PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ordessa

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by ordessa »

dazla wrote:Can you confirm that once the traffic app is back whether it starts receiving data from TrafficMaster again?

Thanks,

Daz

Yup... seems to work fine for me!
dazla

Post by dazla »

Just tried it but still doesn't update with latest traffic info. TrafficMaster must have changed (or cut off) the feed that the Joggler uses, which is a shame as this used to be one of the most used features for me... :(
gegs

Post by gegs »

After being stuck in a reboot loop and trying unsuccessfully to restore Squeezeplay with my beloved Spotify plugin using the earlier verion of PnP mkII (chronicled in tedious detail here: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=471), I reflashed and tried the new version last night; it is truly superb. Well done offbeatdave!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

gegs wrote:After being stuck in a reboot loop and trying unsuccessfully to restore Squeezeplay with my beloved Spotify plugin using the earlier verion of PnP mkII (chronicled in tedious detail here: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=471), I reflashed and tried the new version last night; it is truly superb. Well done offbeatdave!
I'm just glad to be putting something back into the Joggler community after taking so much from it!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I suppose I should officially say that PnP Mk II v2.12p is available for download from http://goo.gl/aG2Vk It's already had a workout from gegs and seems to be OK so far.

Just to confirm the changes:
Squeezeserver has been updated to Logitech Media Server 7.7.1 (thanks to joh for signposting this)
Squeezeplay has been updated to roobarb's current version (wonderful as always)
A possible issue causing the Joggler to consume bandwidth with older PnP Mk II versions has hopefully been addressed (I have not had any issues with v2.12p anyway.)
Accessing the joggler via WinSCP's SFTP option should now work.

Regarding install times, my 1Gb PNY stick, which is about 2 inches long, is taking 12min 17 seconds (ish!) to complete the process ona reflashed and web-enabled Joggler. Reading around though, there are some very slow sticks being plugged into Jogglers!
gegs

Post by gegs »

ordessa wrote:Any one help me
1) where I can edit the radio stations for Pure Lounge

2) and where I can find the appropriate feeds?

Not asking much am I??
I've got a queue of "Please can you pimp my Joggler" people in the office...and 3 have asked for Heart Hampshire not london!
Not a Pure Lounge fix but if you use Squeezeplay and install the Classic FM plugin on Logitech Media Server (or Squeezebox Server) you can load various Heart stations. When installed, click on "Classic FM and others" then "All Services" then "Heart" and you will find a long list of local Heart stations. When you choose the station you want there is a choice of "Live" or "Listen Again" (I'm not sure if Heart Hampshire is there though).

If you hold your finger over the "Live" option above, a menu will appear that gives an option of "Save to Favorites" (I'm sure pete_c will appreciate the "u"-less spelling). The "Favorites" menu is on the home page of Squeezeplay and if you add your most listened to stations there, you won't need to drill through loads of menus to find them.

The choice of stations is vast on Squeezeplay and adding your best stations as favourites (where have "u" been) is a much easier way than sourcing the radio feeds and hacking the Pure Lounge program, not to mention adding icons.

Sorry that the question and answer are a bit of a thread hijack. It's better to ask questions like this in a relevant topic, or create a new one.
Last edited by gegs on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

Great work on the new update......I've just moved to this on my joggler and I can't believe how good it is. I would welcome some advice though on the squeeze play set up. current I have an etrayz has server running squeeze server and the joggler with squeeze play. I can view my music library but the BBC app and BBC internet radio don't work. it allows me to select the station but no audio is heard, its weird as it will display the dj info. is this a common issue. I installed tune in and that's OK for BBC. thanks Again
gegs

Post by gegs »

offbeatdave wrote:I suppose I should officially say that PnP Mk II v2.12p is available for download from http://goo.gl/aG2Vk It's already had a workout from gegs and seems to be OK so far.
I'd say much more than OK so far. Squeezeplay appears to be more stable, especially with the new server; I use that more than anything on the stock OS and I'm absolutely delighted.

My kids are loving the games choices too.
gegs

Post by gegs »

slyboy76 wrote:Great work on the new update......I've just moved to this on my joggler and I can't believe how good it is. I would welcome some advice though on the squeeze play set up. current I have an etrayz has server running squeeze server and the joggler with squeeze play. I can view my music library but the BBC app and BBC internet radio don't work. it allows me to select the station but no audio is heard, its weird as it will display the dj info. is this a common issue. I installed tune in and that's OK for BBC. thanks Again
Are you using the BBC iPlayer plugins? These can stream in AAC and the Joggler will play them; if your BBC streams are WMA, it won't. You can choose the stream preferences on the settings page of the iPlayer plugins on Squeezebox Server.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:Any one help me
1) where I can edit the radio stations for Pure Lounge

2) and where I can find the appropriate feeds?

Not asking much am I??
I've got a queue of "Please can you pimp my Joggler" people in the office...and 3 have asked for Heart Hampshire not london!
Via Squeezeplay, you could also try Internet Radio->Local Radio ->Portsmouth and Southampton->All stations. There is a Heart South Coast entry in this list.
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

thanks for the advice. I installed the BBC iplayer app and tweaked the server settings. its a shame the BBC through internet radio won't work but I won't loose any sleep over it. just need another joggler now for my bedroom.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Just an observation from a couple of days use:

If you use the stock OS for Squeezeplay, I'd thoroughly recommend the new PnP II. I used to have occasional screen freezes requiring reboot with the old version of Squeezeplay and Squeezebox Server. It happened frequently enough for me to enjoy Squeezeplay on the Joggler but dream of buying a Squeezebox Touch. If things carry on as smoothly, quickly and trouble-free, I honestly wouldn't need the Touch. The transition between screens is now very slick and quick with none of the previous occasional jerkiness.

I'm beginning to think it was the server causing freezes rather than Squeezeplay itself. My experience is that the new LMS is a big improvement, at least on the Joggler.
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

Having big problems getting this to work. Got it reflashed successfully then put the PnP2 stuff on the USB stick and all it would do was reboot to the default Joggler OS. Read on here that it could be an issue with the USB stick so dug out another one, put the stuff on there, booted it up and it sat with the O2 logo for ages - I tholught it must be working but after an hour decided it wasn't. So reflashed it (had to reinstall all the software on the USB stick as it said it was missing something) and tried again - and now it just reboots with the default OS. So that's two USB sticks that don't seem to work, I don't have any more, and I'm stuck with the boring O2 stuff!

Can anyone tell me the name of a USB stick that definitely works so I can get PnP2 working??! Or is there another way to do it?
pete

Post by pete »

I've tested the generic off the shelf 4 Gb stick to work OK. These "generic" USB sticks are the HP165 mini stick, the Patriot "Supersonic Xpress" and the Patriot Memory generic. Historically though with other memory sticks that I use a lot; IE: like my Seagate Dockstar landscaping watering ArchLinux configuration; I've had to do a scrub with GParted on the USB stick when I got some errors on it. It was doing a nightly backup to a secondary stick using both ext3 and fat32. Doing the scrub helped. That said the first time I tried the PnP Mk II update I thought it seemed to be taking a very long time and interupted it. Luckily on the second try; I just walked away from it and when I came back it was fine. Trying this on another Joggler watched it reboot a couple of times during the update; sometimes it seemed that the time frame between boots took a while.

Try the scrub and try the update again and see what happens. You can probably just run the script manually line by line via SSH copy and paste; I've done that on other endeavors....
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

chelseagirl wrote: Can anyone tell me the name of a USB stick that definitely works so I can get PnP2 working??! Or is there another way to do it?
I've always been really lucky with USB sticks as all the ones I've used work with everything I've tried! Currently PnP II is working here from a 1Gb Imation stick (that was properly 'cleaned' last night by the washing machine!), an 8Gb Kingston Datatraveller, a 4Gb Kingston Datatraveller and a 1Gb PNY thing. Regarding installs, they all take just over 12 minutes on a clean joggler for me.
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

The ones I used were a a 4Gb Kingston Datatraveller and a 1GB "Super Flash2. Neither worked ..... when it first started booting up the lights on both flashed, but then it rebooted into the O2 OS.

No idea what doing a scrub with Gparted is ... can someone explain in idiot terms please?

FWIW though I did delete the partition, clean the stick and reinstate the primary partition on the 4GB stick using DiskPart (I had to, for some reason my computer thought it only had a capacity of 870MB depiste being empty (and then reformat it before I extracted the files onto it.
Really dont know what to do .... bit annoyed as I was quite happy with the ild PnP and iplayer apps so guess I will have to reinstall all that again if I can remember how!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Did you boot into the stock OS and set up your account first? (name, phone number, email and wi-fi settings)

I found that PnP II didn't install the first time I tried because I didn't do the above after reflashing.
My stick is a little HP v165w 2GB one like this http://bit.ly/zYtcia - although I paid about half the price.

If you're using Windows XP you can scrub the stick and reformat it from Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Disk Management*. Right click on the stick in the bottom pane (be VERY careful you don't choose something else) delete all partitions on it, right click and format - go with all the default options. Remove the stick when formatted, re-insert it (to make sure it mounts properly) and write the PnP II files to it. Now install; I'm sure it will work if you do everything above in the right order; it will take ages to install though - just be patient and wait until the machine boots into its new home screen.

* Use the Control Panel classic view, not category view. It's easier to find what you need there.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

PnP Mk II is wonderful. Many thanks for all the work put into it.
Much of the time tho it is being used in effect as a radio controlled clock. Unfortunately after a while the clock goes dim (both the normal screensaver and when squeezeplay is running). I cannot find any setting which stops this happening.
Have I missed it?
Have a dim memory some time back of there being some modification to change this dimming behaviour - but what it was and whether it would work on the new dispensation not even the mighty google has revealed.
slyboy76

Post by slyboy76 »

guys sorry if this has already been solved but I've noticed that after returning to using the joggler after a couple of hours it stutters the music, is there any reason for this? to solve it I have to quit squeeze play and go back into it

Dave
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

mikeywilliams wrote:PnP Mk II is wonderful. Many thanks for all the work put into it.
Much of the time tho it is being used in effect as a radio controlled clock. Unfortunately after a while the clock goes dim (both the normal screensaver and when squeezeplay is running). I cannot find any setting which stops this happening.
Have I missed it?
Have a dim memory some time back of there being some modification to change this dimming behaviour - but what it was and whether it would work on the new dispensation not even the mighty google has revealed.
Have a look at the simple webserver via a browser. It's usually at something like 192.168.2.xx or whatever the Joggler's IP is. Try the autodimming option there. Not sure if it works as was from original PnP.