Running Chumby Apps

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Juggler

Re: Running Chumby Apps

Post by Juggler »

Pete, it's good of you to explore this. I asked some questions of you earlier, the reason being, I thought it might be a way to give people with unmodified joggler's or using PNP3 to keep them going with a fresh source of apps. I've no idea what it is like to use an unmodified joggler or PNP3. I'm interested as I think it would be good for the Joggler community, plus it is something new to learn about on the devices I have.

Maybe this is something you already know about. You've said you have lots of small files; if you want to check a file to see what it is the command file, may be able to help :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_%28command%29

Only came across this one recently as there was some major flaw in it, so perhaps best to upgrade first.

I'd be tempted to look for file signatures manually, using a known signature for a file type and a hex editor/binary search tool :

http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html

Appears to be 3 types :

Code: Select all

43 57 53 	  	CWS
SWF 	  	Macromedia Shockwave Flash player file (zlib compressed, SWF 6 and later).

46 57 53 	  	FWS
SWF 	  	Macromedia Shockwave Flash player file (uncompressed). See

5A 57 53 	  	ZWS
SWF 	  	Macromedia Shockwave Flash player file (LZMA compressed, SWF 13 and later).
I think there are some tools on there to help too.

Also came across these which may be of interest :

http://www.free-decompiler.com/flash/links.html

An SWF decompiler and there are links to the Adobe SWF file format specification as well.

There's an overview of the SWF file format specification here :

http://www.the-labs.com/MacromediaFlash ... ormat.html

I don't know how active development of the Chumby apps is, but given that it may not be so active now, I wonder how feasible it would be to do a dump of all the SWF files there, or SWF files that are compatible with the Joggler and keep them somewhere. I also wonder if it is possible to have an SWF app collection on a USB flash drive and be able to plus this into the Joggler and have the Joggler's GUI pick them up, either for execution off the flash drive or for installation on the Joggler. Could also be a network share as well.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

This one looks interesting pete
http://www.chumby.com/guide/8B14F578-EB ... 7CC/widget
The apecam looks a laugh too :-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah; a bit bored last night while watching an interesting movie (from 2005) called "The Island".

Wife fell asleep; I did stay up to watch it.

Looks like any configurations for the flash files are not on the Chumby rather maybe on line; unless they are using some non descript number thing.

IE: like weather locations or html settings.

That said a neato feature that I never paid attention to is an "off" button on the Chumby.

See if attached works on the Joggler...on my laptop it just going to a Loading......screen..
CS.zip
(99.53 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

@Gary,

Works fine on the Joggler. I needed to wait. It showed that it was loading for a few seconds. Only thing is the 4:3 cropping that is noticeable.

I wonder if its that cross scripting thng. Here is webcam picture.

I think the sun has set by you now eh?
JogglerCHU.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ha ha yep your right Pete :-)
Looking good, so with PnP III installed could you put a load of these on a sub stick and load them like that? As the Jogglers internal memory is obviously limited. Would that work.
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes.

Trying to figure out though where the configurations come from on the flash files that do weather and stuff.

Repartitioned the 16Gb Ubuntu build to make room for the Joggler O2 partitions and copying them over just to see if I can get them to boot up in the SSD partition. I mean with the Chumby I was doing either a Chumby boot or a chroot to Ubuntu boot. I don't see why it wouldn't work with an SSD?

Most if not all of the Jogglers I have today just utilize a 16Gb or greater SSD drive and not much of the built in MMC stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Been running a Chumby flash file that I never saw before. Looks to be an earlier screen (development?).

It shows a little chumby critter in one corner, analog clock, calender with day and time in one column.

On the right side in big fonts it shows the day of the week, digital clock and the date in large fonts on the bottom.

Maybe just a test screen cuz there are 3 clocks on it and 3 calendar dates on it. It is not as nice as the PnPIII default clock.

I do like the Chumby logo

I do have (from way long time ago), Chumby coffee mug, automobile stickers but no Tee shirts with the logo on it.

Never saw this Openpeak logo before.
openpeaklogo.jpg
openpeaklogo.jpg (15.98 KiB) Viewed 13330 times
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Updating my 3.5" Chumby / Infocast with a new (old) firmware from ZDoc.

The firmware is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fi ... by_one.zip

Instructions:
Unzip to a blank USB thumbdrive (FAT32 formatted, 512 MB or greater, root folder, make sure you keep directory structure) - power off your activated, networked, functional chumby - insert thumbdrive - power on. Wait for the voice prompts (3-5 min) and when it reboots remove the USB thumbdrive. The first boot after install will take a while (1-2 min), the next ones are much faster. If upgrading with an on board firmware already on the Chumby the procedure is the same. The loader will detect the earlier install and upgrade it automatically. You will need to change the control panel time to your correct location after bootup. Also change the brightness and sound to your preference. Ensure your chumby is activated, on the network and fully operational with the latest firmware (c1/i3.5 - v1.0.7 or c8/i8 - v1.8.2) prior to using the offline firmware. Although you do not need to activate your chumby and can run this offline firmware completely without a network, for a first time installation both network and activated chumby are recommended to make life simple. For operating in network-less environments please delete the file autoreboot.on from the chumby storage root. NOTE: The screen may not update while the firmware is installing. This is normal. 10-15 min is the average time for the firmware to load into your chumby. Do not unplug it during firmware loading.
It does allow for offline / online stuff with the Chumby. Doing this to maybe take some of these pieces (from firmware) over to the Joggler for more playing.
- Pete

Auto mater
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

I also have a chumby device but i am bit willing to pay subscription for extra features because when I bought this everything was fee. Of course since then a lot have changed! Anyway before service went down I used instructions provided from chumby forums to download and backup chumby servies using an app called octopus I think. All I have now is a big file with a lot of folders that I don't know how to use and isolate swf to use with jogger. Please let us know how you proceed with this efford
pete

Post by pete »

Here installed the Zurk OS. It is an offline Chumby OS with a few new SWF files.

I think it works offline and online. Do you have a link for the Octopus program.

Up until I updated the OS to the Zurk OS I was saving the SWF files over. They are just non discript number files with no SWF extension.

SSH and look under /usr/widgets for the base OS chumby widgets.

The Pandora radio widgets are now working and it would be nice to have those on the Joggler. There is also a bunch of talking Chumby stuff on the zurk build and some sort of intercom program.

Yeah Chumby the company went out of business and it looks like the Chumby forum moderators took the original chumby widgets and migrated all of the chumby stuff to new servers for the continuous use of the chumby widgets.

They do charge a small fee for upkeep of the old stuff and continued support of all of the widgets.

You can just test and play the widgets with the Joggler PnPIII program as you see above. Just make sure that the SWF extension is there and copy them over to a USB stick. Some play and some do not play. Sometimes you need to wait a bit before you see it.

Attached is the Chumby Zoltar flash file. Remember in order for Zoltar to read your fortune; you must give him money and push the button. If you get Zoltar mad he will curse you and your family for eternity; that is the gypsy way.

BTW installed Zoltar to the Joggler. Works great! Talks and everything.
Attachments
Zoltar.zip
(391.56 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Pete
How did you get your flash app's installed on the joggler. have i missed something :(
Andrew

Update
Found out how to it now dissappointed. I thought it was case of put swf file on usb flash start app then navigate to it and run :(
pete

Post by pete »

Andrew,

Yup; that was it.

There is a defined process here somewhere where you can create a subdirectory and Icon to configure it for PnPIII. It is built from the top menu on down . Test it first to validate using the flash player with PnPIII. If you like your flash app; then incorporate it into you PnPIII build.
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

I found the tutorial on installing flash apps. How complicated for such a simpe task + using another pc to install it.
Why can't you run a swf file from usb. Xubuntu can do it
pete

Post by pete »

Have you installed any new applications in PnPIII?
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi Pete
No i have not don't know how to. Joggler is running 30300 firmware + PNP3, connected by ethernet cable.
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

Have a read relating to the beginning of PnP ...

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... t=pnp#p334
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Had a read and tried and did not work
The wget line timed out. Silly question the london that's in that line is UK or US london.
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; you already have SSH installed and you can run WinSCP without that first piece.

Skip part one and part two except for:

4. Go to media/appshop/flash. From here, you can edit the url.txt folder and add or remove any SWF file. Alternatively, you can copy a SWF file to this folder, or delete the existing ones.

Baby steps . . . you cannot break the Joggler.
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
This is still not working for me followed the instruction's and still access denied when using the password's on the forum. I am now using wifi with fresh reflash 30300 and PNP 3.50 installed.
Andrew
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

I have finally got this to work better late then never :D
Now to find some swf's
Andrew