JazzMod:Source InDev 1 (coming soon)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
marxjohnson

Re: JazzMod:Source InDev 1 (coming soon)

Post by marxjohnson »

I just found a handy workaround for cleanly powering down the Joggler.

I've got a USB keyboard with Power/Sleep/Wake keys. Android reacts to these keys just like a hardware power button, and displays the Power Off prompt. After shutting down cleanly the subsequent boot is much faster (no sitting at the terminal while fsck runs).

Does anyone know of a USB device which just provides one of these buttons?
QuackingPlums

Post by QuackingPlums »

A while ago I got a freebie 'eco' button for my PC - a big illuminated green pushbutton on the end of a long USB lead that when installed, allowed me to press it to put the PC to sleep. I wonder if that would work?

EDIT: Something like this http://www.nigelsecostore.com/acatalog/ ... on_pc.html
PS - I no longer have mine. I didn't find it useful so I binned it!
marxjohnson

Post by marxjohnson »

I've had others suggest the EcoButton. Apparrently Linux interprets a press of it as the XF86Sleep keycode. I'm not sure if that's the same as my keyboard is sending as my PC goes to sleep when I try to test it!

I might grab one off amazon/ebay and give it a go.
travish

Post by travish »

Just having a play around with this build and it works quite well, I have managed to get Squeezeplayer (a non-free Logitech Media Server player / client) working quite well on the device, along with some home automation stuff.
FullScreen allows the ICS button to be hidden, and using Startup Manager (which only works in Portrait - so half screen) you can add apps to automatically open on startup :).

The only thing i am struggling with, is that the screen will dim, but won't actually durn off.

Has anyone managed to get the screen to Turn off, or is that something that could potentially be rolled into the next build (no doubt it is not an easy thing lol).

Thanks for a great build!
travish

Post by travish »

Great Build, i got all of the apps going quite well on this one.
I did notice something strange though, I used the same image and copied it to a few drives, now Squeezeplayer is syncing devices as if they were one, presumabally because they have the same DeviceID etc.
Is there any way a DeviceID can be regenerated, or reset?

Thanks
Zaxxon

Post by Zaxxon »

Hey Jazz. First, can I say that I'm loving your work - you've brought new life into my old Joggler, thank you. I have an old PC in which either the motherboard has died or the processor has died... however, the RAM is still good AFAIK. I have 2 sticks of 184 pin DIMM's which are either 1Gb each or 2Gb each (from memory, although I would need to check to make sure). If you have free slots inside your dev machine then consider them yours... just PM me on the side and let me know and I'll confirm the specs to you... if they're any good to you then I'll pop them in the post to you. HTH. Carry on the cracking work - can't wait to see the next version.
kimbray

Post by kimbray »

I cannot get Wi-Fi to work on this version. Any help appreciated....

The Wi-Fi in settings does not come on...Do I need an app to make it work?
QuackingPlums

Post by QuackingPlums »

kimbray wrote:I cannot get Wi-Fi to work on this version. Any help appreciated....

The Wi-Fi in settings does not come on...Do I need an app to make it work?
WiFi just works fine for me, on both of my Jogglers. I didn't do anything other than turning it on in the settings and selecting my WLAN.

When you say it doesn't come on, is the setting greyed out or will the option simply not slide over to the "on" position?
kimbray

Post by kimbray »

Does not slide over to the ON position...does not move over...
kimbray

Post by kimbray »

Any feedback on why wireless not working? Other way would be to get my Ethernet port working as well. Neither work with JazzMod. With Ubuntu, I get wireless. With earlier versions of Android 2.2.2, I get wired Ethernet to work... Nothing with JazzMod.
QuackingPlums

Post by QuackingPlums »

Clutching at straws a bit here, but is your screen responsive at all on that far right edge? One of mine is less responsive than the other - certain apps cannot be used because it stops registering my finger when it goes to the right hand edge. Just wondering if it's specifically the WiFi option or are all options un-slidable?
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

It's not dead, it's just sleeping

I now have a week to work on this and other projects. A whole week! For the umpteemph time, I'm sorry I haven't had time to work on this. My priority is to get OpenPeak 7E WiFi working (as someone invested money and effort to get one over to me and I haven't sorted it out yet), followed by Ethernet.
acesabe

Post by acesabe »

/me eagerly awaits the results :)
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

ditto!
Angelo
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Can't wait :-D
Happy Joggling
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

Hi All

Been a while since I dusted off my Joggler but with a house move imminent and meaning much more space, I'd love to be able to use it in one of the rooms.

At present I've done some tinkering and have got an Xubuntu Image with XBMC working nicely but Android on the Joggler is hugely tempting with the extra possibilities of simple access to other apps etc, and hopefully being able to use it as a clock too...

Has anyone give xbmc a try using the android image?

Also, what is the best version to try from the links dotted through the thread?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Android will not work Xbmc I'm afraid as its a X86 version also video is not much good either.
If you just use the jogler for music only tho, upnp or bubbleupnp apps on android work well to stream music to the joggler also many other apps also work well for the Joggler.
Xbmc remote works OK as well I believe
Good luck :-)
Happy Joggling
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

Cheers for the info.

I may well stick with the xubuntu image for a while then, if only I could leave it running xbmc and have a nice clock as a screensaver...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

If you get the joggler skin by DJ TOLL that has a full screen clock screensaver :-)
Happy Joggling
valve90210

Post by valve90210 »

how do I go about getting the joggler skin when using the xubuntu image with XBMC? I know it was built into an image that boots direct into XBMC but my joggler ran really slowly with that image for some reason...