Ubuntu+squeezeserver+Squeezeplay - plea for an idiots guide

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: Ubuntu+squeezeserver+Squeezeplay - plea for an idiots gu

Post by gegs »

Well done!
Perhaps you could post your fstab here as an example and detail the process of making yout FAT32 partition visible to the server.

I had a fiddle around with LMS myself last night and enabled uPnP scanning. I can now browse music files on my iomega NAS, create playlists and play them through the Joggler. The only proviso is that I have to do this using LMS on my PC (I find it too fiddly using LMS web interface on the Joggler). I can't browse the NAS and create playlists in Squeezeplay on the Joggler itself. If anybody knows how, please share.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

I'm with you on the user interface of LMS on the joggler, not friendly. Are you managing to create a playlist in squeezeplay and then have it saved so you can revisit and use it later? I do remember some issue about the permissions required to do this being fixed by the fstab entry mounting the drive as rw.

I haven't had a chance to sort out what my joggler ip is yet so haven't been into the LMS set up page via laptop.

Plan now is to:
-sort out ip address to login as :9000 from laptop
-figure out how to set up fat32 partition as samba share so I can copy new files in using wifi. (have some info from the forum saved to read through)
-sort out a usb hub that works so I can plug in usb sound card again with the external hdd. (Hdd doesn't work on unpowered hub and the powered hub I bought sends juice back to the joggler preventing it booting properly)

Busy busy! :o)
gegs

Post by gegs »

I think I'd better not advise too much. You're using Squeezeplay on Joli and I'm mainly using the stock OS; that might make a difference as far as file/drive permissions are concerned.

Regarding playlists; I mainly create these on Spotify on my PC and they are available on the Spotify plugin on the Joggler. I tried to add files to Spotify playlists on the Joggler with the old Squeezebox Server setup and it didn't work, but I managed to delete a playlist from the Joggler last night with the new LMS configuration. If I can delete them I'm sure I could create them (on Spotify at least); I'll give it a go later.

As for creating playlists from network shares using only the Joggler, I couldn't. I couldn't find the shares using the Joggler interface; maybe I haven't fiddled around enough. What I could do was create a playlist from network files in LMS on my PC and play these through the Joggler (using LMS' web interface controls). I haven't checked whether a playlist is accessible and controllable from the Joggler once created in LMS; another project for the weekend.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Jarv_77 wrote:I'm with you on the user interface of LMS on the joggler, not friendly. Are you managing to create a playlist in squeezeplay and then have it saved so you can revisit and use it later? I do remember some issue about the permissions required to do this being fixed by the fstab entry mounting the drive as rw.

I haven't had a chance to sort out what my joggler ip is yet so haven't been into the LMS set up page via laptop.

Plan now is to:
-figure out how to set up fat32 partition as samba share so I can copy new files in using wifi. (have some info from the forum saved to read through)
-sort out a usb hub that works so I can plug in usb sound card again with the external hdd. (Hdd doesn't work on unpowered hub and the powered hub I bought sends juice back to the joggler preventing it booting properly)

Busy busy! :o)
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

I'm back.

Looking at the list I wrote last year, here is an update.....

I did this by trial and error 192.168.0.x:9000 where x is a number between 1 and 9, found it in the end.

Never did get this to work, I got lost in settings somewhere and confusion over whether thedrive is accessible to read from or to rad from AND write to.

This was fixed by using the powered hub but without switching the hub power supply on! (External harddrive has its own power supply).

So I have been using Joli on an external harddrive running mediaserver and squeezeplayer - with my MP3s stored on a media partition of the external harddrive.

However, Joli is getting on my nerves now, I don't actually use anything on Joli, it is merely a device that allows me to run mediaserver and squeezeplay but they have obviously been faffing with it and updating the interface etc. I'm not enirely happy with keeping it as it is web based and would prefer to use something like Mint instead which feels more solid and longer lasting and lessl likely to access an update online and go wrong!

Could I simply write Mint to a USB stick then copy and paste the files into the Linux boot partition on my external drive, overwriting the Joli files already in there? I would of course then need to load up media server and squeezeplay again and fiddle with fstab etc etc but it sounds plausible........ Maybe then I can get that samba share working and use my joggler as a NAS.

Nice to see the forum is still thriving, I will have ot have a browse around again to catchup.

Cheers
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

if you dont need joli, i would recommend something like xubuntu, or just build from the base image with your own desktop etc.

I will not be updating / releasing new linux mint images currently due to lack of free time, and lack of users.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Buzz,
Thanks, Xubuntu will be fine.

However, if no-one else is worried about Joli maybe I will just stick with it and try and get the samba share working properly. I notice in another thread that you have been on the case with the Joli developers and that they seem to be doing the right things so perhaps it is a good way to carry on at the moment.

Thanks
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

im still using it. they added some of the missing stuff to the new web interface now. still some stuff missing though.