Looking for kitchen calendar and music player - what's best?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Batz

Looking for kitchen calendar and music player - what's best?

Post by Batz »

I am looking to buy a Joggler so that I can show the family Google calendars on a Joggler in the kitchen. It will need to be easy to use so my wife can easily understand it and importantly type stuff into it. It really needs to show/overlay multiple Google calendars and allow data to be entered/sync'ed from all of them.

Also I want it to act as a music player hooked up to an amp and speakers. Not so bothered about radio but I'd like to be able to quickly pick tracks or albums off a music library on my home LAN. This isn't set up yet and so it could be iTunes or any better suggestions.

If it could show video off the LAN and/or iPlayer etc. and/or be a web browser that would be a bonus but not essential.

Any suggestions on whether the Joggler is up to it? And if so what OS to put on it?

I am also considering one of these el cheapo Chinese tablets might be a better solution e.g. the WM8650. I am not really keen on these due to the dodgy build quality, sluggishness and resistive screen but if it will do the job it might be better as it would also be more portable around the house.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Ian
miccheck1516

Re: Looking for kitchen calendar and music player - what's b

Post by miccheck1516 »

you describe what im trying to acheive just now except for the bedroom. I had it perfect apart from music playback using the 1.2.4 build.

Since i've moved to 1.2.3 now i'm having problems with connectivity and getting calender to sync....

Android will be teh way forward for you bearing in mind squeezeplayer is now available(ish)
Batz

Post by Batz »

I'm not sure what 1.2.4 or 1.2.3 refer to! I am new here!

I suppose I should also add that I am able to hack around with kit easily enough (I've got a Toppy and NSLUg on the LAN) but another requirement would be that I want to ensure that whatever point I get to with the Joggler regarding OS and apps then it must stay stable ongoing and not screw itself up for no good reason.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Ahhh, a slug, that takes me back!

What you need is Android with Squeeze Player - see this post http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=318
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I think android is for you, too. If you think, android does all these things and more on a phone. Should any of you already have an android phone, or plan to get an android phone in the future, there is much less of a learning curve.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
cliche

Post by cliche »

Another vote for android here. I was on the standard image with Tarkin's squeezeplayer added, but since moving to android I haven't looked back. The 1.2.3 android image is great, but to get the market working properly you need to make a few changes (unless dwl99 redoes the image first...) - then download squeezeplayer and a controller (I use the logitech one), any of the calendar apps you want - and go!
Batz

Post by Batz »

OK, I have finally got my Joggler and I have done a bit of research meantime and there is something quite appealing about sticking with the stock O2 OS and installing SqueezePlayer and then having the Joggler sync to a Google Calendar that can sync to all the family members' calendars.

Is this going to work? And if so what's the best way to do the Google Calendar thing? Should I set up a Google account specifically for the Joggler?

I'll probably play with Android etc. at a later date but at the moment I need to win over the missus with the simplicity of the calendar!

Edit: I've just been reading that it is worth doing a full backup while I have a clean Joggler and this is fairly well explained in the Wiki except for 'get a USB stick with Ubuntu' which then goes to a page with lots of Ubuntu options! Which is the easiest and quickest one to follow to get a stick of Ubuntu for backup purposes?