**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: **BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Mevi going to give this a go tonight.
Last night I was dining mainly on Raspberry PI :-) and funny enough that was my issue with that last night I needed a more powerfull power supply to deal with all the usb stuff plugged in to it.
Cheers
Happy Joggling
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

If only a bigger power supply an option and didn't spell disaster for the Joggler!

If you go down the powered hub route, you should expect to see the Joggler screen to light up when the Joggler is powered off and the powered hub is powered up. I don't think it causes any harm to the Joggler.

Some hubs are ok I have heard, but I've see it at home with all hubs and a netbook dock I have tried, except for the Xbox HD-DVD drive which has 2 USB ports on the back (XP EFI bootloader doesn't boot on that, shame).
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Andrew1971 wrote:Hi All
Having trouble with trying to mod this XP to work on other device's. I can't figure it out :cry:
Can some kind person do a tutorial for us newbie's i have no clue how to it.
The info here is a little patchy.
Many Thank's
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I know the how-to I PM'd you was a bit on the techy side, but I think that is as gentle as modding this build for another device is going to be. :)

If you are looking to have a portable USB drive that you can plug into your Dell or another PC, then you could follow the instructions over at USBoot.org and cut out a lot of the modding. The instructions there are also a bit on the steep side.

The easiest method for getting your Dell alive and well would be to open it up, install a HDD and do a clean install of your choice of OS. All running native without the Joggler specific mods that are unlikely to be a benefit on a laptop.

I'm sure Linux is happy to install to and boot from a USB drive.

You might also find a bootable USB image out there on The Internet. I can't think of any, but a Google search might come up with the goods.
Mevi wrote:You might have seen mickchip (i think) saying how he had got my Joggler build running on a couple of other MID devices.

There is definitely a way to get it booting on your dell (intel, right?) but there is an amount of effort required to do that. It's been mentioned a few times in bits and bobs on the forum on this and other threads and Pete_c has done it several times on Jogglers with the EFI replaced with a work-in-progress BIOS.

First, you will need the driver.cab (on min.us when it is working) as build 3 only has the required drivers to run on a Joggler. You will also need to source the drivers for your dell. USBoot, which is installed, should take care of removing Joggler hardware and readying XP for the new Dell hardware. You can also boot from USB if you plan on keeping the dell without a HDD.

In order to boot from a BIOS PC instead of the Joggler's EFI (not the same as UEFI), you will need to un-patch XP to the original bootloader, replace the following files with the COPY that I kept on the image in the same folders.

C:\NTLDR
C:\NTDETECT
C:\windows\system32\drivers\vga.sys

You might need to set the master boot Record (MBR) for the drive.... I can't remember if I did as the Joggler's hacked EFI bootloader has not need for one. I'm having a bit of a brain freeze so I can't remember the name of the .EXE and command line. It's definitely mentioned by me a page or two back from the last post. If you are ok to leave the unneeded EFI partition in place, you might find it boots OK.

If you delete the EFI partition, you will need to change boot.ini to look for windows on partition 1 instead of partition 2.

I think that's all.... :D if you stick to using a USB stick or HDD, as long as you have drivers, it could boot on any Intel based (unsure of AMD) BIOS PC. As I said, a bit of work and you might just prefer to stick a HDD in and install XP in the traditional way.

Good luck!

pete

Post by pete »

Here I have tested Mevi's image on an Asus EFI booting AMD PC with standard NTFS booting (not the EFI partition) and it works well finding all of the drivers with what is contained in the image.

Here are some snapshots of the Joggler running Mevi's image that I am using for Home Automation stuff.

After I image the stick with Mevi's image I take it to Linux GParted and do a check. Most of the time I have seen that the boot piece (MBR) is not there; I set it with GParted and its fine afterwards. One new file I found that I needed for the Joggler was for the multiprocessor CPU which is named "ntkrpamp.exe". I just put this file in the windows\system32 directory and it works fine.

Using the Seabios/Coreboot and a USB hub works to boot just fine. Doing this with the EFI boot its a bit picky on the boot and I have less good luck booting. Relating just to the Joggler I have wired a 3rd USB port inside of the Joggler and use this to boot the USB SSD device. As the coreboot errors out with lack of resources for the built in Realtek network card I use an externally mounted Asix USB network device. I cut the wire; strip it a bit; solder it back together and plug it into the wireless USB port. This leaves me with one free external USB port which I can use for a mouse and keyboard attached to a USB hub. Easiest though to configure/boot in the Seabios mode is the SATA ZIF to SSD.
Attachments
Joggler-4.jpg
Joggler-3.jpg
Joggler-2.jpg
Joggler-1.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Thank's for the reply's
Well i think i know where i have going wrong i am using window's cheer's pete_c for the reminder :) :)
Will this work creating 2 partrition's with the correct file system. Extracting the file's from the img then copy the file's onto the partition's this done in linux.
Many Thank's
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; you can delete the FAT32 EFI partition then slide over the NTFS partition; expand it and write the boot flag to it.

You can then go to the NFTS partition with say another Microsoft OS machine and rename the files mentioned about. Don't forget to change the boot.ini file such that it is booting from the 1st partition instead of the default 2nd partition.

You can also utilize MiniTools partition manager to play with the partitions; adding subtracting resizing etc.
Will this work creating 2 partition's with the correct file system. Extracting the file's from the img then copy the file's onto the partition's this done in linux.
Yes; you can write the image. Then edit out the EFI image. Edit the files above. Create a new NTFS partition with GParted in Linux or MiniTools partition manager in Windows. In Minitools partition manager when I set the boot flag it never works; so I go in GParted and set it.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Cheer's Pete_c for the reply now i know which way i am heading to do this. My main aim is to get Mevi's XP running on dell laptop with small IDE SSD Drive 16 or 32gig + On my acer apsire one AOA150 run usb.
The reason is Mevi's XP is small light and fast and i could do with an XP machine other than the joggler.
Many Thank's
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

I am doing similiar here with an Asus Netbook 901A. It's running XP or Linux using an SSD and an SD card. Works great.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Mevi wrote:If only a bigger power supply an option and didn't spell disaster for the Joggler!

If you go down the powered hub route, you should expect to see the Joggler screen to light up when the Joggler is powered off and the powered hub is powered up. I don't think it causes any harm to the Joggler.

Some hubs are ok I have heard, but I've see it at home with all hubs and a netbook dock I have tried, except for the Xbox HD-DVD drive which has 2 USB ports on the back (XP EFI bootloader doesn't boot on that, shame).
Success at last Mevi , thanks a million for the help .
You are right and power to one of my hubs made the Joggler light up without power , initially scary but seems to have caused no harm :shock:
I decided to start again and re formatted my hdd and re wrote your build to it and then whilst still plugged in to my laptop copy and pasted the contents of Withhub to the root of the hdd and then for good measure i ran withhub.cmd (dont know why i did this as well lol)
Plugged in to port 4 of my hub and powered on , waited but nothing ; so went through the 4 ports one at a time and got some yellow writing at the bottom of the screen with the O2 logo but no boot .
I worked my way back to port 4 and hey presto it worked :D

The whole port 4 / hub thing is very intriguing .

Thanks again , now to start playing ;)
Happy Joggling
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Good news, Hawsey!

There will probably be a few things that you'll want to uninstall and/or upgrade, software wise. It's been a while since I finished it and things move on. CCleaner which is installed will also need an update, but has a uninstall tool that is quicker to use than the XP one. :)

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yes thx ive removed tvvercity thing and torrent stuff and upgraded cc cleaner and installed XBMC Frodo.
I must say it is running super quick nice and responsive with micro mouse and keyboard.
Xbmc is stuttering at the moment on audio but I am streaming off a hdd /revo / openelec set up but I am having other issues with that at the moment so that could be to blame.
More testing needed.
:grin:

Looking a bit further in to this stuttering issue i have booted my REVO in to W7 XBMC frodo and the same issue persists (playing music off the attached hdd s)
Thinking aloud here but i now need to try an add on streaming some music or something to prove this.
Hardly think it could be the build as it flies along...
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

hawsey,

"if" you want to give the coreboot/seabios thing a try with Mevi's XP build I have a couple of totally self contained Joggler's running using a USB-ZIF 16Gb SSD card inside of the Joggler. That said you can up the SSD to something a bit larger than 16Gb. I have also tested the version with the little SSD USB device.

I've been playing somewhat here though as I have no issues running with the PATA connected ZIF drives but experimenting with the USB to ZIF connected Jogglers (I do have two of them running just fine).

The only add which is a bit invasive but easy is a 3rd USB port and a USB to NIC device.

This would allow though a running Joggler Mevi XP "all in one" with no external devices to run. I am not getting audio stutter with XBMC or any audio streaming on it right now. My HA stuff though streams my live security camera stuff pretty well up to 720.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for the advice Pete :-) I do need to get in to the whole coreboot thing but I need another Joggler to pull to bits as the two I have are spoken for in my house unfortunately :-/ .
Will be coming for advice when I do lol

Well I tried xbmc through windows 7 on my revo and it still stutters streaming to the XP joggler. I dont really understand it as XP Is literally flying along otherwise.
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Are you streaming wired or wireless?

Here I do not stream wirelessly but rather just via the network. That said the NAS boxes with videos are connected via Gb and the XBMC streaming is via the Linux XBMC on the OpenPeakII. Same though for the MM XBMC box sitting next to the TV. (there are two of them; one running XP and another running Linux; they are both though connected via a Gb link).

Today experimenting with a very tiny footprint coreboot build using one of the USB SSD sticks; disassembled now. I busted off the USB port on it and am soldering it temporarily to the internal USB wires. The combo USB SSD board is smaller than the 16Gb SSD board and it does boot xp just fine right now. The Mevi XP build is small and works fine on the 8Gb mini USB SSD stick (in pieces and out of the case).
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

And it's still just audio that is stuttering? Video is OK?

Is it lossy audio that you are streaming, like MP3, WMA or M4A, or are you streaming lossless like FLAC or WAV? Silly question, but I only ask as lossless audio codecs will be very high bit rate.

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm never got that far Mevi I thought if audio was struggling video would too will try that tonight.
Going to plug straight in to the router to see if that is the issue also :-)
This XP build with the external hdd is eventualy destined for my van so all the stuff will be on the hdd anyway need to try that out also, its rock solid and no crashes as of yet so have got high hopes for it, just need to devote more time testing out.
Thanks for the ideas will report back. :-D

Tried plugging straight in to the hub tonight with a cable but still the stutter on audio , whilst lying on the floor I noticed how dusty the vents were on my Revo and saying how I've been having other problems with it ,decided to have it to bits as they say :-)
so I got sidetracked and removed an amazing amount of crud from the inside of the Revo which will hopefully help matters.
Try again tomorrow
come to think of it I didn't disable wireless when I tried the ethernet cable so I might have proved nowt .....
:-?
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Here for the MB used one of those little mini USB soundcards. It does OK with the sound. For the recorded music and really not sure what is best but typically try to save all of the music in 320bps. I do have a lot in 192bps. In the closed automobile you are though in a self contained sound chamber of sorts. I still needed to ground the chasis of the computer and utilize noise filters because I could still hear a bit of alternator whining. I do have a copy of my music collection in the carpcs and prefer to listen to the music than the radio. I went though with a direct audio out versus using a sound card and tapped into the AUX audio input on the car amplfier which works out.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

The Revo I had tucked behind the tv sucks up HUGE amounts of dust. It draws air in one side and pushes it out the other, and who knows where all that dust ends up inbetween!! I used an air duster to blast it through, but it's not as quiet as it was when we first got it. Like yours, probably needs a strip down. :shock:

That said, aside from the noise, performance hasn't changed.

Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
I have had success i have the dell running Mevi XP from usb it's quick :D Now got to get the driver's for it.
Do i need the extra+driver folder can i get rid of them.
Andrew
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Great news, Andrew! Glad you got it working. :)

From memory, i think that the extra drivers folder is just Joggler drivers. If you have a backup somewhere, I think it's OK to junk that. Once you have your drive all running as you like, make an image or VHD backup!!

From experience gained doing this project, it's good to keep a work in progress backup too, just in case of disaster! :D