Joggler Ubuntu 14.04.05 EMGD + Kernel 4.4.121

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Joggler Ubuntu 14.04.05 EMGD + Kernel 4.4.121

Post by pete »

Here the ultimate modifications to the OP2 would be a working ZIF SSD which would mount easily inside, Crystal HD card instead of the combo WLAN / Bluetooth card and removing the top USB camera pins replacing it with a standard USB port. Here you could install a USB camera or a small USB WLAN combo Bluetooth stick.

A working microSD slot would also work. I soldered one on and it didn't work. That said my pin connections might be one off.

The tablet stand removes easy enough and would allow the OP2 to hand on a wall like a picture frame with only one small hole for a network connection and POE power splitter connection.

This would allow for a larger base OS or multiboot OS from the SSD and use of Windows via SSD / Seabios. The OP2 does have a bios/clock battery, traces for the microsd card and traces for a SIM card and traces for the ZIF clip.

I started to do this with the open / removed motherboard and then I totally messed up the ZIF clip soldering and while removing the ZIF clip pulled off the clip traces making it unusable.

Current street price of the OP2's are $35 USD which buys you a brick if you do not know anything about it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Why you need this card 720 is fully enought for joggler ? zif ssd also to expensive and exagerating that's why I wanted to use internal flash or worstest scenario internal unsoldered usb. leaving wifi and bluetooth in place. for top pins I didn't use them. for Poe it's interesting but I would simply solder unused ethernet ping to power and supply the power through ethernet connector. (4A 5v I would say a little bit to much but it will work maybe good 6e izolated ethernet cable(FTP)), to bad what I still can't get internal microphone working and the DECT. I think I'll use cemera with mic for security and google assistant for the DECT for now will pause.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I remember some time ago you posted "Comed" pictures does it has DECT software or only energymonitor ?
pete

Post by pete »

Yes all of the Openpeak 2's regardless of telco vendor / energy vendor have the DECT / Zigbee chips in them.

The utility company OP2's all had Zigbee software connecting to thermostat and electric meter plus the option of using a SIM card (traces inside). (IE: WLAN, Gb Ethernet and 3G).

Some guy in Brazil was using the Openpeak's there called Orby's and did fine a development package or tweaking package for VOIP on these devices. I saw only references to the document but never saw the document.

Yes it is not so much the 720 stuff rather it is live TV or HD IP camera streaming use for 1080.

POE on my OP1's and OP2's are just using standard POE splitters with 5VDC. Started initially with the TP-Link splitters here. Nothing internal on the OPs.

8-16 Gb SSD ZIF cards are reasonably priced these days. The ZIF cables I purchased were bulk purchased at a $1 for 5 or so.

Issue with running on the internal eMMC and that they wear down.

Here did a bulk purchase of Logitech USB web cams that work fine with the OP1 and OP2 running Linux and Skype.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Skype as I know is no more supported on i386 ? I also heared about Orby but never saw any doc or software.
pete

Post by pete »

Skype still works fine here on my Ubuntu 32 bit test OP1 computer just fine. Here a while back was going to dedicate an OP1 just for Skype communications. That was the reason for the bulk purchase of the Logitech cams.

I was looking for something smaller though as the Logitech USB cameras look too big on top of the OP1's. They look nice on the OP2's.

This and using the small flat USB hub on the back of the OP1 with a USB 2.0 connection to the Openpeak motherboard rather than using the side USB port.

Well that and giving all the family their own Skype terminals.

For Christmas here did Skype over to the EU calls with family using the Skype installed on the main LCD TV Kodi box. Worked great.
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Can you please tell skype version because 4.3 that I was installing is crashing.
pete

Post by pete »

Ah...did a google search and noticed that Skype is no longer available for 32bit Linux....so my testing was a couple of years back....

Found ghetto Skype over here ==> https://github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype

Will download it and give it a try...

Jog-UB-01:/tmp# dpkg --install ghetto-skype_1.6.0_i386.deb
Selecting previously unselected package ghetto-skype.
(Reading database ... 296395 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ghetto-skype_1.6.0_i386.deb ...
Unpacking ghetto-skype (1.6.0) ...
Setting up ghetto-skype (1.6.0) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Interesting but doesn't support video calls.
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah after I installed it noticed that and installed the recommended extra stuff and it didn't work anyhow.

The whole video skype OP stuff was supposed to be a Christmas present to family and relatives a few years back.

Not sure how well google talk would work...
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Installed Pidgin and a Skype plugin.

https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgi ... r/skypeweb

Looks to be working. Here is an RDP session.
pidgeonskype.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

No Audio and Video.
rbshep

Post by rbshep »

This is a great OS release - unlike the Buzz! build, i can get Kodi 17.6 running on it by adding their PPA :) And anyone who downloads it can just run fsck on the image before writing it.

However, the main issue for me is that the screen is on all the time and doesn't power down, also i have to manually use alsa-mixer on boot to set the output device.

Also, as Poulsbo EMGD drivers are available for 16.04 Xenial, and 16.04 also uses a 4.4 series kernel natively, would it be possible to re-base your image on this OS release - this would allow a few more years of support (and newer versions of Kodi as they build them). I am aware this would require kernel headers or source.

I'm an experienced Linux user, but am out of my depth here. How did you get the build to be so small?? I've experimented with a VM, install from the netboot iso, installing from the server iso, using an existing system and debootstrap / and chrooting - but any time i try to add required packages for Xorg etc. the space required inflates considerably :( The dkms, dev, and compiler packages also take up much room too :(

Also attempting to build your kernel into a deb using dpkg-repack failed due to unavailability of a kernel source package - this was the main roadblock i had to producing a working system. I guess i could just 'cheat' and copy the kernel image and modules directory though this wouldn't help with compiling the wifi driver
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi,
All credits should go to roobarb!, he made the script to debootstrap and prepair image for Joggler and also prebuild kernel without GMA I simply installed the packages.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

How would I add wireless and Ubuntu software centre to this build please ? Also
It boots up great when plugged straight in to the Joggler but fails with usb hub .

Great work by the way , thank you :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling