**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: RELEASE - Windows XP Professional SP3

Post by pete »

Wow; this is great information. So we are already to a multiboot Joggler. I am getting Joggler #4 soon and I want to leave that one on my desk for just testing applications running in Ubuntu, Android and XP. Actually the application is the same or similiar in function.

OK so we now know that

1 - the external USB port has priority over the internal one - Thanks Mevi!!! I've left two of the Jogglers with the WLAN cards inside.
2 - multiboot EFI with keyboard control has already been configured and works - Thanks mickchip!!!

I have tested my little slim portable DVD Blue Ray drive connected to the Joggler. It is recognized and works fine. I never had the means nor have tried to boot from it though on the Joggler. I'm surprised that a mini blueray disk (like a mini CDRom disk) player hasn't been built / sold yet?

So then instead of separate usb sticks; having one say 32Gb USB SSD with autonomous partitions; IE: android, Linux and Wintel?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I don't think the Joggler EFI supports booting off a ISO disk, but should if it's burned as a FAT disk.

I can include multi boot on the next xpsp3 if there's enough demand for it and if Mick doesn't mind talking us through the process. I personally have no need for it, but it's all about the community! Ha!

I swapped the EFI chips and the problem Joggler booted, but still with the NIC error (10) and even tried swapping the WLAN sticks over and still no change. The problem Joggler is still the problem Joggler.
Last edited by Mevi on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Board firmware and software is reported the same within the Stock OS. The only differences I know are that the good Joggler has had the OS front end replaced with the Open Peak one, Telnet support and PNP installed. I didn't imagine any of that making a difference so I reflashed the good Joggler with the same O2 image using the same stick I had prepared for the problem Joggler.

The good Joggler is still good. The problem Joggler is still a pain in the ass. :D

pete

Post by pete »

Now totally stoked!

So the PITA Joggler is the one with the NIC problems only eh Mevi?

Yes multiboot would create the ultimate "testing" Joggler Mevi! I am not sure though how many other forum users would be interested though.

What is the Open Peak front end versus the Joggler O2 front end difference?

I had "heard" / read that there was a version of the Joggler which wasn't easy to update and not worth purchasing. I didn't understand though.

So maybe the NIC issue can be fixed maybe an EFI way relating to the way it boots?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I'm not convinced that an EFI change will fix that problem Joggler NIC. :(

The Open Peak front end has all the same functionality as the O2, just the icons and their placement is different - O2 specific icons still the neon ones. The Core OS is no different.

manxam

Post by manxam »

Still awaiting my Jogglers via Royal Mail Pack Mule service..

Does rEFIt not work on the Joggler's touch screen? I know that GRUB requires a keyboard but thought that rEFIt works on touch screens (I had a Lenovo tablet that booted to XP Tablet edition via EFI and I could use the touch screen to access rEFIt so that I could boot FreeBSD)

Also, the EEE PC T91 was a Z520 touch screen device using EFI and running XP. I wonder if their EFI files would help with the warm/cold boot problems. There was also the PC T91T which was the same device running Win 7 EFI 32 bit. I wonder if that could help getting Win 7 on the device.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Mevi

I went back some posts to find out about your PITA Joggler. Didn't understand some.
I've had both my Jogglers apart and nothing looks different chip-wise - I reflashed the problem Joggler following Birds Like Wires' procedure (easy) and still the Error 10 error. I know the HW works as the NIC works in the factory OS and Buzz's Ubuntu. Next time I get a clear run of a few hours work, I'll swap the EFI chips and see if the NIC problem follows the EFI chip or stays with the problem Joggler. The chips lift out easily from the socket - now where did I put my static wrist strap?
What is the "Error 10 error"?

So you have one of two Jogglers that will not internal NIC boot using Wintel no matter what you do? or what EFI you boot from? And boots fine using internal NIC with O2 and Linux OS's?

You swapped out the EFI chip and it still didn't boot with Wintel?

There is a diagnostic Realtek application which tells you a bit more about the chipset on the Realtek.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Manxam,

Interesting you mention the Asus. I have a little 9XX Asus running Linux off its SD card and XP off its SSD card. I did test W7 starter on it way back when I first got it. I really never paid attention though how I got it to run.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

manxam wrote:Still awaiting my Jogglers via Royal Mail Pack Mule service..

Does rEFIt not work on the Joggler's touch screen? I know that GRUB requires a keyboard but thought that rEFIt works on touch screens (I had a Lenovo tablet that booted to XP Tablet edition via EFI and I could use the touch screen to access rEFIt so that I could boot FreeBSD)

Also, the EEE PC T91 was a Z520 touch screen device using EFI and running XP. I wonder if their EFI files would help with the warm/cold boot problems. There was also the PC T91T which was the same device running Win 7 EFI 32 bit. I wonder if that could help getting Win 7 on the device.
Well the cold/warm boot problems are kind of workable by chosing one of two EFI setups depending on whether you want a hub or not, or don't mind juggling cables a bit.

I'm intrigued by those EFI devices booting XP. I wonder, so you have access to the boot EFI from those machines?

It might already be common knowledge on the forum, but Eric's XP on Joggler (XOJ) is based on XP on Mac. There are some major differences in that XOM and the XP patches were integrated into an installation CD.

pete

Post by pete »

Here is the Realtek Diagnostic info Mevi.

Its really the HW IDs stuff that is important. Is your similiar between the two Jogglers?
Attachments
General.jpg
General.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
Driver.jpg
Driver.jpg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

pete_c wrote:You swapped out the EFI chip and it still didn't boot with Wintel?

There is a diagnostic Realtek application which tells you a bit more about the chipset on the Realtek.
I'll have a look for that app.

I've been banging on about this problem joggler for ages, so no surprise I've left anyone lost! :D

Problem Joggler - NIC device does not start with an Error 10 in the device properties. Device has an exclamation mark against it. Reading up on this error on this Realtek chipset, seems to point to a BIOS update to cure it - hence looking in the EFI for a resolution.

Good Joggler - 1st one I bought, works fine, no NIC problems. It's the one I used for my build.

I've swapped chips and WLAN between Jogglers which made no difference whatsoever. The HW ID is the same on both Jogglers. :?:

pete

Post by pete »

Mevi,

Yeah I never understood what you meant. I used to get the exclamation mark for the Realtek NIC every once in a while. I still it as if the NIC is not present.

There is a Realtek newly release DOS FW upgrade and modification application for this chipset. It does allow a FW upgrade, MAC add and some other stuff.

Thing is; it should work fine; but if you toast the FW to the NIC then you will be out an internal NIC that is kind of working.

I wonder if a diagnostic reboot to DOS would work?
Attachments
RSET8168_118.zip
(52.57 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
RTEGROM.244.zip
(188.38 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

The challenge would be to get a true DOS prompt up on the Joggler. I'm gonna stick with the USB-Ethernet adapter for a while as this NIC problem is taking up all my time. I also tried disabling other things on the PCIe bus to see if there were conflicts that would stop it.

pete

Post by pete »

Yeah trying to get to a diagnostic dos prompt right now playing a bit on one of the Jogglers.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Wow alot happens in 24 hours lol,

Re the efi files i will post them tonight, and the hd dvd drive should work too, cheers mevi

The reason i want to try an external CD drive is so i can try to natively install windows xp, i know it will be a bitch to get this working but I feel that its worth the work.

And i can try to the nic firmware upgrade, as i do not use the Ethernet, losing it will not be too much of a loss, just worries me that if if it goes wrong the joggler will mess up, i cant see that being the case though.

Re the multi boot, i knew i saw someone post it somewhere lol its just a matter of mick telling us how to get it working.

on a side note, i oc'ed my joggler yesterday morning(4am) and tried some stuff, it plays gta real nice even without over-clock, but with over-clock on i played a little pro evo 11, and it played OK, even with the Intel graphics lol wont be doing this again though till i upgrade the cooling lol.

Also I am awaiting the release of bluestacks for xp, the we can run android apps natively in windows, even with the low specs they should run decent.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

.RE Multiboot tutorial +1 for this pretty please :D
Happy Joggling
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I'm up for being a guinea pig for that NIC flash. Right now, the problem Joggler has neither a working NIC or the internal WLAN as there's a flash stick in there! The 99p eBay Belkin adaptor is doing just fine, so if I frazzle that NIC, never mind. :D

Dan, i think a Joggler cd install of XP is quite possible, slipstreaming the patches into the cd same as the XOM project did. I've not yet seen a way of installing directly onto a USB drive that worked for me, i tried on my laptop. despite editing files and formatting as instructed, XP saw the drive, but refused to create a partition or install into an existing partition.

Pete, if we can get a real DOS prompt on the Joggler, I think we can skip right on to chain booting W7. :shock:

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

dos prompt may be difficult, unless it was utilized through some sort of pe disc that would maybe work,

And re those efi files mevi, i have lost them lol, only ones i have are the ones you currently have, the dan old efi, and the usbhubefi,
sorry mate
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I had the same thought about a bart's PE boot cd, modded for Joggler and off a stick.

Not to worry about the EFI files as I now don't think that's gonna resolve the error 10 NICs. Thanks for looking, though. Appreciated.

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Oh and re the cd install, it definatley is possible, and i think a muvh better way that usboot, as then it would be joggler specific rather than generic like usboot makes windows.

And no worries, a pure dos environment would be difficult, but a dos pe disc should be easier, i have tried building a pe version for the joggler but failed miserably lol
more to come!!