Screen corruption on boot, original OS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Mr_Dave

Screen corruption on boot, original OS

Post by Mr_Dave »

Hi guys,

I'm getting some screen corruption on bootup on the original OS. I've flashed it back to factory, but its still there. Strangely, the screen is fine once its booted the OS to the O2 splash screen.

Any ideas...? Slightly confused here!

Cheers,
Dave
Attachments
DSC02669.JPG
marctwo

Re: Screen corruption on boot, original OS

Post by marctwo »

I get this too, although mine shows the O2 logo. Works ok once booted though so I'm not too bothered.
DJ-Q

Post by DJ-Q »

I also get this on two of my units, but again all is fine once booted
pukington

Post by pukington »

I have the same problem, sometimes its the lower third of the screen, sometimes its the whole screen. Also dissapears when booted =D
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Mr_Dave wrote:I've flashed it back to factory, but its still there.
Did you reflash using my (birdslikewires) reflash tool, by any chance?

It has nothing to do with the screen corruption, but I've been after success reports from users with 'OpenPeak' booting Jogglers, just because I don't have one to hand to test with. If it's worked for you, that's great.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
danb79

Post by danb79 »

I to get corruption on my openpeak booting joggler. What i have noticed is it happens when the unit has been off for a while once its warmed up the corruption is gone? could be moisture or a bad capacitor?
JonB

Post by JonB »

I have this too. I'm thinking it is something electronics related as danb79 suggests, but it is weird that it goes away after bootup is complete. I mean if there was a hardware problem you might expect the problem to persist, right?
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

I had this even when booting JoliOS when it had been switched off for a while. Corruption remained through the text part of the boot and even during the JoliOS logo part, but was gone when the OS was loaded. Only seems to happen when the joggler has been off for a while.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Booting both my Jogglers when they're cold, I get this same thing. I don't know why is disappears once the OS GUI is on screen, but it never appears on mine when they're warmed up.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thought id add this here rather than a new thread.

One of my joggler's was booted up into linux. rebooted to try a newly build grub, and the screen corrupted. thought it was the gop video stuff in the newer grub, and tried a few more times. no luck. put the old stick back in and realised the joggler is not working :(

Boots from usb, and either freezes, or the whole screen corrupts badly and it crashes. I'm now wondering whether it has just failed at the same point i was doing stuff, or if the new grub did something bad with the hardware/efi for example. next ill have to try sticking the efi chip from my other joggler in it, but not what i wanted. grumble.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Im contacting o2 to see if this is under warranty before I take it apart. Might still be under possibly although I guess it probably isn't.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:Boots from usb, and either freezes, or the whole screen corrupts badly and it crashes.
Interesting - the Joggler that Mr_Dave gave me to fix the reboot loop problem has exactly the same problem, screen corruption on boot (when cold), but it always resolves itself in the end. Hope it doesn't deteriorate, because it's coming in really handy. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i dont have screen corruption when booting from cold exactly, but just when grub loads and does some efi calls or something. it mostly doesnt corrupt and stays with the o2, just sometimes it corrupts but always crashes/freezes at that point.
Roderz

Post by Roderz »

marctwo wrote:I get this too, although mine shows the O2 logo. Works ok once booted though so I'm not too bothered.
Ditto to the above for me until last week when my unit died on me (just repentantly showing O2 logo)
Had to reflash using birdslikewires reflash tool and all sorted now - display is ok on boot - all very strange.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Good news! Joggler repaired. I hot swapped the faulty joggler's EFI chip in my working joggler, rewrote it from an image I had dumped previously, and all is good, so the EFI was corrupted as I suspected. Still slightly worrying "how" it happened. Was it grub probing something causing it, or just a random bit of bad luck.