Is Plug'n'Pimp a dead duck

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ordessa

Is Plug'n'Pimp a dead duck

Post by ordessa »

no - seriously NO disrespect to the author...but it PnP no longer a viable option
I had to rebuild my Joggler again after I added the Iplayer option over xmas... and wondered about going back now as i can recover reliably..
Jarv_77

Re: Is Plug'n'Pimp a dead duck

Post by Jarv_77 »

I know what you mean. Without pnp I wouldn't be enthusing about the Joggler and have it running as my main music source at home. But, I am having problems with slimserver and do wonderif I should abandon and got the ubuntu route where I understand I can have the slimserver updates and have better assurance its all working correctly.

I think the pnp concept is great though for non linux experts. A small programme that I can access with easy buttons to press to carry out commands. Changing to usb soundcard for example...

Gforums has said here on the forum that he will not be updating pnp. Perhaps there is another generous individual who could take over the concept or the software and keep it going for beer money?

I just don't have the knowledge.

David.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I still rate P'n'P but with reservations. A lot of the programs are now older versions and Christian (gforums) is not developing it further.
It is useful because it is an easy way to install telnet, ssh and scp and also for some of its available tools. When the Joggler is playing up (on the stock OS) I use it to re-boot without having to pull the power cable from the back. It also has a useful "Restart Tango" function and an installable app that does the same thing. There's also an easy method to change from internal to USB soundcard (and vice versa), which can be very useful if testing USB sound devices - although you may want to further modify the 'asound.conf' file when you have a working device.

My advice would be to check for updated versions of each of the P'n'P apps on this forum. Use different installation methods for the updated apps, but you can use the P'n'P version if there's no alternative (e.g. I have the P'n'P version of Opera installed because I don't know of any later version for the Joggler). P'n'P also has a useful uninstall option for its apps; you can remove them easily if a better version is available from another source.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Good summary gegs, Gareth did a really good job and probably sparked the interest in the joggler found on this forum..

Slight thread hijack, does anyone know if a newer version of slimserver can be added without going the full ubuntu route?

Thanks.
gegs

Post by gegs »

With regard to Logitech Media Server (formerly Slimserver, SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox Server), I was going to ask Christian for an update on P'n'P but he announced he wasn't developing it further. I would also be grateful if anybody could tell me how to install this on stock OS.

Ubuntu isn't a problem for me but my wife prefers the stock OS because it's easy to understand for non-techies.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

gegs wrote:With regard to Logitech Media Server (formerly Slimserver, SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox Server), I was going to ask Christian for an update on P'n'P but he announced he wasn't developing it further. I would also be grateful if anybody could tell me how to install this on stock OS.

Ubuntu isn't a problem for me but my wife prefers the stock OS because it's easy to understand for non-techies.
Perhaps this might be the time to get some Android goodness on your Joggler :-)
The Squeeze Player app now runs very well on it.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Squeeze Player works very well on stock OS and Ubuntu too. It's an updated version of the server I'd like to install on the stock OS, not the player.

Ubuntu is my preferred alternative OS. I run it from a hard drive and use it as a NAS to stream media files to my Apple TV / Xbox360 / networked Blu-Ray player. If Android doesn't have a Samba equivalent, I'm not interested.

I appreciate that Android is ideal for other users and how they use their device. That's what is great about the Joggler, it's not "one-size-fits-all"; users can tailor it to their requirements. Proof of this is evident even on my machine; my wife boots stock OS, I use it as described previously and my kids like the JoliOS version (although I'll probably introduce them to Android soon).

This thread is starting to drift off-topic though; we should limit it to Plug'n'Pimp posts. LMS or Squeezeplay stuff is better posted elsewhere.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Is there any way a stock os pimped up with most or all apps updated could be incorporated in to something like the re flashing tool ?
I am a bit clueless on Linux so apologies if this is a daft idea lol :-)
Happy Joggling
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

gegs wrote:Squeeze Player works very well on stock OS and Ubuntu too. It's an updated version of the server I'd like to install on the stock OS, not the player.
gegs,

If like me you suspect the PnP squeezeserver version is getting too out of date then the methodology on this page may help......
http://webdiary.com/2010/11/05/squeezeb ... -a-budget/
Haven't tried it myself but I'm sure you could upload a recent version of logitech media server inplace of the suggested older file?????
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks for the link.

Installing on Ubuntu is normally a breeze but has anybody on the forum tried installing Logitech Media Server (i.e. the new version) on the stock OS? It would be great to know how well it runs before fiddling about with my current setup.
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

For me PNP seems to work fine... although right now the news functions dead... but sports news is the same O2 Joggler system...weird!

I really like what it does... very few "old bits"... and opera, Iplayer etc all just seem to work..

standalone system with Squeezeplayer was 100% fine PNP is even better...but I cant code linux...

I'd support what ever...but this is still a viable solution in my books!

Steve
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Feeling a little adventurous back in September, I had a go at modding all the PnP stuff so it installed my customisations onto a clean Joggler. This involved locating all the relevant files from PnP on a Joggler and its online sources, exploring the install files for each app that I wanted and then adding them to the main PnP install file that PnP looks for online when you boot from the PnP stick.

Basically, from a clean Joggler in around 15 minutes (without me doing anything), my custom PnP adds all the stuff I wanted including the SWF Manager, Opera, working Squeezeserver, Squeezeplay with the iPlayer plugins installed and working from the off, a modified control page from the original PnP webserver, the better iPlayer (with close button fixed) and YouTube app, the OP News Reader app, Dilbert, Horoscopes, Google Mail and Maps, an Eggtimer and Stopwatch, modded to have a close button (before I found out about the easier way to add a close button), modified Radio Stations in the stock OS player, the OP Weather app, the OP clock screensaver (as default) and my own icons. I also have a number of scripts in SWF manager to change the news feeds and YouTube tabs for the various Jogglers around the house depending on the user. I recently 'magpied' a couple of lines from the 'prevent Openpeak updates fix' and added them to the install too.

If I can do it then anyone can!!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Offbeatdave,

...... if you can do it then..... you must have some background in linux programming???

I've been looking for the best place to read up on it as it appears to be a very unintuitative programming language.

Congratulations on getting it working as you want it. I'm still struggling with it as documented in other threads.

David
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Jarv_77 wrote:
...... if you can do it then..... you must have some background in linux programming???
Nah, just very handy with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V key combinations in Notepad+ :D
V6ALFISTI

Post by V6ALFISTI »

offbeatdave wrote:
Jarv_77 wrote:
Nah, just very handy with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V key combinations in Notepad+ :D
Can you share your coding by any chance and a little step by step, still trying to update a joggler that I bought from the off and it's now lagging behind and running all the original modified software. Any help much appreciated :D
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

When I'm off work next in a couple of weeks I'll have a go at doing this. I will endeavour to tweak my stuff so that it is slightly more generic and will try and pop the necessary files somewhere. Watch this space!

EDIT: My current reimage/update stuff adds a load of my custom stuff like YouTube tabs, News feeds etc, hence the need to tweak it a little so you aren't reading Coventry and Scunthorpe speedway news! It'll pop all my icons on your Joggler too. Oh, and I've now added icons for Twitter (just fires up Opera on the correct page), Hotmail (just fires up Opera on the correct page) as well as the classic Angry Birds game. I've also now updated to the most recent birdslikewires Squeezeplay (superb as always). Squeezebox server works 'out of the box' too. When i've done, all you need to do is pop a few small files on a USB stick, boot from it and leave it for 15 minutes! Voila - one tricked out original OS.
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Whoop!

PnP MkII !

This would be my preferred choice over the Ubuntu option at the moment. Original interface to leave on for the family to use and Ubuntu for me to tinker with when I have the chance!

David
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Can you post us a link to get this sir!

And thank you...I meant no disrespect!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Will do. It won't be until after the tenth though when i've a week off!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

When I get it sorted it'll look something like this once you've rearranged your icons to suit:

(Pictures updated 2nd February with better quality images!)

The original o2 messaging icon is there as well as my own because Messaging doesn't beep and alert you without the original icon (with it's embedded swf). All apps and games are installed locally on the Joggler.

As noted earlier, all the credit goes elsewhere. I just copied and pasted bits I wanted. Will get to work on it soon for folks...
Last edited by offbeatdave on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.