**BUILD 3 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)**

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
manxam

Re: BUILD 2 - Windows XP Professional SP3 (Plus Tablet PC)

Post by manxam »

Pete, your zif drive looks relatively large (Though the pic may be misleading). The drive used in the iPod classic 6g is only 5mm thick and 46mm long (1.8"). Yours appears to be a half-height 2.5"?

Do you have and pics of the finished project? HD jammed in the joggler?
pete

Post by pete »

1.8" is the platter size. I wonder though if there exists a 1" zif drive.

My zif drive came from an IPod classic. Do you have a zif drive that is 46mm long?

You could fit a CF card maybe where the speaker is though.

Here's the specs.

http://www.samsung.com/global/system/bu ... A_r1.2.pdf

It is actually a bit smaller (not by much) than the 1/2 2.5" IDE drive I have.

Standard dimensions of a 1.8" zif drive are: 5 × 54 × 71 mm
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

The Microdrive is 1". I'd say that flash media has rendered them obsolete, now.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

You can still get these 1" 8 Gb microdrives ...and they are smaller...but 8Gb isn't much. 40X30mm in size. This would fit where the speaker is today.

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib. ... 091506.pdf

cheap on ebay.

Mevi, you said you purchased the larger USB SSD drive, eh? Did you get it yet?

I was going to reshape the metal bar in the back of the joggler for wall mounting.

A mickey mouse way though would be to just fit the Joggler in the wall (the case itself is kind of wedge shaped) and use a spring of sorts to hold the joggler in place. With this it would look nice from the front, almost be flush to the wall (I could add some little flexible trim around the border) and mostly not have to worry about making a mount on the back of the Joggler. The walls here are paper thin and easy to play with. My basement is unfinished but there are sections with some drywall / studs that I can test this methodology.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

these can be picked up cheap also, and seem small too

Dimensions (H x W x D) 8.0 mm. x 71.0 mm. x 54.0 mm. Model. HS161JQ (ZIF)

its a Samsung drive from an iPod, most are 160GB and go for between 30-50 pound

also look at the Samsung s1 external, looks to be real small too
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
Jonathan Bowley

Post by Jonathan Bowley »

hi guys, finally moving from the nice but not too practical android ports to this wonderful xo image. boots fine directly, but will not boot with hub.

have run with hub.cmd and waited for prompt to reboot, but no prompt occurs. if i copy the with hub files and shut down, plug hub in, and restart, it just scrolls lines of text and says it can't boot.

have looked in the thread for a solution, can't find one. any help? really want a usb keyboard and bluetooth up and running!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

possibly an incompatible hub, is it powered on non powered the hub?

Also whats the error?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

also welcome to windows land, enjoy your stay!
more to come!!

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

There won't be a prompt to reboot, you'll need to restart yourself. The cmd file just copies the files from the with hub folder to the root of the efi partition. You can do that from the machine you imaged the disk from.

You may just need to experiment which port on the hub you're using. Or try a different hub as one of mine is no good for booting. If you have an iPhone, download hippo remote lite which is free and enter the ip address on the xp desktop and the password joggler. Yur phone becomes a wireless keyboard and mouse. Works on iPad too.

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

The one hub that I use will only boot from one port. The other 3 ports will give an ntldr or ntcommand error. The hacks done to get XP working on EFI are quite fussy. I would guess that you probably don't get this kind of problem with other OS, which is why this one caught you out. :)

Good luck!

verg0

Post by verg0 »

@ pete_c

Do you have a link as to where to buy the 16GB SSD you are refering too?

I was wanting to utilise the zif inside the joggler but i think ill go for the usb ssd idea instead, my soldering skills are good so i should be ok :shock:
Jonathan Bowley

Post by Jonathan Bowley »

Mevi wrote:There won't be a prompt to reboot, you'll need to restart yourself. The cmd file just copies the files from the with hub folder to the root of the efi partition. You can do that from the machine you imaged the disk from.

You may just need to experiment which port on the hub you're using. Or try a different hub as one of mine is no good for booting. If you have an iPhone, download hippo remote lite which is free and enter the ip address on the xp desktop and the password joggler. Yur phone becomes a wireless keyboard and mouse. Works on iPad too.
ah, thanks. the instructions mentioned rebooting, but i didn't see any reason that would happen automatically! i have copied the files, which ones are needed - just the WITH HUB files? should i delete the 'leftover' xoj.efi in the root directory, or leave it there? it's not in the WITH HUB folder, so i don't know what to do with it...

i have tried on all 7 ports of the hub... looks like it's not a goer, unless i have the wrong efi files loaded. will try an unpowered hub, but don't have any other powered hubs in... anyone got a guaranteed worker, or is it all a bit hit and miss?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Jonathan Bowley wrote:
Mevi wrote:There won't be a prompt to reboot, you'll need to restart yourself. The cmd file just copies the files from the with hub folder to the root of the efi partition. You can do that from the machine you imaged the disk from.

ah, thanks. the instructions mentioned rebooting, but i didn't see any reason that would happen automatically! i have copied the files, which ones are needed - just the WITH HUB files? should i delete the 'leftover' xoj.efi in the root directory, or leave it there? it's not in the WITH HUB folder, so i don't know what to do with it...

i have tried on all 7 ports of the hub... looks like it's not a goer, unless i have the wrong efi files loaded. will try an unpowered hub, but don't have any other powered hubs in... anyone got a guaranteed worker, or is it all a bit hit and miss?
This one working fine for me , first one i tried
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mice-keybo ... rsLA%3D%3D
Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

trust 4 port hub from Wilkinson is also a guaranteed booter
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

oh mevi, i cant get the zipad hdd to boot, it fails to find the active partition, so more of a incompatible hub problem than anything, will try again later on tonight will post results, as the Xbox drive will most probably be the exact same problem, i think that the really old efi files from eric's site, the one that still uses grub, will boot it, but then you lose 120 MB of ram weirdly, maybe the multiboot would fix it if i could get it to work
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

I've gone to utilizing the attached picture style USB Hub. It is 7 ports powered or unpowered. It seems to be OK. After initial configurations and boots and reboots I pretty much just take it to VNC/touch with just the memory stick plugged into the side port. It'll boot faster without a hub for me. I also lately just utilize the small Lenova wireless keyboard. Its not a convential keyboard though; but a really small footprint.

Noticed too that there is different behavior relating to using a memory stick, ZIF Drive or USB SSD stick whether you are using the internal versus the external USB port; with the booting preference going to the external port. This does allow though for the ability to change the internal USB device by booting with the external device allowing for some flexiblity.

It seems to work best with the first port. It is today's "hub du jour"; and have utilized a variety of 4 port and 7 port hubs; powered and non powered.

I zipped and uploaded a base do all EFI which I keep only the most basic files in two directories called HUB or NOHUB. First boot is always just the HUB directory. You can just plug the memory stick into your computer and change what EFI files it used to boot. I attached the basic EFI directory with the two subdirectorys. Works for me.
Attachments
Lenova Mini Keyboard.jpg
EFI.7z
(194.79 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
7-port hub.jpg
Last edited by pete on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Dan,

A carry over from last week. Still stuck on one or two sentences for the Christmas cards. I do this every year though....
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Jonathan Bowley wrote: ah, thanks. the instructions mentioned rebooting, but i didn't see any reason that would happen automatically! i have copied the files, which ones are needed - just the WITH HUB files? should i delete the 'leftover' xoj.efi in the root directory, or leave it there? it's not in the WITH HUB folder, so i don't know what to do with it...

+1 for the trust 4 port hub at wilko. Once touch is set up and the screen calibrated, it's ok without a keyboard. I am used to touch devices with a half dozen in the house and a 3rd Joggler bidding on now!!!!!

I have a capacitive stylus from the 99p store that is good.

It's ok to leave any leftover XOJ stuff, it won't be used.

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Build 3 is ready, short of the audio driver issues I mention in it's own dedicated thread...

pete

Post by pete »

The capacitance touch is very good with the Joggler!

I have a Liliput 4:3 8" resistance screen on the desk along side of the Joggler. Way different touch between the two. You almost have to utilize a stylus with the Liliput screen to get some decent touch stuff going.

Mevi,

Did you get your 16/32 Gb USB SSD stick yet? I am noticing that I am getting stuff now from 3-4 weeks ago; all orders placed at the same time; but trickling in one parcel per day.

I tried to get to the original forum (where you need to use the Google translator) to see about the audio issues. Can't find the link anymore. I do recall the original post and some very detailed "take apart" relating to the first audio issue and solution. I wonder if there they mentioned the speaker output with the audio jack cable plugged in?
- Pete

Auto mater