X86 Honeycomb now available - could this be ported?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jazzmista

X86 Honeycomb now available - could this be ported?

Post by jazzmista »

I mentioned this in an earlier post appealing for information on how to port operating systems to the Joggler, but I didn't get any replies so I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to Honeycomb on the Joggler.

The below disk image has been posted on the Android X86 Google Code downloads page - it is an apparently fully working version of Honeycomb for the Tega v2, which seems to have similar specs to our Jogglers (Atom processor). Would it be possible to get this running on a Joggler? I could lend a hand with the porting but I'm not sure where to start... I'm a fast learner though!

Android X86 ISO Download-http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/do ... o&can=2&q=
Tega v2 Specifications (scroll to the bottom)-http://www.tegav2.com/

edit edited title to make it more true to the purpose of this thread, and to make it not sound like a plea without any means of getting it on the Joggler.
jp_hero

Re: X86 Honeycomb now available - could this be ported?

Post by jp_hero »

jazzmista wrote:I mentioned this in an earlier post appealing for information on how to port operating systems to the Joggler, but I didn't get any replies so I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to Honeycomb on the Joggler.

The below disk image has been posted on the Android X86 Google Code downloads page - it is an apparently fully working version of Honeycomb for the Tega v2, which seems to have similar specs to our Jogglers (Atom processor). Would it be possible to get this running on a Joggler? I could lend a hand with the porting but I'm not sure where to start... I'm a fast learner though!

Android X86 ISO Download-http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/do ... o&can=2&q=
Tega v2 Specifications (scroll to the bottom)-http://www.tegav2.com/

edit edited title to make it more true to the purpose of this thread, and to make it not sound like a plea without any means of getting it on the Joggler.
Interesting find. The previous versions of Android have been variations on other images from that website. They have just released release candidates for Android 2.3 for the tegra platform. This image is not mentioned anywhere on their site. If this is Honeycomb I imagine it will be very buggy. I think either they got the 2.3 jumbled and typed 3.2 or ideally this is actually 3.2.
People have ported Honeycomb to the Dell Inspiron Duo so it can be done, this image could easily be what they used.

The one way to find out what it is would be to download it. Write the .iso image to a usb drive using a program like unetbootin and then plug it into your Joggler and cross all of your fingers. As to what will happen then I am not sure. On your head be it.
The other Android images all had other work done to them to make them slightly more stable, so I imagine this would need work if it works.
Let me know how you get on. Feel free to PM me if you need help. I will have a go at this myself this weekend.

James
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

jp_hero wrote: Interesting find. The previous versions of Android have been variations on other images from that website. They have just released release candidates for Android 2.3 for the tegra platform. This image is not mentioned anywhere on their site. If this is Honeycomb I imagine it will be very buggy. I think either they got the 2.3 jumbled and typed 3.2 or ideally this is actually 3.2.
People have ported Honeycomb to the Dell Inspiron Duo so it can be done, this image could easily be what they used.

The one way to find out what it is would be to download it. Write the .iso image to a usb drive using a program like unetbootin and then plug it into your Joggler and cross all of your fingers. As to what will happen then I am not sure. On your head be it.
The other Android images all had other work done to them to make them slightly more stable, so I imagine this would need work if it works.
Let me know how you get on. Feel free to PM me if you need help. I will have a go at this myself this weekend.

James
Thanks for that - would I need to get one of the Joggler EFI setups from the wiki for this to run or should it work without the EFI partition etc.?
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

Nope, not a misnumbering, actual 3.2 with market!:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... Ez26esHqsJ
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

i have tried to get this booting on the joggler with no success, good luck to anyone who takes this on!
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

danfoshizzle wrote:i have tried to get this booting on the joggler with no success, good luck to anyone who takes this on!
The only thing I've managed to get this to boot on so far is Virtualbox! Runs very smoothly with 512mb ram though... ;-)
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

I've figured out why this doesn't boot... I decompiled the image and it hasn't got a boot method that will work on the Joggler (there is a separate .img file for booting in a folder called [BOOT]). If we can get a working EFI attached to it and we recompile it then it might boot then.

Also, should we set up a Google Code or Github repo for this so we can share code snippets, findings etc.?
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

willing to help out along with windows, honeycomb would be frickin awesome on the joggler, maybe you should try the boot files from mijuu build on the android thread?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

danfoshizzle wrote:willing to help out along with windows, honeycomb would be frickin awesome on the joggler, maybe you should try the boot files from mijuu build on the android thread?
Good idea, i'll try and dig the image out (changed computer a few days ago and haven't sorted out folder organization yet :-(). I'll set up a Google Code project now.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeah let me know how you get on
more to come!!

jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

I've dug out the Android 2.2 image and I've extracted it. The image is partitioned so the inside the image there are 0.fat, 1.img, 2.fat and 3 (which doesn't have a file extension). I've managed to extract 0.fat and inside it lies the bootloader (preconfigured for Android - yay!) and a directory called Android, which the bootloader boots to. Inside it contains all the Android system files (which are pretty much the same as the Android 3.2 system files.) I've replaced those files with the ones I obtained from the Tega 3.2 build, and I am currently trying to find a way to make them back in to a FAT file so I can flash it to the first partition of the USB drive. Wish me luck...
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

jazzmista wrote:I've dug out the Android 2.2 image and I've extracted it. The image is partitioned so the inside the image there are 0.fat, 1.img, 2.fat and 3 (which doesn't have a file extension). I've managed to extract 0.fat and inside it lies the bootloader (preconfigured for Android - yay!) and a directory called Android, which the bootloader boots to. Inside it contains all the Android system files (which are pretty much the same as the Android 3.2 system files.) I've replaced those files with the ones I obtained from the Tega 3.2 build, and I am currently trying to find a way to make them back in to a FAT file so I can flash it to the first partition of the USB drive. Wish me luck...
I put it all on a USB stick but it's not booting :-(
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

I had another look at this yesterday and it still won't boot - has anyone been successful with this? (in other words, a shameless *bump*)
anonyx

Post by anonyx »

This could be the gamechanger we've been looking for, I don't think i can help, my knowledge in this area is fairly limited but this running smoothly could be incredible!
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

anonyx wrote:This could be the gamechanger we've been looking for, I don't think i can help, my knowledge in this area is fairly limited but this running smoothly could be incredible!
It would if we could get it to work! :-)
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

Still no joy on this - has anybody managed to get this to boot!
Probably going to start work on a Gingerbread port instead as the source seems to be readily available for it. Anyone interested?
popoyaya

Post by popoyaya »

The source for honeycomb has now been released along with ICS.

Now ICS would be nice!
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

popoyaya wrote:The source for honeycomb has now been released along with ICS.

Now ICS would be nice!
Agreed, it would be nice, but the x86 conversion for ICS hasn't been released yet (though there were rumours of ICS being x86 compatible natively), so I cannot put it on the Joggler.