Homeassistant

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
truxntrax

Homeassistant

Post by truxntrax »

Hi all,

Intending to resurrect a joggler to control home automation. I use homeassistant to control my various smart devices: https://home-assistant.io/

Joggler seems the perfect device to act as a controller.

I've tried to access the Web page from my xbuntu 14 flashed joggler but chrome doesn't render or display any of information... The page should look like this:

https://home-assistant.io/docs/frontend/mobile/

When I view the page on the joggler Chrome browser I just see a blank white screen and a blue bar...

Any idea what dependencies I need to add to make this work?

T
pete

Re: Homeassistant

Post by pete »

I have not installed or tried Home Assistant on the Joggler.

Chrome works fine on Buzz's Ubuntu but it is a bit slow. Been playing with new Firefox Quantum. It is much faster than old Firefox.
Here have always utilized Firefox (on whatever OS) as primary browser. Not a Chrome user here.

Here have installed following automation software to test on the Joggler Ubuntu.

1 - Homeseer 3 - needs Mono - Mono eats utilization on the Joggler - It has a custom web interface which works fine locally or remotely.
2 - OpenHab Version 1 - worked fine for me
3 - HomeGenie - worked fine for me - it is Mono dependant
4 - Domoticz - lately playing with it and it's based on Lua (C) and has no Mono Dependences and is fast.

Doing lighting automation here with X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee. Hard wired sensors to alarm panel. Hard wired thermostat (serial) and temperature and humidity sensors (propietary and 1-wire). Try to keep automation at home and have no wireless automation dependencies or cloud dependencies. I do tinker with it...Smartthings Hub, Amazon Alexa, Almond +, et al.

Relating to ZWave you can build a remote POE connected network ZWave device installing a ZWave GPIO card inside of a RPi and do the same today for a remote Zigbee device. You can do same with serial X10, UPB and Insteon. Then utilize ser2net to access the serial device on the RPi2-3. Here have mine mounted inside of the attic of a two story home. The device has worked great now for over 2 years (with really high temperatures in the summer and very low temperatures in the winter). This would be similar to a non cloud connected DIY automation hub / controller.

Currently utilizing 15 Seabios'd Jogglers running embedded Wintel as touchscreen consoles for my automation today. These are modded with internal SSD drives, Realtek NIC firmware, Seabios instead of EFI use, POE GB connected or Wireless.

Been working on the thermostat touch screen here lately.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
truxntrax

Post by truxntrax »

Interesting... At the moment I'm using Aqara switches, yeelight and hacked amazon dash buttons. Also plan to use a nodemcu unit to make my existing hardwired security system "smart".

Just need the joggler as a control interface...

I'll see if I have any luck with Firefox.

(Also I tried using the Opera browser on pnp OS - same issue, wouldn't render page).

Zwave is probably next for me.

T
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah here tinkering a bit with mosquitto and mtqq stuff on the RPi. I have a few Arduino things around but I wanted to try the macro versions that I could see easier.

Relating to my home automation I have a touchscreen designer that only runs in Windows and writes to Windows, iOS, Android and Linux clients.

I have a PipoX7 here that has a Baytrail and 2Gb of RAM. For touch it runs Windows and Linux really fast.

Main automation mothership is using a mini ITX Haswell chipset iSeries board with 16Gb of RAM running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit Linux and Oracle W7 Virtual box doing Microsoft SAPI (speaking in tongues here as I collect voice fonts).

For a bit here switched from using Firefox to Opera as the ad blocking ad blockers scripting was working well in Opera.

Ubuntu runs much faster on the SSD drive than the USB drive which might help you. Even a USB to SSD drive is faster than a USB stick.

For a bit I was using Kingspec true SSD USB sticks...I do not see them around lately....they were about the same size as an SSD drive; big USB stick. I was able to fit them inside of the Joggler removing their shell / case leaving the SSD board open and using that yellow tape to shield them a bit.

For security here utilize a combination security automation panel called the OmniPro 2 from Leviton. Well over 10 years now.

It is old and a bit slow running everything in firmware. That said there is no combo panel other than the ELK M1 panel that matches what the Omni Pro 2 panel can do today. Original panel was from the 1990's and only control was via a serial link and it only talked X10 back then.

Give me a link example on the internet here to try with my Ubuntu Joggler running off an SSD drive please.

Here is what I am playing with:

root@joggler:~# uname -a
Linux joggler 3.2.81joggler1 #48 SMP Fri Jul 1 23:38:41 UTC 2016 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

root@joggler:~# lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

Thinking I removed Chrome from the build...

root@joggler:~# firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 58.0

Do one of these to check speeds of media.

Here is SSD
root@joggler:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda3

/dev/sda3:
Timing cached reads: 908 MB in 2.00 seconds = 453.44 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 154 MB in 3.01 seconds = 51.22 MB/sec

Here is USB
root@joggler:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/uba1

/dev/uba1:
Timing cached reads: 870 MB in 2.00 seconds = 435.02 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 26 MB in 3.22 seconds = 8.09 MB/sec

Here is eMMC (note that the Joggler has a 1Gb eMMC drive and the Openpeak 2 has a 2Gb eMMC drive).

root@joggler:/dev# hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk0p1

/dev/mmcblk0p1:
Timing cached reads: 928 MB in 2.00 seconds = 463.79 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 48 MB in 3.05 seconds = 15.72 MB/sec
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
truxntrax

Post by truxntrax »

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I will try an ssd. At the moment I'm only testing and doing a Poc.

I can't find a demo link to a homeassistant webpage/ control panel, without providing you my external IP - which isn't a wise move to post in a public forum,

Not really sure why the page doesn't display on the joggler browser, works fine on tablets/ ios, windows and Linux.

I'll try Firefox and report back.

Thanks

T
pete

Post by pete »

@T,

I will give a spin to Home Assistant here.

I see two guides for Ubuntu. Which one did you install?
- Pete

Auto mater
truxntrax

Post by truxntrax »

Hmmm. I don't remember. Not hass.io. Not docker.
Home tomorrow so can try Firefox...
T
pete

Post by pete »

Test installed it on my Joggler / SSD.

Local desktop / RDP desktop worked fine with Chrome and Firefox.

Didn't really do anything special.
homeassistentjoggler.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
truxntrax

Post by truxntrax »

Pete,

Thanks.

Just installed FF and yes, it works fine. However still doesn't work for me in Chrome...

Forgot how hard it is to scroll up and down the screen using the touch interface. Don't think it's going to pass the wife test. Perhaps I will use some cheap amazon tablets as other on the HA forums have done.

Very much appreciate your help - and interesting to see it installed on the joggler!

T
pete

Post by pete »

Thinking that Chrome is a bit fatter than Firefox these days.

It is difficult to scroll up and down a screen here. I cheated above using a wireless Logitech mouse.

Touch works better in Windows 10, Android, iOS and newer versions of Ubuntu.

Slower than Home Assistant here were Mono based applications.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

pete wrote:Thinking that Chrome is a bit fatter than Firefox these days.

It is difficult to scroll up and down a screen here. I cheated above using a wireless Logitech mouse.

Touch works better in Windows 10, Android, iOS and newer versions of Ubuntu.

Slower than Home Assistant here were Mono based applications.
Nice work Pete :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling