PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by gegs »

Superb!
I haven't played anything from a share yet, but Logitech Media Server is now scanning the Music share on my iomega NAS.

Thanks very much for posting this info.

---EDIT---
Couldn't wait for the full scan (it will take hours) so I tried to play a few tracks already imported into my library.
Wow! it really does work incredibly well. Everybody that has a NAS and uses LMS on their Joggler should do this immediately*.

---RE-EDIT---
*Alas, too optimistic, too soon. I came back to check on progress and scanning had stalled. Not only that but it appears that LMS has crashed. There used to be a setting in Squeezeplay from the old P'n'P (before gforums upgraded to the birdslikewires version) that allowed me to re-start the server. Other than re-booting the Joggler, I don't know how to do that now; any help appreciated.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Although the media scan keeps crashing on me, I can still browse and play music by folder on my NAS, still a vast improvement and well worth doing. I can also set up playlists from music on the NAS using the server's web interface (I haven't tried setting up playlists from Squeezeplay itself yet).
blc

Post by blc »

Hmmm... It appears that one of my posts in this thread has disappeared...

It could be an issue with the media server, depending on the size of the directory it's trying to scan. My joggler pretty much died while it was scanning; even flicking through the menus on the main screen took minutes while the scan was running. I couldn't do anything with the joggler itself, but the web interface for the media server (settings page, then information) was updating - albeit very slowly...

Now to find out why the iPlayer video is so choppy...
gegs

Post by gegs »

It appears the cause of the server crash was directories containing too many files. I created sub-directories in my music folders to minimise the number of files in each one ad did a re-scan; my scan is still running but it is way past where it always crashed before. I'll keep you posted.

---EDIT---
I ought to stop posting my (sort-of) successes; I only jinx myself. Shortly after posting the above the server crashed again, so obviously the directories thing is only one potential problem. Nothing in the server log gives me a clue. I think I'll eventually buy a Zyxel NAS that can run LMS (my crappy iomega one won't). I'm sure that would be a more stable solution.
rahulg247

Post by rahulg247 »

Installed this and now my Joggler reboots every ten minutes or so.

Does anyone know how to reset my joggler or fix this??
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

offbeatdave wrote:
iamtom wrote:I've just installed the latest PnP II on my Joggler, after restoring it to the most recent factory firmware using the Birds Like Wires tool. The OS itself works fine, but now the device resets itself every 15 or so minutes. Any ideas or suggestions?
All I can suggest is that you try roobarb's little tool from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/updatectrl-joggler
This seems to have worked for others. Worth a go.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
rahulg247

Post by rahulg247 »

offbeatdave wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:
iamtom wrote:I've just installed the latest PnP II on my Joggler, after restoring it to the most recent factory firmware using the Birds Like Wires tool. The OS itself works fine, but now the device resets itself every 15 or so minutes. Any ideas or suggestions?
All I can suggest is that you try roobarb's little tool from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/updatectrl-joggler
This seems to have worked for others. Worth a go.

Thank you very much.

Now to get Android working without yellow text or freezing on O2 screen when trying to install.
blc

Post by blc »

I get some pretty dire performance with the iPlayer app on this. When streaming live TV it's just fine, but if I try to stream a program the video playback is really jerky. It plays the channel ident just fine, but the actual video stream stutters like crazy (sound is fine though). It almost looked like dropped frames or a performance issue, but I've monitored the top output (over SSH with my laptop) when playing both streams and the CPU/Mem usage never gets anywhere near 100%, so it's obviously not a performance problem. It's not a network/internet problem either, as I'm on Virgin 50mbit and can stream iPlayer to my desktop or laptop without a problem.

In contrast, when I run Joli OS from USB and use the iPlayer plugin for XBMC, the playback is perfect. I would have thought that the performance would be worse, thanks to having a full-blown OS running, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have no idea about how apps on the native OS/PnP are coded/configured, and I don't know Flash at all, so I have no idea where to start debugging. Does anyone have any ideas? At the moment, this is the only thing really stopping me from using PnP.
gegs wrote:It appears the cause of the server crash was directories containing too many files. I created sub-directories in my music folders to minimise the number of files in each one ad did a re-scan; my scan is still running but it is way past where it always crashed before. I'll keep you posted.

---EDIT---
I ought to stop posting my (sort-of) successes; I only jinx myself. Shortly after posting the above the server crashed again, so obviously the directories thing is only one potential problem. Nothing in the server log gives me a clue. I think I'll eventually buy a Zyxel NAS that can run LMS (my crappy iomega one won't). I'm sure that would be a more stable solution.
I found that when I was playing a complete album - i.e. all tracks in one directory - it was just fine. But if I told it to play a random selection of *any* tracks, it hung when skipping tracks and the only way I could recover was to yank the power. I have since set up Logitech Media Server on my PC - rather than use PnP's built in server - and the response on the Joggler is far faster... To illustrate: it took the joggler about an hour and a half to scan my ~100gb music collection, but it took my PC about 3 minutes. Plus I don't have to mess around with mounting any CIFS fileshares or invoking additional kernel modules. I also removed the LMS startup script from the /etc/init.d/boot.d directory on the Joggler to try and speed things up a little, but it didn't really make much difference...
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I always thought running the server on the PC would be the ideal solution - but I'm reluctant to do so because it wastes energy. I would much rather run it on a NAS with much lower power consumption and no need for the PC to be switched on.

The NAS I have is great for most things but isn't unable to run LMS.
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

FyodorNinian wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:Not really sure what to advise. Have you tried mounting the hard drive as read/writeable in the OS? I think (not near a Joggler at the moment) that there is a little script in SWF Manager app to do this. The command it runs is something like

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /mnt
Probably no use at all (and don't even know it this command does what it should do) but that's the best I can offer I'm afraid. :?:
Thanks for the reply. I haven't try to mount the drive - not sure I'd know how to - I just plugged it in to the joggler and expected it to be 'mounted' automatically I guess. I'll try and find / have a play with SWF manager when I get home from work. Any further tips appreciated :-)

I couldn't find SWF manager. Could somebody please explain how to mount an external drive on PnP - I thought you just had a to connect the drive to the joggler for it to mount?!
blc

Post by blc »

gegs wrote:Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I always thought running the server on the PC would be the ideal solution - but I'm reluctant to do so because it wastes energy. I would much rather run it on a NAS with much lower power consumption and no need for the PC to be switched on.

The NAS I have is great for most things but isn't unable to run LMS.
:oops:

My PC is left on pretty much all the time; I used to put it in standby when I went to bed each night, but after a while I stopped doing even that... There must be a way to automatically put the computer into standby at certain times of the day, I'll have to look into this.
FyodorNinian wrote:I couldn't find SWF manager. Could somebody please explain how to mount an external drive on PnP - I thought you just had a to connect the drive to the joggler for it to mount?!
In the default configuration, the SWF manager appeared on the third homescreen when I last checked. I've seen the script to mount an external drive, but I've not played with it. All the media I could ever want to play on the Joggler is accessible via my home network, so unfortunately I've had no need to use a USB sitck with PnP.

You could connect via SSH, have a grep around the /dev/ directory to find the device number (e.g. /dev/sdb1, etc) and try mounting it manually (e.g. mount -t fat32 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/some_directory); although from what I can see, it looks like the script in SWF manager should do that for you. And if you knew how to grep the /dev/ directory and manually mount filesystems, I guess you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place and this explanation is rather pointless...!
borgs

Post by borgs »

gegs wrote:
borgs wrote:Has anyone else experienced this?
It happens when the wi-fi signal is lost at Joggler boot up; I think the default date is 21 September 2009. When it happens I reboot my router and then reboot the Joggler.
Thanks. I think I started up my router at the same time as the Joggler. Joggler booted up first, it couldn't find the time server at boot up so left it at the default.
borgs

Post by borgs »

When I booted up the Joggler without network access I found that I could not use Squeezeplay even though the server was on the same device.

If anyone is interested in turning their Joggler into a "portable" dukebox (sans network access) you just need to allocate a specific ip address to localhost in the hosts file in the etc directory. Maybe there are alternative techniques - I wasn't sure if you could just set the ip address to 127.0.0.1?

When you want it to run as a standalone box oustide of any network just set its static ip to the one listed in the hosts file.
If you want it to be on a network just set it to some other ip address.

I'm going to strap the portable HD to the back and put it and some small decent speakers in to an enclosure. Can then take it on holiday with me for use in the appartment.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I take mine on holiday with a portable drive and a selection of video files to keep the kids amused.

That, to me, is one of the great things about BuZz's distros; they generally have loads of functions that don't rely on the network. It is also the reason I don't use JoliOS as my main distro, because it is far more network dependent than the others.
gromet

Post by gromet »

Grab the kernel module from this post http://webdiary.com/2010/11/05/squeezeb ... -a-budget/. Upload this to the joggler using SCP, and test it by running (via an SSH connection): /sbin/insmod /some_directory_path/cifs.ko. Run lsmod and you should see the cifs module running. If you want, you can test it by running: mount -t cifs //server_name_or_IP/ShareName /folder_to_mount -o user=username,password=secret. Edit the following file in vi: /etc/init.d/boot.d/S99boot.hacks. Under the starthacks() function, there should be a line that reads something along the lines of "# add your hacks here ". After that point, add the two commands you just typed in manually:

/sbin/insmod /some_directory_path/cifs.ko
mount -t cifs //server_name_or_IP/ShareName /folder_to_mount -o user=username,password=secret

I'm stuck trying to mount my NAS on the joggler so that I can get the Squeezebox server to access my music collection.

I've followed blc's instructions above. I have got the cifs.ko file on the joggler. I can run the cifs module OK. But when I try to mount it using

mount -t cifs.ko //192.168.2.4/share/Music /mnt
I get the error : mount: mounting //192.168.2.4/share on /mnt failed: No such device

I can ping 192.168.2.4 (my NAS) from the jogger OK.

I haven't included -o username password on the end of the command because my NAS does not have one.

Has anyone get any ideas what I should try next?

Many thanks
blc

Post by blc »

gromet wrote:
Grab the kernel module from this post http://webdiary.com/2010/11/05/squeezeb ... -a-budget/. Upload this to the joggler using SCP, and test it by running (via an SSH connection): /sbin/insmod /some_directory_path/cifs.ko. Run lsmod and you should see the cifs module running. If you want, you can test it by running: mount -t cifs //server_name_or_IP/ShareName /folder_to_mount -o user=username,password=secret. Edit the following file in vi: /etc/init.d/boot.d/S99boot.hacks. Under the starthacks() function, there should be a line that reads something along the lines of "# add your hacks here ". After that point, add the two commands you just typed in manually:

mount -t cifs //server_name_or_IP/ShareName /folder_to_mount -o user=username,password=secret

I'm stuck trying to mount my NAS on the joggler so that I can get the Squeezebox server to access my music collection.

I've followed blc's instructions above. I have got the cifs.ko file on the joggler. I can run the cifs module OK. But when I try to mount it using

I get the error : mount: mounting //192.168.2.4/share on /mnt failed: No such device

I haven't included -o username password on the end of the command because my NAS does not have one.

Many thanks
/mnt may be reserved for use by USB sticks; though I can't confirm, as I don't really know that much about the underlying Linux distro. Have you tried creating a different directory and mounting to that? I created completely new directories when mounting my PC's shares.
gromet

Post by gromet »

blc wrote:
gromet wrote:

Many thanks
/mnt may be reserved for use by USB sticks; though I can't confirm, as I don't really know that much about the underlying Linux distro. Have you tried creating a different directory and mounting to that? I created completely new directories when mounting my PC's shares.
Thanks for the reply blc. I tried your suggestion and unfortunately it didn't help. :( I just got the same error message (No such device).

I don't know what else to try to get this to work, any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gromet
bristoljoggler

Post by bristoljoggler »

Thankyou have been looking for an update to PnP for a while now.

Cheers buddy followed the instructions and pleased to say that I have got it working with no problems so far.

:geek:
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

bristoljoggler wrote:Thankyou have been looking for an update to PnP for a while now.

Cheers buddy followed the instructions and pleased to say that I have got it working with no problems so far.

:geek:
Nice one. Will be looking to see what mods need making post-o2 updates for PnP3 next month!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jollyjoggler

Post by jollyjoggler »

hello offbeatdave,

thank you for all of the effort you put into this compilation!

does the automatic installer of your public release PnP Mk II Public v2.12p change the flash (mmc) layout of the internal flash memory?

thanks.