OctoJoggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Justblair

OctoJoggler

Post by Justblair »

Thought I would start a thread to let you know what I am doing and who I ought to thank.

First what am I up to?

Well I own 2 Jogglers, one that has been used occasionally as part of my headphone/amp/dac rig for some time. It runs on Roobarb's Squeezeplayer firmware which needs reinstalled every so often but has been a faithful friend. It is a bit hardware modified and does a good job.

My second Joggler used to supply music to the kitchen/dining/family room, but was displaced by Alexa some time ago. It has been annoying me for a bit, but ultimately it's music playing days are over. So what to do with it. I suddenly realized a few days ago that it is roughly raspberry piish in performance terms... and also runs linux. I am currently building/modernising a 3D printer.

So my plan is to install Octoprint on the Joggler and create an auto loading kiosk for the touch screen. This will then control the printer, including switching it on and off with mqtt commands. Ideally I will be able to install this on flash, but I am not a linux guy and if i get this running off USB I will be pretty chuffed

So far I have Roobarb's Bionic Base running on a USB stick. It is connected via ethernet and I have managed to get Octoprint running. I have yet to test it thanks to a disastrous and somewhat smokey mosfet failure on my existing 3D printer. I may need some advice on this. I just used the root login to install the Octoprint software, and I have yet to run it as another user or automate it to run as a service. I followed the instructions:setting up octoprint on a raspberry pi running raspbian

I did then try to adduser, but I failed to get that user to access the Virtualenv or start the server. I will play with it some more and see what happens.

Then I need to set up a front end, presumably using chromium and some form of kioskey setup. I am happy to listen to advice.
pete

Re: OctoJoggler

Post by pete »

Wow!

Yes here tried a lite XPe like run on a virtualenv configuration. It worked but was really slow.

Did you utilize the no-site-packages option when setting up your virtualenv? Thinking it is the default now anyhow.

Chromium, Firefox and Opera work except that they are really slow.

Here went to tinkering with a Pine64 and now thinking about using the new RockPi4 which is a tad faster, 4Gb of RAM, use of SD, eMMC or .m2 Sata.

Here the embedded eMMC Jogglers are running Squeezeplayer. The hardware modified Jogglers are running XPe - modified with a 16Gb SSD inside.

I see now that you can run Virtualenv in Docker. I am guessing here that docker will run well on the Joggler. I am having issues running docker on the Rockchip computers. Ran it fine on the RPi.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Justblair

Post by Justblair »

I'm open to suggestions for a browser. I did have chrome working for a little bit before I managed to corrupt the usb drive. Tonight I fixed a few things, but I need to get the brpwser working again
jkn

Post by jkn »

Justblair wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:21 am I'm open to suggestions for a browser. I did have chrome working for a little bit before I managed to corrupt the usb drive. Tonight I fixed a few things, but I need to get the brpwser working again
Justblair, eh? I remember reading your blog a few years ago...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sounds like a great idea , keep us updated :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
Justblair

Post by Justblair »

Justblair, eh? I remember reading your blog a few years ago...
[/quote]

Yes it is I. The website is still there, but I have been less able to write to it since fatherhood interjected.
Justblair

Post by Justblair »

hawsey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 pm Sounds like a great idea , keep us updated :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Where I am right now is that I have Midori presenting the touch interface, and I have been playing around with Klipper to see if it is feasable to use it on the joggler at the same time. Having problems getting it installed.

Then I had a fault in my printer that needs sorted before I can do much else
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Justblair wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:56 amYes it is I. The website is still there, but I have been less able to write to it since fatherhood interjected.
Ha, that sounds familiar. :D
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Hi justblair

Do you have an Octoprint img file for Joggler device?

Br