PnP Mk II - Superceeded by PnP III (May 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by pete »

Yes; over here I was watching it install (bad thing; like watching a clock). First time I thought installation locked up as it sat in the O2 screen; so I unplugged it (bad thing to do). I plugged the power back in and it seemed to continue where it left off and when it did its final boot all was well. On the second/third Joggler I updated; I just walked away from it and came back to a working PnP Mk II desktop some time later.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

I request (well 2 ) as I love this

1) I miss the "traffic" tool.. is it possible to have that back?

2) How can I edit 1 or two of the apps that appear to have BBC Radio Leicester or similar - I'm guessing your local areas..

Having said this...this new Update is gorgeous! really impressed!

Steve
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ordessa wrote:1) I miss the "traffic" tool.. is it possible to have that back?
I thought the Traffic app was dead?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:I request (well 2 ) as I love this

2) How can I edit 1 or two of the apps that appear to have BBC Radio Leicester or similar - I'm guessing your local areas..

Having said this...this new Update is gorgeous! really impressed!

Steve
1) You should be able to put the traffic tool back by editing the openpeak/gui/o2-applications.xml file and reinstating the line

Code: Select all

<app static="1" id="o2_trafficmaster" loc="./apps/o2_trafficmaster/" icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf"/>
and refresh (reboot if this doesn't bring it up). It'll have the old stock o2 icon though. If it still works then I'll happy put it back in when I get a chance!

2) The BBC Norfolk radio station in the iPlayer app is down to spoyser! Sorry! The BBC Lincolnshire in Squeezeplay favourites should be able to be removed via Squeezeplay itself I think. I don't think there is any other locality stuff lingering is there?
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ramtec

Post by ramtec »

I've downloaded to usb stick and inserted. When I put the power cable in all I get is the o2 logo nothing else. Do I just need to leave it alone for 15 or so mins?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ramtec wrote:I've downloaded to usb stick and inserted. When I put the power cable in all I get is the o2 logo nothing else. Do I just need to leave it alone for 15 or so mins?
Yeah, it'll stay on the o2 or Openpeak logo for 15 min or so. Occasionally it'll reboot itself. The USB stick should flash (if it is a flashing one) from time to time to indicate access. Some things (e.g. Perl) take a little bit to install.
ramtec

Post by ramtec »

excellent work offbeatdave, it's fantastic!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

My 2 year old is really enjoying Angry birds so i had a look around the threads and there a couple of threads about getting FLASH games and SWF I think it is on to the stock os :-)
So this has got me thinking if we could efi boot the stock os off say a 16 gig memory stick filled up with games etc this would be pretty neat ......no idea how to do this at the mo tho lol
happy joggling
p.s will post thread links when i find them
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ok so swf is flash doh, lol , wine talking ;-)

jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38&p=340&hilit=flash+games#p340
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahaaaa and there is a SWF launcher on pnp II allready , thanks Dave ...
So about getting a usb stick boot of the stock os then :-)
I did have a little search but i bet it is allready possible ..
Happy Joggling
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:I request (well 2 ) as I love this

Steve
Just uploading v1.80p which has a script to reinstate the traffic icon and also one to reinstate the o2 (Sky News) weather app. I don't use it as it doesn't get close enough to home with any of the places! They are in SWF->Scripts. When run, the screen will refresh (tango restarting) and the new icon will appear.
Jarv_77 wrote:Er, back to PnP II,

Just installed and midway through squeeze setup. Is there still a way to switch to USB sound output?

Thanks
Also added 4 scripts in SWF->Scripts which should give options Simple USB, Simple Internal, Advanced USB, Advanced Internal (default). I can't test the USB ones though as don't have the kit, but they are just the simple and complicated versions from the Squeezeplay thread.

Finally, in humble homage to PmJ, I've included the chess app which featured in that early project!

It'll be online at around 5:30pm GMT...

Edit: 5:35pm GMT and v1.80p is available from http://goo.gl/nAovf
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

Really enjoying this on my joggler. Probably going to stay as my bedside OS of choice :-) Many thanks.

Quick question - I can't get the Squeeze server to see my HDD or the media on it, just wondering what's the quickest way to sort it. I had the same problem ages ago with the server running on Ubuntu on a jogler, managed to sort it via terminal (something to do with permissions), but a) can'[t remember what I did and b) not sure if it would be the same fix or how I would do it using this version of PnP. Any advice appreciated.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

offbeatdave wrote:
Also added 4 scripts in SWF->Scripts which should give options Simple USB, Simple Internal, Advanced USB, Advanced Internal (default). I can't test the USB ones though as don't have the kit, but they are just the simple and complicated versions from the Squeezeplay thread.

Blimey, no sooner than I get my joggler reflashed and the PnP MkII installed than there is a new version to try! Thanks a lot for your efforts on this.

I am also having issues with squeezeserver seeing my music, but then that is pretty much the story of my life with a joggler! :D :D :roll:

I have also been trying to recreate the mod i did on my first PnP install to delay mounting if the usb at startup until squeezeserver has started - to make sure that Squeezeserver can 'see' the usb drive - see script at the end of this post to save searching. This should allow me to switch off the joggler and still have it find the music files when restarted without a complete rescan. It's not working yet and is probably a topic in its own right. To be honest I think all my problems with squeeze server are to do with the Western Digital usb drives I have which spin down when not in use. The joggler doesn't seem to wake them up all the time resulting in it having a full library of tunes but unable to load any of them and needing a re-scan which takes hours (7000+ tracks).

Cheers.

(delaying startup of server - With thanks to Spoyser...)
edit the squeezeboxserver startup script.

enter vi /etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server

Move the cursor to the line that starts /media/gforums/apps/blah blah

Press i followed by #
Move to the start of next line down (sleep7) and type #
Move to the start of next line down (echo rescan blah blah) and type #
Then press esc followed by : then x then enter (this exits and saves the file)

Now you need to edit the rcS file, so start by

vi /etc/init.d/rcS

Move the cursor to the end of the very last line ends ,/blctrl)& make sure the cursor is under the & press a then press enter twice, now type the folowing 4 lines, make sure you get it all absolutely correct,

cd
/media/gforums/apps/squeezeboxserver-7.6.0-31297/slimserver.pl --daemon
sleep7
echo rescan | /media/gforums/busybox nc -w1 localhost 9090

(you should notice these are the same as the lines you commented out of the original startup script)

now hit esc, followed by : followed by x

finally type reboot, your joggler should reboot and that should be it.
chiliblue

Post by chiliblue »

Really excited by this, my joggler has been sat buy my bed for an age now working as an alarm clock. I had thought about installing linux to it but hadn't had a compelling reason to do so. After all the standard software did most of the things I needed, I installed pmj sometime back to get my bbc tv, squeeze player, opera and google calendar.

Only major annoyance is the glowing backlight...a birthday card over the thing at night deals with that...not entirely elegant.

So I would really like to try pmp 2...but I have a couple of questions.

Looks like I need to remove all the pmj stuff first. If i reflash to the stock software using the link on this forum what happens to the o2 settings? I guess the only thing that might mess up is the sms messaging. How is that tied to the device? will it stop working, generate a new number or is the number linked to the device by s/n or mac address?

Also is pmp 2 editable, i.e. is there a config file I can edit to prevent some of the apps I don't really need being installing? ANd can I get rid of some of the o2 apps that way, I won't ever use o2 Calendar for example.

Thanks in adavnce
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

@chiliblue
Only major annoyance is the glowing backlight...a birthday card over the thing at night deals with that...not entirely elegant.
The 'Screen Off' icon deals with this one for you!
Looks like I need to remove all the pmj stuff first. If i reflash to the stock software using the link on this forum what happens to the o2 settings? I guess the only thing that might mess up is the sms messaging. How is that tied to the device? will it stop working, generate a new number or is the number linked to the device by s/n or mac address?
Reflashing returns the Joggler to the factory, out-of-the-box state with the final software update (ie enter Name etc.). The messaging number remains the same (although obviously any stored messages and numbers are removed). MAC remains intact. I heartily recommend the Reflashing Tool referenced in the post of that name. I'd also recommend setting up your network connection once it's booted up before installing PnP although it doesn't actually need it. Squeezeplay setup doesn't like not having a network connection though.
Also is pmp 2 editable, i.e. is there a config file I can edit to prevent some of the apps I don't really need being installing?
All you need to do once you've got the PnP2 stuff on a USB stick is edit the PnP_mkII.shx file in the files directory. I personally use Notepad++. This script basically installs everything in PnP2 and is organised into lumps of code for each app. Just add a # to the beginning of each line in a lump of code associated with an app to prevent it from installing.
ANd can I get rid of some of the o2 apps that way, I won't ever use o2 Calendar for example.
Two ways: One way is to let it all install, then get into the openpeak/gui/o2-applications.xml file (e.g. via telnet or WinSCP) and remove the lines for the apps you don't want. The other way is to extract the file from files/o2-applications.tar on the USB stick before install, remove the lines there and use 7-zip or similar to recreate the .tar archive containing your modified o2-applications.xml file. Then put it back on the USB stick in the files directory and install PnP2. I don't remember why I created it in a .tar and didn't leave it as an .xml!

I warn you now though - once you start tinkering you won't be able to stop! I've tried to resist but just can't help myself! :D
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

Jarv_77 wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:

Blimey, no sooner than I get my joggler reflashed and the PnP MkII installed than there is a new version to try! Thanks a lot for your efforts on this.

I am also having issues with squeezeserver seeing my music, but then that is pretty much the story of my life with a joggler! :D :D :roll:

I have also been trying to recreate the mod i did on my first PnP install to delay mounting if the usb at startup until squeezeserver has started - to make sure that Squeezeserver can 'see' the usb drive - see script at the end of this post to save searching. This should allow me to switch off the joggler and still have it find the music files when restarted without a complete rescan. It's not working yet and is probably a topic in its own right. To be honest I think all my problems with squeeze server are to do with the Western Digital usb drives I have which spin down when not in use. The joggler doesn't seem to wake them up all the time resulting in it having a full library of tunes but unable to load any of them and needing a re-scan which takes hours (7000+ tracks).

Cheers.

(delaying startup of server - With thanks to Spoyser...)
edit the squeezeboxserver startup script.

enter vi /etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server

Move the cursor to the line that starts /media/gforums/apps/blah blah

Press i followed by #
Move to the start of next line down (sleep7) and type #
Move to the start of next line down (echo rescan blah blah) and type #
Then press esc followed by : then x then enter (this exits and saves the file)

Now you need to edit the rcS file, so start by

vi /etc/init.d/rcS

Move the cursor to the end of the very last line ends ,/blctrl)& make sure the cursor is under the & press a then press enter twice, now type the folowing 4 lines, make sure you get it all absolutely correct,

cd
/media/gforums/apps/squeezeboxserver-7.6.0-31297/slimserver.pl --daemon
sleep7
echo rescan | /media/gforums/busybox nc -w1 localhost 9090

(you should notice these are the same as the lines you commented out of the original startup script)

now hit esc, followed by : followed by x

finally type reboot, your joggler should reboot and that should be it.

Thanks loads for the response. Am not exactly experienced in these things - sorry for such a basic question, but where / how do I start editing as you suggest? How do I edit the 'squeezeboxserver startup script'?

Am surprised there isn't a simpler way to get the squeezebox server to 'see' media on an external HDD - is everyone that uses the sb server having to enter those changes to get it to work?
w1ndrush

Post by w1ndrush »

Great work offbeatdave, I have re joggled 3 of my devices, using the reflash from roobarb and your cut and paste work. When I fired up native squeezeplay and used the spotify plugin, the account logged in wasn't mine !
I haven't had time to recreate this yet, but think you might need to check your spotify account ? From memory it was something like 'avoland', ring any bells with anyone ?
roobarb!

PnP Mk II - Here it is!

Post by roobarb! »

Woo, free Spotify! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Wouldn't even know how to use Spotify so it's not mine!
a8ree

Post by a8ree »

I seem to have ended up with mine in a boot loop after attempting to install. I can no longer get it to start up.

Any ideas?