**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: **BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)

Post by pete »

Mevi,

I've been using your XP build now on the Openframe branded Jogglers and Openframe 2 devices and it works well.

This is relating though to using your build with coreboot/seabios.

I also have running PnP2 based Jogglers and XBMC and Squeezebox player based Openframe devices (both joggler and Openpeak2).

I have left the linux stuff running with the original EFI boot and the XP stuff with the coreboot/seabios boot.

On the XP side of things I have no issues right now with sound and video and networking with the Openpeak branded Jogglers. These are unique hardware devices with DECT chips in them.

On the Openframe 2 devices I did find xp drivers for the BCM combo bluetooth and wireless pcie card and they are working well wirelessly connected. These include a "USB" driver for the DECT chip which really isn't utilized. The problem I am encountering though is the audio. It works well with XBMC/linux efi but for whatever reason I am having issues getting the audio chip working / drivers for XP. It is similiar but different than the Joggler sigmatel audio chip and the Openpeak Joggler sigmatel audio chip.

Using SisSandra this is what I see that it has...
Attachments
pic-5.jpg
pic-4.jpg
pic-3.jpg
pic-2.jpg
pic-1.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; got the audio working. Not sure what I did though to get it to work. I cannot remove the Sigmatel drivers but I was able to install over the old ones and from one boot to the next they worked. I have noticed that the Openframe 2 devices are faster than the O2 Jogglers and the Openpeak labled Jogglers. Somewhere though there I have some IDT drivers that got put into place and I was able to remove those.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inzimam

Post by inzimam »

Guys, mevi in particular, thank you very much for all your effort, help and advice.

I have my joggler up and running with Windows XP connected via ethernet, with a external USB hard drive. I have it sharing folders which I have mounted on my tablet and home pc. I also have these folder shares mounted in my WD TV which I've also connected via ethernet.

I am able to connect using VNC and uTorrent remote to download and move files around very easily. So far the uptime is 4 days without issue.

This has basically given me a NAS setup. I am able to watch full HD movies on my network (tv through WDTV and tablet via network share) with little issue.

What I still need to do (any advice would be much appreciated):

1) I want to setup a squeezeplayer on my other joggler (android). I think I need to install squeezeplayer server on my XP joggler as it looks like only a player is installed as default. Can have the squeezeplayer server and player running on the XP joggler?

2) Should I do any Windows Updates?
3) USB external sound card to connect to surround sound system. Do definitely need a powered USB hub for this? Currently my external HD is on non-powered hub.
4) What is the best way to take a back-up image of the joggler?
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Hi Inzimam,

I'm just drinking coffee before I leave for work, so I'll quickly answer the questions I can. :)

One forum member solved the problem of running squeeze server on this build of XP. From memory, it installs but craps out as soon as you try to launch it and doesn't give a useful crash report. I think the cure is a fresh install of Java, but if you search this thread for keywords like squeezebox and java, that should provide the answer for you.

Is XP running on the same HDD as your media? If you plan to make a backup image, I suppose keeping the media on a separate partition and then just cloning the EFI & windows partition? Someone might also be able to confirm that something as simple as an xcopy of the whole of c: to a new folder would do the trick... Not needing the original XP bootloader saves the day here.

A USB sound card on this XP should be fine, but when installing you will likely be prompted for some windows driver DLLs which again I have zipped and posted on this thread if you don't have the drivers.cab file on your HDD.

Windows updates work, but I can't confirm whether it will cause problems as I only did them up to a certain date and my Jogglers have been in storage for months.

Any android questions you'll need to ask on an android thread or a new thread.

Good luck, cheers.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Hi Pete, sorry I missed your posts about the openframe. Maybe the soundchip is used differently (correctly?) in the openframe and so doesn't need the 'patched' drivers we use for the Joggler (Linux and XP).

Suppose that would explain why installing new drivers over the top cured the missing audio.

pete

Post by pete »

Someone might also be able to confirm that something as simple as an xcopy of the whole of c: to a new folder would do the trick
I have done that and it has worked.

To restore I would create a new two partition drive on new stick using Linux GParted or Minitools partition manger (one fat32 (250Mb) and the other NTFS (rest of drive)). I then would copy over all of the files (EFI to one partition and NTFS XP files to the other), then set the boot flag on the EFI partition. Another application that I used in vivo for drive backup to the LAN NAS was Drive Snapshot. You can read and write the partitions to a USB stick using another MS computer. You still need to write the boot flag to the EFI partition after doing this. 3rd way is to just image the drive using a USB image program and write it back to another stick (note that the stick has to be the same size or smaller when doing this).

Here I use one of those cheapy USB soundcards ($5 Ebay special?) both in XP and Linux SB and they work just fine. For XP radio streaming I customized a screen (clock radio like) that just has 4 radio buttons (4 stations) and use the command line VLC methodology to stream; simple and it works for what I need it to do or XBMC or SBP.

Personally here have never done an MS update on any of the XP Jogglers.

I do now remote control them from the "mothership"; screensavers, dimming and shutting off screens et al.

I did similiar with a Patriot Box Office NMT; except I also added a little 2.5" SATA drive in them and chrooted them tweaking them out a bit; but lately have switched over to using XBMC mini pcs (similiar in size to the WD boxes).
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mevi. Yup the Openframe 2 boxes are totally different and a bit faster than the O2 Jogglers.

Aside from the sound stuff, it has a battery backed up clock and a Realtek NIC (different one) with a MAC address that boots up every time. And a combo Bluetooth Wireless mini PCiE card that has better throughput than the wireless USB stick in the Joggler. I am currently testing two of these on line wirelessly and have not seen them drop from the wireless network yet. That and I have these two booting from the USB sticks just fine in XP or Linux mode.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I've been following your openframe thread with interest. Looks a great piece of kit, aside from the opening tool. :D

pete

Post by pete »

Yeah the case of the opened Openframe 2 looks like it was chewed up by some wild dog; so its pretty useless. I found the tabs after using wire tin snips on the back on the case.

That and the case plastic perforated parts were covered with some metal shielding. This was one Openframe 2 that didn't work or power up. I found a little tiny fuse on it. Fixed it sort of and it boots fine now.

Calling it the Openframe 2 "skeletor" version.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Playing around with the OpenPeak labled "Jogglers" I have been able to wipe out all of the Realtek network drivers, remove the USBoot stuff, reinstall the Realtek drivers from scratch and they now appear to work and boot up everytime. The NIC is different on these as it does have a MAC address. These are the devices with the Zigbee chips inside of them.

This is utilizing the coreboot bios and PATA drive (USBoot stuff not really needed). Boots and reboots quickly. This works for me as I have been adding an additional USB port inside and using a wired to the inside USB ASIX network USB device.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

These Openpeak devices really ARE the ones to have. :)

pete

Post by pete »

Wierd though the mac address vendor lookup is Tatung.

Testing to see what comes up with another Openpeak labeled Joggler with the same working image.

I use some tools to check on the networking devices which look up the mac address of whatever device comes up on the network and it didn't make sense to me to see this mac/vendor address coming up. Then I utilized the Realtek diagnostics program and the same mac is seen on the NIC.

Opening up OpenPeak logo'd box #2 shows a different motherboard. I wonder now if there was two directions with these boxes as with the larger devices. This one is a DECT phone hub as it has the additional USB sound pieces on it.

Geez; never paid too much attention to this stuff. I am opening another box #3 now and that one is similiar to the first one I started to really look at.

Confused here seeing same motherboards / chips but not all of the same devices; like they are disconnected or something. IE: One has a DECT chip with two antenna terminals on it. I don't see it though via software and another with a DECT chip and a soldered antenna the motherboard and I see this one via software. My little workbench lately is just pieces of jogglers looking at them now with my magnifying (Illuminated loop).
- Pete

Auto mater
danb79

Post by danb79 »

motoko wrote:Its the same adaptor used on the PC to write the image.

I had to use a hub to get anything on screen, this is how far it got before it went into the O2 OS:
photo.JPG
can anyone help me? im having the same problem trying to boot from the internal wifi usb socket and my hardwired internal usb hub (it is wired to the side usb and that socket to the hub, big mess!!). I cant use port 4 on the hub as i currently don't have a soldering iron to attach a socket.
squeezeplay os boots fine on the interrnal usb

scratch that!! got it to boot sort of, now its getting to system32\drivers\mup.sys and hangs?
pete

Post by pete »

Best booting to XP was either using the side USB port or the internal one directly with no hub.

Booting maybe two of them today with Seabios via an internally soldered USB port and a USB to NIC on the WLAN USB port.

I will give an EFI boot a try with the internally soldered USB port. (I don't recall it working for me a while ago). I also added a second wired USB port inside of the Joggler and had the same issues and the primary wired port.

Personally and related to XP I would give the Seabios boot a try. It does work a bit better with any of the USB ports and even hubs just fine using the USBoot stuff. You can undo the changes quickly as the seabios boot gives you a bios option to reload a new bios (so you can put the old one back into place). Just create an image with Mevi's XP image and remove the EFI boot partition and other stuff relating to the EFI boot on the NTFS partition.
- Pete

Auto mater
RichardG867

Post by RichardG867 »

Hey there,

Sorry to interrupt, but I actually came across this forum looking for some information on USBoot. I originally had no idea on what a Joggler would be, but looking it up brought me the answer. I asked myself hey, why not answer a question a lot of people using this build may have. (originally asked by Pete on page 37)

You can disable the USBoot boot messages by using a hex editor to change both byte $6F78 on ubdrvgd.sys and $15D8A on ubarcgd.sys from 0x75 to 0x74. Both files should be on \WINDOWS\system32\drivers. That assumes the USBoot used is the latest version (2.14), which I think not because of this build's age.

I spent hours using WinDbg and IDA trying to figure that out myself! Hope that is of any use.
pete

Post by pete »

Great news Richard relating to disabling the USBoot boot message!

Here I have redone my XP builds for the Joggler without USBoot/EFI using the SSD ZIF to PATA drive stuff.

Started from scratch a bit, then adding the MS Tablet stuff and all of the same great tools that Mevi included.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

RichardG867 wrote:Hey there,

Sorry to interrupt, but I actually came across this forum looking for some information on USBoot. I originally had no idea on what a Joggler would be, but looking it up brought me the answer. I asked myself hey, why not answer a question a lot of people using this build may have. (originally asked by Pete on page 37)

You can disable the USBoot boot messages by using a hex editor to change both byte $6F78 on ubdrvgd.sys and $15D8A on ubarcgd.sys from 0x75 to 0x74. Both files should be on \WINDOWS\system32\drivers. That assumes the USBoot used is the latest version (2.14), which I think not because of this build's age.

I spent hours using WinDbg and IDA trying to figure that out myself! Hope that is of any use.
I have never been able to get later versions of usboot to work on the joggler, not sure why.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Welcome back Dan! Congratulations are in order eh; married eh?
- Pete

Auto mater
MLBath

Post by MLBath »

Would quite like to try XP on my joggler, as Unix builds have been a nightmare to get file and printer sharing working seamlessly on our network.

This looks like a good place to start, but the links in the first post seem broken. Mirror 1 doesn't lead anywhere and Mirror 2 leads to a file sharing site that I seem unable to download anything from (have tried with IE and Chrome browsers).

Is it just me?
Is there anywhere else to get this XP build (or is there a more updated one than this?

Sorry for all the questions.

Mark.
pete

Post by pete »

You are at a good place to start.

Yesterday here helped a neighbor in their business with a "few" laptops wirelessly connected to their wirelessly connected printer and noticed that the laptop couldn't connect unless I woke up the printer.

These were all Windows 8 laptops.

I do not think that Intel yet has been able to invent a wireless WOL device; but they are trying (well now for many years). Maybe I am wrong with this assumption though.

The EFI XP USB build does work but is reliant on EFI modifications to XP and USB booting. I use XP with a PATA connected SSD drive.

The EFI/USB/Coreboot build doesn't work with the integrated Realtek NIC chip; never did. It does work with the integrated wireless device.

How are you using the Jogglers (Wired or Wireless)?
- Pete

Auto mater