3 Faulty Jogglers on Ebay ended today...

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jimeney

3 Faulty Jogglers on Ebay ended today...

Post by jimeney »

Ok, Fess up.

Who outbid me? :D
gegs

Re: 3 Faulty Jogglers on Ebay ended today...

Post by gegs »

I was watching the item but didn't actually make a bid due to depleted post-Christmas funds.

Has anybody on the forum bought any of these customer returns? If so, were they restorable or completely kaput? The last time I made an enquiry for a customer return Joggler on Ebay I was told that the unit wouldn't even power up. Boot loops I could probably handle but not complete power failures.
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

I'm sure someone on here had the last 3, reflashed them and now they're working. That's what prompted me to bid today. Hopefully someone on here did buy them and might be willing to sell one to me :)
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I had the 3 from just before Christmas, I forget who got the others. What was the final bid? I paid £65 buy it now, but the next lot went for only £45-ish. No power supplies though and the seller who I've been waiting for to send the power supplies had stock delivery problems. Crapola. Looking for more. I now have 5 Jogglers with only 2 PSUs. I told the kids that my original 2 had babies! :D
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Damn, all these multi jogglers makes me jealous, still only have just the one lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

they went for £70 inc p and p in the end today. cant believe how scarce these have become
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

I had 3 of them, just needed reflashing, I got mine for £50 made an offer.
Jogglermaniac
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

I picked up 3 in mid December for £60 inc postage. 1x Openpeak and 2 O2, all stuck on logos.

Like a lot of these lots they only come with one PSU. Has anyone found a good source for a replacement?

I keep watching these auctions, but maybe 6 jogglers is enough now! :D
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Given that us here are the only people likely to bid on these, I think we can be a bit more tactical about ebay.

Why dont we pool efforts when bidding so the price doesnt get driven up too high then split the costs?
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Good idea, especially when there are job lots for sale. Perhaps start a thread on the 'for sale' section on this forum just for this purpose. We could post a reply to get 'first dibs' on a ebay listing... or we could all vote to see who is most in need of each Joggler. ;P

I wonder who the 3 guests browsing the forum at this moment are?

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I picked up a few of these customer return Jogglers recently on Buy It Now. One is OpenPeak, one O2 and the other appears to be dead - could be a boot chip gone awry, as I can see some LEDs come to life on the board itself (so at least it hasn't been fried). Not reflashed them yet, just haven't had the chance.

Interestingly, the ones that powered up to a logo all had screen corruption, although they were rather cold from shipping. I have never had a Joggler with screen corruption on boot before, except for one sent to me by Mr_Dave on here to solve the 'downloading updates' bug.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

I recently bought a job lot of 3 Jogglers from ebay.
2 of them only go as far as the O2 logo on the screen and one comes up with a completely white screen when powered on.
I've tried to re-flash all of them with Roobarb's re-flashing tool but had no success.
The 2 that only go as far as the O2 logo both see the USB stick/Card reader and the re-flash completes successfully but then the reboot never gets past the O2 logo.
I've tried 4 different memory devices, one of which was successfully used on 3 other Jogglers, to no avail.
I've left the reboot for hours and nothing happens.
Each of the two has now gone through the re-flashing process successfully half a dozen times yet still only shows the O2 logo on reboot.
Both will boot into Joli OS without any problems.
The one with the completely white display doesn't see the USB memory devices and doesn't respond using a keyboard and the fs0:, boot.nsh commands.
I'm guessing the "recovering a bricked EFI" procedure will be the next thing to try, however I'll need to get at least one of the other 2 working before I can try it.
If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thank you Roobarb for making your "Reflashing Tool" available to us all.
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

ok well theres one ending today in 6hrs - anybody already bidding or can i call dibs?

1 joggler, faulty, case has been opened
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I won't be bidding. 5 is enough for me! :D

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Cbredfred, so you're still stuck on the O2 logo after a reflash... Does the trick for me when I've been too brutal with the internal flash storage... Perhaps the efi is corrupted on those. As for the one with a bright white screen, I've not seen that before. If you're looking for a replacement efi chip to get you out of trouble, I remember mickchip has half a dozen from his efi/bios replacement experiments. Is the lack of an internal OS such a loss for the O2 logo ones?

david_f1976

Post by david_f1976 »

Mevi wrote:I had the 3 from just before Christmas, I forget who got the others. What was the final bid? I paid £65 buy it now, but the next lot went for only £45-ish. No power supplies though and the seller who I've been waiting for to send the power supplies had stock delivery problems. Crapola. Looking for more. I now have 5 Jogglers with only 2 PSUs. I told the kids that my original 2 had babies! :D
That would probably be me who got the 3x Jogglers for £46. I've used the reflashing tool but I still can't get the internal OS to boot (2 x OpenPeak; 1 x O2), despite a successful flash, which is a shame. However, all boot fine from USB.

I got my PSUs for these from CPC/Farnell. First post so assuming I can't post links, but this is the detail:
POWERPAX - PA-1030-0540 - ADAPTOR, 5V, 4A, MULTI INPUT

Nice that they are universal as I may be moving to North America soon, but the lead is a little short (about 90 cm).
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

cbredfred wrote:Each of the two has now gone through the re-flashing process successfully half a dozen times yet still only shows the O2 logo on reboot. Both will boot into Joli OS without any problems.
It sounds likely that the flash memory on the Joggler itself has given up. Just like a USB stick, it can wear out - and some will wear out sooner than others. There's one last ditch attempt you could try. Boot into any of the Ubuntu systems, bring up the Terminal app and run this:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M
This will write over the internal flash memory with zeros - just let it keep going until it says it's out of space. Then try the reflash tool again. There's no guarantee, because if the memory is already faulty it may not write all of the zeros, or not write all of the OS data. You can check with this:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | hexdump -C | grep [^00]
Which, if it's just zeros, will give you something like this:

#dd if=test | hexdump -C | grep [^00]
00000000  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
1048576 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 0.0859875 s, 12.2 MB/s
The above was run on a 1MB test file to demonstrate, but you're looking for one single line of zeros. Anything else shows that the flash memory isn't working correctly.
cbredfred wrote:Thank you Roobarb for making your "Reflashing Tool" available to us all.
I'm glad it's saving Jogglers that might otherwise go in the bin. They're a nice bit of kit. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

Thank you for the help folks.
This is what I got as a result of the commands you recommended Roobarb:

2008064+0 records in
2008064+0 records out
1028128768 bytes (1.0GB) copied, 63.3143 s, 16.2 MB/s
00000000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |.................|
3d480000

Not sure what all that means so I'm going to assume it is all good and try to reflash again.
Will let you know how I get on.
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

Still only gets as far as the O2 logo.
Street

Post by Street »

I was watching a few of the faulty listings but never got around to bidding. Have been after another Joggler but they all seem to be going for about £60+, I wish I'd stocked up on them when they were cheaper. I only paid about £35 each for all of mine a while back!