, If I go to the alarm app during the minute it's set for, it will ring. Which kind of implies the alarm isn't running unless it's the open application?
If I use the icon for Alarm on page 3, set an alarm, and then go via tools/alarm, the time's not there and it's not set. And conversely, if I set via tools/alarm, it's not reflected via the standalone icon.

I've tried the inbuilt sounds, an an mp3 transferred from USB. The same happens with both.
I've reflashed and reinstalled, then again with an SD card via reader, and it's always the same.
If I test the stock OS after reflash, the alarm works fine.

So - I'm stuck. Does no-one else use the alarm? I can't believe that it's not been noticed, and that it's probably my problem.

I don't really need PnP, I just need to be able to turn off the screen and set an alarm. But I'd much rather have it all.

Any help gratefully received,

Mark