Spotty plugin problem with squeezeplay os

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mj4586

Spotty plugin problem with squeezeplay os

Post by mj4586 »

I'm using Spotty 2.1.1 on a Joggler with LMS 7.7.3 and it's working well when I select 160kbs but if I try 320kbs the tracks always stop around 20 seconds before the end and restart at the beginning. Has anyone come across this problem before and if so is there a solution. I don't think I can update the LMS within the squeezebox OS, although I'm not sure. I'm using squeezplay OS version 2 so that I can run LMS on the internal memory.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Man in a van

Re: Spotty plugin problem with squeezeplay os

Post by Man in a van »

Are you selecting the bit rate on the Joggler?

As far as I am aware the default bit rate is 320 and one has to be a Premium subscriber?

Ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

It is possible to update LMS but space constraints on the internal ram make it difficult.

It is necessary to do either a fresh install of the SqueezePlay OS and then install LMS via Putty on the command line.

It might be possible to purge Logitechmediaserver via the command line and then reinstall an up to date version of LMS.

Or you could just install the Squeezeplay OS on a USB stick and then, again using Putty, download and install the latest LMS nightly.

This approach would make keeping up to date much easier and would leave your original "Internal" install unmolested.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

If you want to easily upgrade, I would suggest Squeezeplay OS v3.03 on a USB flash Drive.

Some linux skills are required, but nothing daunting and it is mostly copy and paste.

So I would suggest, first obtain a usb2 stick (I have always found these to be better than usb3) 8gb is enough and I would select a reputable brand.

The last ones I bought where from here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Ultr ... B00GSIFO68

If you want to go usb3 this model has worked for me in the past

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Techn ... J8M1PQFG1J

ronnie
mj4586

Post by mj4586 »

Thanks Man in a van, I'm selecting the bitrate in web interface of LMS Spotty plugin settings. I do have a premium account. It does work a bit but the track always restarts about 20 seconds (varies from 15-30 seconds) When I switch to 160 kbs it works fine. I know it's not a big problem, just annoying as I've modded the joggler with spdif output to my hifi amp and prefer the higher bitrate. I don't know if the limitation of the memory space is creating the problem due to the higher file sizes with 320kbs. I might have to follow your advice and switch the OS to a USB stick as you suggested. Thanks.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Ah, you say "modded".

Have you done the internal spdif soldering mod or are you using a spdif/usb convertor?

When I have used the latter I had to install Triode's EDO plugin on the Joggler and that required LMS to be installed.

I can't remember if there was enough room on the RAM for all that is required, but I eventually put everything on a usb stick.

There is a thread, or maybe two, from me about this somewhere.

Unfortunately I cancelled my Spotify subscription just the other day, as I didn't seem to be using it much.

I don't remember any playback errors as you describe them, perhaps others might chime in.

If you need any help doing a fresh install, just ask here, I'm assuming you are UK based?

Ronnie

Edit, many of the latter problems with Spotty and Radio Paradise have been resolved by people upgrading to "the latest and greatest".
mj4586

Post by mj4586 »

It's a soldered mod, the hardest part was cutting a neat square hole for the socket. I'm planning to get another joggler for my setup so may wait and experiment with that so I can keep using the existing setup.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

OK.
Maybe consider a raspberry pi3b to run LMS. That way you could install Squeezeplay v3.03 on your current Joggler just as a player and controller.

It's simple to install LMS on a pi using the piCorePlayer OS and when convenient, a daughter board (dac or spdif hat can be added).

Jogglers are great fun but the Squeezeplay OS badly needs updating; with a raspberry pi running the LMS you are much better off, a lot of Joggler owners over on the SlimDevices forum utilise this method of operation (and one learns quite a bit, which is always a bonus ;).

Keep us posted on your progress.

Ronnie.