Windows Server 2003 RELEASED

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

Windows Server 2003 RELEASED

Post by danfoshizzle »

Well it has taken a little while due to family commitments but server 2003 is almost ready for release, I am currently just ironing out the last few wrinkles and making sure all is good to go,

XBMC runs as smooth as silk no screen tearing or sync issues
Google chrome seems to be loading pages fast and is nice and responsive
Brightness control is included
Winrar handles archives by default
I also found new software to make 2003 more touch friendly: Dmouse which switches your cursor from left to right click, Inscribe virtual keyboard (which was present in my xp build) is a lightweight keyboard with transparency settings and custom configs, Miniscroller a navigation and selection tool for Tablet PCs,
Application verification tool for running programs that block sever installs
Various tweaks to windows for speed and responsiveness

Windows server as a whole made my job a little easier due to the way it allocates ram and paging more like a modern operating system. I would say that server 2003 is at least 20-30 percent faster than previous xp builds

Do you have any software you would like to see in the released build?

What is needed:
A nice touch friendly music player
Maybe a different choice of osk if you know of a better one?
A windows touch layer would be nice also, i have been playing with the origami experience as a launcher/music player/video player, but the UI is a bit ugly for my liking, but it is included in the build for you try for yourself.

Also if you know of any apps that have a touch friendly skin or interface let us know so we can try them out
release should be in the next couple of days so if you have any recommendations drop a reply so it can be included in the build!!

new link: https://rapidshare.com/files/495888090/2003FoShiz.rar

Also if you likw the work im doing buy me a beer: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... aNonHosted
Last edited by danfoshizzle on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
dwl99

Re: Windows Server 2003 so far

Post by dwl99 »

Squeezeplay for Windows would be good!
holmes

Post by holmes »

Squeezeplay + squeezebox server
markeh

Post by markeh »

Is there any carpc software that would be suitable for this? Someone mentioned centralfuse on the XP thread and that it wasn't a good fit for the joggler.
guidows

Post by guidows »

can it have double boot? (linux and windows at same time)?
Colincliff

Post by Colincliff »

+ 1 for squeezeplay
james

Post by james »

I would LOVE Boxee!!

Have you used it? much better than xbmc --- even has seesaw programs on now! and very touch friendly :) I could never get it to work with ubuntu though on joggler, but have done on an eeepc

http://www.boxee.tv/make

Also VLC would be great media player as I believe you can control that with an android mobile phone
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

@markeh yeah i tried centrafuse and freeice but both not a good fit

@dwl, homes and collincliff squeezplayer/server sholud not be a problem!!

@ james will try boxee, but not making any promises as it is heavy
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Hi danfoshizzle,

I have been following your xp thread with interest and see that 2003 Server seems to have some benefits over xp.

I would love to have the Speech Recognition Engine/SAPI installed in the standard build.

(Hi to Pete_c also)

John (JimBob)
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Squeezeplay + squeezebox server
or someother radio soft, joggler is a perfect radio
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

While we're asking ---- I would like a podcast client (Juice?).
markeh

Post by markeh »

danfoshizzle wrote:@markeh yeah i tried centrafuse and freeice but both not a good fit

@dwl, homes and collincliff squeezplayer/server sholud not be a problem!!

@ james will try boxee, but not making any promises as it is heavy
What was the problem? Just wondering, my car headunit is awful and I've always fancied getting the joggler in there
pete

Post by pete »

Dan,

Great news!

Personally it doesn't matter other than just the W2003 piece.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
verg0

Post by verg0 »

Hi Pete_c

Spotify (free) with a web remote http://degero.se/spotify/ would be awsome! :D :D
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

holmes wrote:Squeezeplay + squeezebox server
Both of these are already available for Windows - the trick will be if you want full screen, as the SqueezePlay interface is hard-coded as skins of set resolutions. The one I maintain for the native OS and Ubuntu-based systems is the full 800x480, but you would need to recompile the player to not include any window furniture if you wanted to use it. Otherwise you would need to tweak the skin to fit the remaining size of the screen.

If somebody wanted to take that on, the skin (and other files) are here:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... ueezeplay/

The latest file you would want for the skin is squeezeplay-generic-800x480-v104.tgz.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

A modified EFI; (mentioned before) such that you could have a multiboot choice; maybe timed such that one would default on boot.

One for W2003, Ubuntu, original O2 OS and Android.

I have my Chumby's booting into Linux by default with a 2 Gb CF card plugged in. When the CF card is removed; they boot into the Chumby OS.

BTW the Chumby only has a resistive screen, 800Mhz Arm CPU so its a bit slower; still functional though. These are high on the WAF scale in that I didn't cut any holes in any walls and they sit typically running a picture screen saver. They are nestled between picture frames all over the home; kind of discrete; yet very functional. Wife will only touch the "in wall" touchscreens that are simple in function. She will not touch the customized ones for fear she might "break" something.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
vsmartybrain

Post by vsmartybrain »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for you great work.
I think it is important to get a base build first which is easy to use.
Any modifications can be added later on as these modifications are
very user specific.
Perhaps a document on how to add applications can be added later
on to help users to add their own modifications as suited for their own
purpose.

Cheers
v
ricey

Post by ricey »

Albumplayer has a touch version
pete

Post by pete »

I agree with vsmartybrain on a base first; then documented adds.

IE: with the XP base; I didn't remove much but added much "stuff" that probably wouldn't interest the masses relating to speech and a customized touch screen front end. For the Ubuntu build Buzz included a script to install XMBC.

The speech was tied to an application which was running talking to the "mothership" and so was the front end touch screen.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

squeezeplay can be included but not full screen version recompiling the source would take up too much time i dont have, but if anyone has the time to do it please do and share,
more to come!!