ICS X86 Source Out!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
belrik

Re: ICS X86 Source Out!

Post by belrik »

If you have a linux system I would recommend using the second method described on the mporting site and creating 3 partitions as I described above. Then just copy the ICS_Joggler_4.0.3_Alpha.zip contents into the first partition.
tangye

Post by tangye »

DaveJoggler wrote:
tangye wrote:OK, I finally got this to boot by doing the following:

- Formatted the USB stick using the HP format utility,
- Unzipped the "Easy_to_use_package_Usbdisk(ICS).zip" first,
- Then unzipped the "ICS_Joggler_4.0.3_Alpha.zip" file second, and over wrote the grub.cfg file.

This way, the grub.cfg file that ended up being on the USB disk was the one from the "ICS_Joggler_4.0.3_Alpha.zip" file.

Funnily enough, the joggler will only boot off the USB stick on every second reboot. Weird....

Anyway, I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for helping me to get this working.
Pretty sure you should be doing the 'Alpha' followed by the 'Easy' zip. The grub from the 'Easy' refers to the img files for the sdcard etc.
That is what I did, from the mijuu instructions. Do you have an sdcard showing in the storage section on ICS?
DaveJoggler - you rock. I unzipped the files in the order you said, and the SD card now shows up. I swear to god last night I tried unzipping the files in the order you said, but it didn't work. The only difference between last night and tonight was that I used the HP format tool tonight to reformat the USB stick, whereas last night I used Bootice.

Anyway, it seems to be working now. Once again thanks to everyone for their help.
tangye

Post by tangye »

belrik wrote:If you have a linux system I would recommend using the second method described on the mporting site and creating 3 partitions as I described above. Then just copy the ICS_Joggler_4.0.3_Alpha.zip contents into the first partition.
Thanks belrik. Out of curiosity I might try this and see if it works.
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

tangye wrote:DaveJoggler - you rock.
At last! :D
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

Does the data usage graph work for anyone? It's one of the ICS features I'm quite looking forward to on my phone.
Not working in this build...yet.
tangye

Post by tangye »

Another stupid question. I can't seem to find the "Shutdown/Reboot" option/button in ICS. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

DaveJoggler wrote:Does the data usage graph work for anyone? It's one of the ICS features I'm quite looking forward to on my phone.
The data usage graph looks like it might just work on mobile networks not home adsl ,not sure about that but it looks like that could be the case .
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

A couple more observations on this build
Ebuyer website loading fine in browser with no crashes so far , this site and a few others crashed the stock 1.2.3 browser .
Wifi tethering to zte san fran working fine (might have allready mentioned that lol)
Unable to get market working so I am side loading via dropbox .also using Aptoide which is pretty good .
Happy Joggling
richonhelp

Post by richonhelp »

Good question- where is the power off button? Unless its just pulling out plug!
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

hawsey wrote:
DaveJoggler wrote:Does the data usage graph work for anyone? It's one of the ICS features I'm quite looking forward to on my phone.
The data usage graph looks like it might just work on mobile networks not home adsl ,not sure about that but it looks like that could be the case .
There is a tab for WiFi, but doesn't show any activity. Probably have to ask Mijuu, and test google translate!
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

tangye wrote:Another stupid question. I can't seem to find the "Shutdown/Reboot" option/button in ICS. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.
Normally from a hardware power button, which we don't have. Mijuu integrated the shutdown menu into the top bar on the old build.
But you should be able to download a shutdown app. used to use one on the early android builds.
spez.uk

Post by spez.uk »

Hi Guys,
itching to try this... but i have failed so far.

All i get is the
Detecting Android-x86........

Am i missing something obvious? :roll:

I have tried both methods of dumping the contents of both zips to a FAT32 stick and also the partitioning method. Both have failed for me so far.

thanks in advance.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

spez.uk wrote:Hi Guys,
itching to try this... but i have failed so far.

All i get is the
Detecting Android-x86........

Am i missing something obvious? :roll:

I have tried both methods of dumping the contents of both zips to a FAT32 stick and also the partitioning method. Both have failed for me so far.

thanks in advance.
Have you tried the steps tangye tried further back in this thread? He had the same issue but got it going after a bit of help.
good luck
Happy Joggling
spez.uk

Post by spez.uk »

hawsey wrote:
Have you tried the steps tangye tried further back in this thread? He had the same issue but got it going after a bit of help.
good luck
Thanks for the quick reply..... the way i got round it was from a comment early about trying the uSB with the 1.2.3 release image... and then all i did was delete the files from root and copy the ICS files across.... and now working.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Good thinking, glad you got it going, now to go have a bit play and see if you can break it lol ;-)
Happy Joggling
deepmenace

Post by deepmenace »

is this actually fully usable at the mo for a bit of browsing and streaming of music from inet radio or something???

im tempted to try but might wait it out for a while longer.

am astonished this is even possible on the joggler. amazing. :shock:
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

Hi,

Just a tip for those still stuck with the SD Card errors (who are using the 3 partition method - not sure about the 1 partition as I didn't use that).

When you boot ICS, go to Settings, Backup & reset, and then click "Factory data reset". On the next screen, tick "Erase SD card" and press "Reset tablet". ICS will wipe itself and reboot. Reopen Settings and go to "Storage", and voila! (hopefully)

Also, under "Developer Options", I've enabled "Force GPU Rendering" as it helps the performance and transitions in my opinion.
tangye

Post by tangye »

Another stupid question. when I go to "settings", "accounts & sync" then click "add account", should there be an option to add a gmail account? The only options I have are "Corporate" and "Email". Thanks.
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

tangye wrote:Another stupid question. when I go to "settings", "accounts & sync" then click "add account", should there be an option to add a gmail account? The only options I have are "Corporate" and "Email". Thanks.
Not as standard - I meant to write up a tutorial for this. Ah well, no time like the present!

Firstly, download this .zip... http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20 ... signed.zip. It contains all of the Google Apps (disclaimer: I do not own these apps and do not claim to own them - they were taken from the CyanogenMod 7 files located here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Latest ... oogle_Apps

Extract it, you should find ~15 apps in there. Take GoogleServicesFramework.apk and com.google.android.gm-2.apk and put them on your Joggler (use something like Dropbox).

When the files are on your Joggler, install GoogleServicesFramework.apk first. This allows for you to login to a Google account. Immediately after installing the apk, install com.google.android.gm-2.apk (Gmail) and reboot. Gmail should be present in the launcher and you should be able to add a Google account under accounts and sync.

Note: The apps in the zip file should all work using this method (installing GoogleServicesFramework.apk first) with the exception of com.amarket.apk (Android Market). It force closes on launch due to it not being located in /system/app - I'm currently trying to find a solution for this. It would be made a lot easier if Superuser.apk worked on Android-x86! :-(
tangye

Post by tangye »

Thanks for the info jazzmista. I'll give it a try and report back my findings.