dead??

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
stingray

dead??

Post by stingray »

Guys,
Just got given a o2 logo locked joggler,thought no probs,loaded up birdlikewires reflash tool all ok but on reboot still stay stuck at logo screen.

So whats next step or is this baby dead?

Cheers
dazza99

Re: dead??

Post by dazza99 »

It took me several attemps to fix mine but it worked eventually
Do you know know the usb stick works with the joggler- if not try another one
Try repeating the proces from scratch, and try it with the joggler connected by wire rather than wirelessly
It does take a while for the first boot up
Good luck
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

It has been known for the internal flash memory to give up; the reflash would appear to work successfully, but then there would be a corruption and the Joggler might fail to boot. If the reflasher seems to be working properly, give it another try - and be patient waiting for it to boot. As the reflasher says, it can be up to five full minutes before you get to the GUI on the first boot.

If you still have no luck, just give up on the internal memory (it's slow and only 1GB anyway) and run one of the numerous alternative operating systems from a USB stick.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
stingray

Post by stingray »

Thanks guys,
Problem now is wont boot from usb,either android or linux builds,trying the hub and keyboard method i can get it as far as

joggler login:

Then thats as far as i goes.....stumped
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Did you try "“The reflash system doesn’t boot properly.”" on the birdslikewires page to try a reflash again ? or use it to boot to linux, and manually look at the flash etc
stingray

Post by stingray »

Hi,
Well just made 3 more usb images of reflash tool tried them all,none will boot without connecting hub and keyboard.

All flashes go right through all stages and is reported as ok,on reboot stays at 02 screen,left it upto 10 mins a time.

Cheers
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

stingray wrote:All flashes go right through all stages and is reported as ok,on reboot stays at 02 screen,left it upto 10 mins a time.
I'd say it's time to try one of BuZz's images. Boot one of those (I'd recommend Joli OS) and use gparted to take a look at the internal flash (mmcblk0). You can repartition it, mount it, test it - whatever you need to do to while booted from a USB stick. At least then you can try to find out if the memory is really kaput.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
stingray

Post by stingray »

Problem is as i said i cannot get it to boot direct from usb,i have to do the press esc and enter routine to get it to boot,
Is there a way to start an android or linux image in the same way?...if so i have tried

fs0:
boot.nsh

and other combination to no avail.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Buzz's image should not need any manual intervention it should go straight to the desktop
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
gegs

Post by gegs »

danfoshizzle wrote:Buzz's image should not need any manual intervention it should go straight to the desktop
I think that depends on where it is falling over on the boot cycle. The Joggler might be failing before it fires up any USB device.
stingray

Post by stingray »

Thanks for all you replies,

I finally got Joli os to run from usb!!,now being a novice im a bit stuck of what i can do to see if flash memory has given up.

Are there any commands from the terninal i can run to test or even revive it??

Thanks again.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

ctrl+f1 for terminal.

internal flash is /dev/mmcblk0 (p1 to p4). should be able to mount them etc first of all. it's worth fsck'iong them when unmounted,. perhaps roobarb could give you some stuff to check for that should be there. I realise this isn't a full list of commands, but it's a start.

sudo -s
to mount (one at a time). mount /dev/mmcblkpX /mnt
cd /mnt
look around etc
to unmount - sudo umount /mnt

p1 contains efi boot filesystem. make sure that is intact with boot.efi / startup.nsh . if that is fine, then i guess the issue is with the efi/nvram stuff.
stingray

Post by stingray »

Thank Buzz will give it a try,

...fingers crossed

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt

boot.efi startup.nsh sum0 sum1 vmlinux0 vmlinux1

so all there
moso

Post by moso »

stingray

Post by stingray »

moso wrote:Easy way to fix your problem :D

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash

Cheers mate,tried that already.
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

Did you ever find a solution to this problem Stingray?
pete

Post by pete »

I noticed that using "birdlikewires reflash tool " that it went through the step by step taking its time. BTW thank you Roobarb! for a great application!

The final reboot and start of the O2 OS took a while the first time. I let it sit; walked away from it and it was fine after a bit. The second and third boots were just fine time wise to live.

I'm guessing as stated before that maybe a replacement chip might work for you.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

I already owned 2 Jogglers before I bought my job lot of 3 from ebay.
I have just installed one of their known to be good EFI memory chips into one of my "stuck at O2" Jogglers and it still stays stuck.
I also but the EFI chip from the stuck Joggler into my known to be good Joggler and it works great.
So it's not the EFI chip.
From my understanding that only leaves the 1GB soldered on flash memory as a suspect.
Does anyone know of a memory test that will check it with all 0's and then all 1's?