Tutorial for adding Flash games to your Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Infinite Element

Tutorial for adding Flash games to your Joggler

Post by Infinite Element »

Thought I'd write an up-to-date tutorial on how to run Flash games.

PART 1: Install Plug'n'Pimp
1. Extract the contents of the Plug'n'Pimp zip file onto a USB stick.
2. Turn on your Joggler with the USB stick attached.
3. Once booted, remove the USB stick and format it via your PC.
4. Find out your Joggler's IP address, then go to that address via your PC's web browser. Install SWF Manager from the page that loads.

PART 2: Install SCP
1. In Windows, run PuTTY, type your Joggler's IP, select Telnet, then press enter. Type 'letmein' into the window that loads, and press enter.
2. Type the following code exactly to the letter:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
wget http://london.mnetcs.com/joggler/installSCP.sh
tr -d \\r < installSCP.sh > installSCP.unix.sh
chmod +x installSCP.unix.sh
./installSCP.unix.sh
rm installSCP.unix.sh
rm installSCP.sh
3. Run WinSCP on your PC. Type the Joggler's IP address. The username is 'letmeinssh' and the password is 'joggler1234'.
4. Go to media/appshop/flash. From here, you can edit the url.txt folder and add or remove any SWF file. Alternatively, you can copy a SWF file to this folder, or delete the existing ones.

Installing SWF Files
1. Using Google Chrome, go to a web page on your PC that contains a flash game.
2. Press CTRL + U to view the source code.
3. Press CTRL + F to find. Search for embed src and click the blue underlined text which ends '.swf'. The game should load in full screen.
4. Click the spanner at the top right of Google Chrome, and select "Save page as..."
5. Save the file to your PC (ensure there are no spaces in the filename), then drag it to the media/appshop/flash folder in WinSCP.
6. You can now access the game via your Joggler. Simply load 'SWF Launcher' and it should be in there.

Note that some flash games will not run locally on your Joggler. If this is the case (or if you don't want to take up the Joggler's 1GB storage), follow these steps instead:

Accessing SWF URLs
1. Using Google Chrome, go to a web page on your PC that contains a flash game.
2. Press CTRL + U to view the source code.
3. Press CTRL + F to find. Search for embed src and click the blue underlined text which ends '.swf'. The game should load in full screen.
4. At the top of Google Chrome, copy the URL (i.e. 'www.this.com/game.swf').
5. In WinSCP, open 'media/appshop/flash/url.txt' and paste the URL, but ensure it contains "http://" at the start.
6. You can now access the game via your Joggler. Simply load 'SWF Launcher' and select 'URL'. It should be in there.

Quickly test or rename SWF files (and delete crappy ones!)
1. In WinSCP, select Options > Preferences. Then select 'Editors', and click Remove to remove the two default Editors.
2. Select "Add ..." then select 'External Editor:' and click 'Browse...'
3. Find Chrome.exe (mine was in C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe).
4. Where it says "Use this editor for the following files:" type *.swf
5. Un-tick the box "Force text transfer mode for files edited in external editor"
6. Now click "Add ..." then press OK to open all other files in the default program.
These steps allow you to double-click a file in WinSCP to quickly test whether the default Flash files are worth keeping. It also lets you quickly test whether they will work OK on the Joggler. I was thinking of downloading a torrent full of Flash games later and using this method to filter out the games that won't work well.

Hopefully this helps newbies get Flash games onto their Joggler. The more people know how to do this, the more SWF files we can gather! Please post SWF games/apps that work well on the Joggler by replying to this thread! I will post some when I find them.
Last edited by Infinite Element on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gegs

Re: Tutorial for adding Flash games to your Joggler

Post by gegs »

If anybody wants to download a url.txt file with loads of games you can download my url.txt file from here:

http://www.4shared.com/document/MS4o7lo3/url.html

--EDIT-- The above file has been removed from the 4shared site. If anybody wants it, PM me and I'll get a copy to you somehow.

This has the BBC iPlayer channels at the top for easy access. They play much better from SWF Manager than from the iPlayer app. All games are appropriate for families with perhaps the exception of the Yeti Sports ones (it depends how old your kids are). The Yeti Sports games should be near the end of the list.

You might want to try out the games first and edit out ones you don't want before uploading to your Joggler.

------EDIT------

The above comment about iPlayer playing better in SWF Manager than the iPlayer app does not apply to spoyser's excellent version. The above post was written before he released his iPlayer app on steroids.
Last edited by gegs on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Infinite Element

Thanks for that, gegs. I'll try them out.

I've found the following torrent: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5841343 ... Zombies_to

It's from a trusted source, and I can't see any obvious copyright problems, so in theory it should be safe.

I'm going to try a few of them out and then maybe make a Joggler-friendly zip file with them on.
Infinite Element

Thanks Q! I've edited the first post.
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

Nice tutorial! My Joggler is still stock (stick to USB installs) but that may change one day ;)
michelparth112 wrote:(removed quoted spambot spam)
It appears all you have to do nowadays is mention the word "games" in a title and the spambots arrive! :cry:
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Silly spambot! should know better than bumping old thread's! lool
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

replying to the spambots quoting their spam isn't a great idea - as then I have to do even more work to clean the mess up. Better to flag and ignore, and it will be removed when moderator is next on.