**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: **BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)

Post by pete »

mickchip,

Neat stuff! I've installed Mevi's XP now on a few SATA=>ZIF drive'd Jogglers and it is doing well. How do you remove the USBoot text stuff. I tried here removing USBoot services and had no luck removing the booting text; kept sticking around.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I think USBoot is all listed in add/remove programs. From memory, there are 3 different programs and/or services.

Great seeing it used so much. Chuffed!
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mevi! What is "chuffed"?

Yup removal here of USBoot caused a BSOD on reboot. Doing another seabios/coreboot Joggler in the next week. Will go slow initially testing an external SSD boot via USB to ZIF drive first; baby steps to see why I am getting the BSOD.

Not sure why the BSOD; just restored it for the time being.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

After I typed that, I kinda wondered if you'd know the word, Pete! Being chuffed is being pretty happy about something.

USBoot on my build, I edited one of the .exe or .dll files to remove a boot graphic that appears mid way through the XP boot. The text you describe, is that the couple of lines that you see once switching back to the original XP bootloader?

I have never had the need to remove USBoot as I'm always on a removable drive, so I cant add any anecdotal info. Aside from the USB booting, the other functions of USBoot are to make the drive portable and be able to work on other machines. There's the function of removing drivers for hardware that's no longer there, I think. The other thing the services do is to monitor certain things that, should they be changed by some process and break the USBoot, it changes them back. I remember that one of the things is to move the USBdriver to the beginning of the boot. What those other things are, you might get from the USBoot.org website.

pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mevi; yup; I am I an information highway news sabbatical lately.

Actually you and Dan made western world news with your XP stuff; you are famous.

Now almost to the point of not even googling any stuff lately; really bad.
The text you describe, is that the couple of lines that you see once switching back to the original XP bootloader?
Yes.

Its not really an issue Mevi. I was just wondering which exe or dll you edited and if you would post that specific DLL/EXE?

The Jogglers in "production" are using the ZIF SSD drives and being left alone at this time (now 2 in the MB and 1 regular one). I have been testing though still with USB sticks other stuff on same or different builds of my Jogglers. The openframe 2 boxes I just tested with external USB devices and it worked well.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

If you are after the original dll or exe, I will have to dig around on my external HDD for that and post it another day (possibly Friday, as I am away with the kids and that will be when I get home). I will have the original backed up. The build 3 backups on the HDD are the only Joggler things I have close-ish to hand. I think I remember the one I edited had a name starting UBS instead of USB like the other files... It was just a boot graphic that I removed (I hoped to be able to replace it with something Jogglery, but that wasn't displaying for reasons unknown by me). If you watch one of Dan's builds boot, you will see that USBoot logo fade in and out.

Using either the unedited or edited versions of that dll, USBoot will still display those lines of text. The USBoot forum has a lot of requests for a method to remove the text, but the author had refused them all when I last visited.

pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mevi!

I found the file in question. You did save a back up of the modified one. Its the ubsvcgd.sys file. Attached is your file with graphic.

I would prefer to keep your original graphic. For whatever reason there is a 30-40 kb difference in the two files and I wonder if original author is doing some sort of crc thing to keep the original graphic.

I did also find an O2 Joggler boot screen with a mixture of graphics on the top. That said when the text comes up it washes away somewhat with the graphics and you do not see the text.
Attachments
o2.jpg
SG.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Mevi are you still around !!
I have been trying to get xp again lost every thing on backup drive :twisted: :twisted:
Any way i can see all the file's on minus go to to download and it say's unable to connect. i am using firefox
Has any one else got the xp img i could get some how :) :)
Many Thanks
Andrew
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I get email notifications when anyone posts on this thread! 15 minute response time this evening. How's that for customer service. :D :D

Andrew, the min.us service either works just fine or has this hiccup where the files are unreachable for a day. I keep meaning to switch elsewhere, but I'm stuck on 3G for the time being so it's something i need to plan time at the library for. Not to worry though, I think I have a plan. For now, check for a PM shortly.

Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Cheer's Mevi
15 min response time if only every one was that quick :lol: :lol:
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I can't guarantee such a quick response every time ;)

I will edit post #1 with file mirrors once I have uploaded to one or more extra file hosts that are:

Free
Reliable
Files don't expire and won't require re-upload
Doesn't impose a download limit
Doesn't force users to wait in a queue or throttle download speeds.

Min.us was a suggestion on here, I think. Does anyone know of others I might like to investigate?

pete

Post by pete »

Mevi,

I am currently using your build minus the EFI stuff and USBoot on like 7 Seabios'd Jogglers with either USB SSD sticks or just SSD ZIF drives. They are working perfectly. The quick and dirty of it was that I just imaged one to another copy and all boot up fine until now....working on #8 and #9 Seabios'd Joggler.

I'm running into an issue with USBoot in that when the second stage boots (arcguard) it appears to shut down the USB ports and quits booting. Every once in a while though it will boot.

I can take the USB Stick to another computer and it boots fine. I also using another computer set up removed USBoot 2.11 and updated it to USBoot 2.14. It boots up fine on the "other" computer. When I put it into the Joggler it starts and then just shuts off the USB ports (leds go off).

Do you have any ideas why it appears to be shutting down the USB ports?

Just know I did a check disk after it booted up the first time. It ran fine and rebooted into XP. I shut down the Joggler, pulled the plug and rebooted and all is fine. I'm pretty sure that USBoot isn't playing with the MBR at all.

I do notice that the USB SSD boots about as fast as the ZIF PATA SSD drive and I have a few extras of these.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Hi pete,

So is this just one particular Joggler/USB combo or are all the SeaBIOS Jogglers having this same problem with the USB ports. I didn't see that problem with the Jogglers I tested XP with on SeaBIOS, but I never had them running 24/7 or daily.. My full-time Jogglers kept the EFI as they were already set up before Inaxeon's BIOS and I was mostly trying to make progress with W7 & W8.

I don't know why the USB ports would get shut off. Aside from the BIOS vs EFI and the NTLDR/NTDETECT/VGA.SYS differences, i don't know what else might be different about your setup.

Were these disk images created on a PATA booting Joggler and then imaged to USB booting Jogglers. I don't know if that might cause a problem as i would expect USBoot to keep doing it's thing regardless of boot device.

I used USBoot 2.11 all the way through, and checking the USBoot site, the MBR is not being touched from 2.10.

I'm waiting for my password reminder for USBoot.org to arrive so I can browse the forum.... Drive guard, service guard, device guard names seem quite self explanatory, but I just can't remember what arcguard does.

RE-EDIT-EDIT: seems to be part of phase II which among other things sets drivers and sets up the disk driver with PAGEFILE and to add EWF if desired (I left that out) it's a multi language site and I only speak English unless I am ordering a beer overseas? I need a more refreshed mind than I have tonight. :D

pete

Post by pete »

Hello mevi,

Thank you.

Yup; this one is different but similiar as the rest of them.

I have been mostly using the PATA ZIF SSD 16Gb card to boot up into XP (your image) and that has been fine. No issues.

I was testing repurposing the USB SSD sticks that I have. I have one booting just fine with USBoot 2.11. Cold boots every time just fine.

I imaged that USB SSD stick to another same sized USB SSD. It boots once in a while. It seems to be shutting down the power to the USB around the arcguard boot state.

So I went back and redid the USBoot to 2.12 (registered it - started from scratch). It runs fine in test mode; booting and rebooting on another machine. When I use it on the Joggler it does the USB shutdown thing for whatever reasons. Some wierd driver thing or boot order of something.

The scenario basically is to non invasively (no hardware modifications) with only the Coreboot bios running have a booting XP Joggler.

Next test today is doing the same with the OpenPeak telephone/energy hub device.

It boots the EFI BIOS XP but has some issues with the hardware that is built into the device.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Has that stick worked with other images? Might it be another stick on it's way out? I know it's a silly question, but I'm afraid I don't have many better suggestions right now. Another late evening. :-/

As it boots on a different PC, I'm inclined to think it's unlikely the stick and more a driver or device problem... Or, is the stick not getting enough juice from the Joggler? Hmmm. Eyelids feeling heavy! :D

The telephone Openpeak... If you haven't already tried it, might adding drivers.cab to the boot disk help at all? I never foresaw uses beyond the original Joggler, so I only kept in the essential drivers to keep the final image size manageable. Drivers.cab is downloadable on post #1 if Min.us is working now (or extracted from an SP3 install DVD which should be identical).

If I can get the HW ID of my problem devices, I put that into Google and it at least gets me in the right ballpark.

bungalowbill

Post by bungalowbill »

Are there any alternative download links, as the ones in the first post are down? Been trying for a couple of days having just acquired a Joggler from eBay and fancy a go at XP!

Bill.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mevi.

Yeah I thinking that its a combo of too much Juice being utilized by the USB SSD stick now or something with the Jogglers power stuff. I started from scratch on a new build and installed USBoot 2.14. Its starts booting just fine then it shuts off (literally) the USB ports (notice this on my USB hub).

Testing the build on a generic box and it works fine. Plug it into the Joggler and it shuts down. I have a mix of coreboot Jogglers and have exactly the same set up on a couple of other Jogglers and they cold boot and reboot just fine every time; which doesn't make sense to me. I too am thinking its some device driver.

Yeah; there are more hardware pieces to the Telephone and Utility hub; the original Joggler O2 like OS did have widgets and drivers for these other devices. One in particular is what appears to be a combo Wireless N and Bluetooth device; propietary and almost beta like piece of hardware.

I've noticed that many of the sites out there in internetlandia are stifling the sizes of the files lately. I can put the last builds maybe on Hotfile in little pieces; not sure though how long they will stay up though.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Goofing around yesterday found that my build boots fine off the side USB port every time.

That said an externally mounted USB to NIC gets resources issues when using the soldered on internal USB port but not the internal or external port.

I have 1 Joggler booting fine from the internally soldered USB port using a USB to ZIF device. All of the ZIF PATA port SSD booting Jogglers work fine.

None of this makes any sense to me.

I do remember a while back trying to do an EFI boot from the soldered on USB port and found it only to work OK with a hub attached.

I am picking the power off the external USB port for the soldered on USB port and now wondering if I should look somewhere else for the USB power for that specific port.

The direction here is to have two internal USB ports and not utilize the external port for anything unless I need to plug in a keyboard and mouse.

Also looking to solder an optical audio port inside on the motherboard; which I think is possible?
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Picking up power from the internal port didn't work for me, but YMMV. My soldering sucks. :D

I have suspected the powering to the external port is a bit dodgy since I managed to almost power up a Joggler from a HDD powered from an iPad USB charger.

The optical does work, I remember the pins on the sound chip to tap into are detailed on a dedicated thread in HW. I did have a couple of optical connectors left over from an old Shuttle SFF, but I mailed them to someone on the forum.

inzimam

Post by inzimam »

Guys

I'm finally getting around to putting xp onto the joggler. I'm currently at work but aim to start to download the file tonight, is the latest build still in the first post of should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, is it possible to remote into the joggler on this build (RDP as opposed to VNC. I have just bought an Asus vivo tab tf810 and the Windows 8 remote desktop app is pretty good, so i'd really like to use that instead of VNC. Also, I know you can VNC at a higher resolution as the joggler display to hide the screen, but I just think RDP is more convenient.

My proposed setup:

Joggler running XP with a USB (unpowered) hub. XP on an 8gb memory stick,
an additional 1TB USB (unpowered) HDD.
Ethernet connection (I gather from reading this thread that this is now working?)

Required for:
Constantly on NAS type server hosting movies, photos and music.
Torrent download program
RDP into the device to setup torrents even when not home
Clock screen saver (I understand this is included in the build)
Digital photo frame (I dont know what the best option is for this?)
Ability to turn screen off (I understand there is a plugin/ application that can do this
Logitech Squeezebox sever
Logitech Squeeze player - is it possible to run a squeezebox client on the same system that looks like android/ joggler OS version?
USB soundcard - connection to 5.1 surround system (I need to look into this in terms of turning off internal speakers - is it possible in XP?)