Windows Server 2003 RELEASED

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

Re: Windows Server 2003 RELEASED

Post by danfoshizzle »

I am glad you like it Pete, as we know from the XP build , it can be a bitch to get working at first but once its used to your joggler it should be fine.

What's your first impressions on the speed Pete?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Think I might try a ghost image later on today, maybe its windows being difficult and not liking the .img format?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Dan,

Thank you for another first! Excellent rendention; works great.

The speed is very good compared to the XP build. The XP would do bursts with delays with the flash drive.

This build utilizing W2003 doesn't do that. Just from using it so far.

Just looking to see if I can get it to boot from the internal USB via the SSD USB drive.

I don't move it / snapshot it via the image or utilize the img format.

I use the raw partition instead to write the image; doing some with Linux and some with windows.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

The EFI start and boot error out when trying to boot the NTFS partition from the inside USB port.

No booting problems from the external USB port most of the time.

Sometimes though it'll get to a point when booting that it can't find the boot.ini file or good ntdlr file.

But I'm playing some; fast USB stick, IDE external and USB SSD.

USB memory stick - boots via external USB with or without hub. same doesn't boot from internal USB
IDE USB - boots via external USB with or without hub. doesn't boot from internal USB
SSD USB - boots sometimes from external USB. Doesn't boot with hub or from internal USB.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Found the fix for the sound. Tested it out on the XP build; works well.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeah the sound fix was the ini file, the guy on hipda has also done the same and goes into alot more detail about how its done.

Embedded xp no matter what i try will not boot, seems a no go im afraid
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

@ Pete, when i have some spare cash i will pick up one of the kingspec ssd and build a new image around the faster speed, i think that may be the way to go for windows on the joggler
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Yes the audio stuff goes into a lot of detail.

Yes; the USB SSD works nicely. There's been a short delay on my last order of the Kingspec USB SSD; very courteous folks.

Thank-you Dan for giving us Windows on the Joggler!
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Your welcome, i will keep trying to make this even faster in my spare time, i think server 2003 is better for the joggler so all my builds in the future will be based on server 2003.
more to come!!

johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Cheers Dan. I will give it a whirl tonight.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

let me know your feedback, its good to know what people think as it makes it easier for me to make windows better lol
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Personally I like W2003 Lite over XPSP3. Its looking good Dan.

Only seeing the last posted stuff relating to:

1 - warm boot - doesn't reboot.
2 - mostly boots just fine off of external USB port; doesn't boot up from internal USB port.
3 - hit or miss on an external USB port hub connection boot.

All this maybe only related to the EFI.
- Pete

Auto mater
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Initial feedback.

Installed on HP 16GB v260w stick. This wouldn't boot from an external hub but would when connected directly to USB port.
Installed on 8GB microSD card and boots fine from an external hub, allowing use of a USB mouse in the hub also.
Speedwise it's looking good. Once I have it fully setup I will compare to the WinXP build.

My first action is to get it on my wireless network but it fails to do so. It can see the network but fails to connect. When I looked at the settings it had chosen WEP. Weird as I am using WPA2-PSK[AES]. If I modify it manually to WPA/AES it still fails to connect.

Has anyone got it to connect to a WPA2 wireless network?
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

umm, having more issues. There is a red cross next to Local Users and Groups in Computer Management. When I try to install VNC it fails to save the settings so I wanted to check the user account details but can't access them because of teh red cross with error "Unable to access the computer joggler. The error was: Unspecified error". I take it this isn't expected in the 2003 build?

I will try reflashing the image to the stick.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Well, still no luck with WPA2/AES after a reflashing the image. I found updated drivers from Ralink but still it fails to connect. It works fine in WEP but I don't want to drop my network security to that level.

to be continued....

In case anyone wants to try them, the Ralink drivers are dated 15 Sept 2011, so pretty recent. Here:
http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support ... php?sn=500

John
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

SEE UPDATE!! Having failed to even write the image on a 64bit Win 7 pc, I finally managed to write the image on a 32bit Win 7 machine... first attempt was with the USB in the side. It loaded up on the jogler but with the message 'At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.' Behind the error message, there's a transparent keyboard and behind that a 'Found New Hardware' window - 'USB Mass Storage Device' , but nothing else is attached. The touchsreen wasn't responding. Turned off, tried again and it wouldn't load. Blanked USB and wrote the image again, loaded up with the USB stick attached via a hub, same message and the joggler isn't responding again , mouse curser won't move - looks like it's crashed. Any suggestions?

UPDATE... I left the joggler in its 'crashed' state it sorted itself out after five mins and is now working!! Woohoo!
Last edited by FyodorNinian on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Try leaving it a while after boot up.

Because the USB devices have different ids to when dan produced the image, it can take a minute or so for it to detect the new devices.

If I recall, it reports about 2 new USB devices and a new disk. Let this detection occur and then reboot. You should find it's quicker then as it isn't detecting new devices.

The mouse won't move until you wait for it to be detected and drivers installed a first bootup.

John
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; takes a bit. I plugged in my little Lenova wireless keyboard and it comes up after a while.
- Pete

Auto mater
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

FyodorNinian wrote:
UPDATE... I left the joggler in its 'crashed' state it sorted itself out after five mins and is now working!! Woohoo!
Good stuff!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeah first boot is time to make coffee lol, and re the local users mmc i will look into it.
more to come!!