Installing Windows 10 IoT

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
trs79

Installing Windows 10 IoT

Post by trs79 »

Has anyone tried installing Windows 10 IoT on a joggler? I have an OpenFrame 2.0 that I'd like to try this on (I need to be able to run a USB audio DAC that only has Windows drivers). The thing I'm most unsure about is how to get it to boot IoT. I would appreciate any tips.
Man in a van

Re: Installing Windows 10 IoT

Post by Man in a van »

Can't help regarding the install but I am curious about the dac.

What yer got?

ronnie
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Is XP no good? W10 works but only on a modified core boot / sea bios and using a fast SSD usb .
MickChip is your man

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

So you are referring to the Openpeak 2 (large one with speakers on the front?)

This one will work in Wintel with SeaBios installed on it.....it'll boot fine from a USB stick.

That said it has a soldered on boot rom chip so go slow with it. I have had issues with the audio chip not being recognized by Windows but never have tried Windows 10 on it. Buzz's Ubuntu works great on these devices.

Easier to play with is the Openpeak 1 (smaller one) with looks like the O2 Joggler. Inside you will find a ZIF connector and removable boot rom.

I am still using embedded XP with these for kiosks / touchscreen interfaces to my automation. I was going to move my car PCs to this OS and am on the fence relating to either embedded wintel or linux on the car PC.

W7e also works fine. I have only tried Windows 8 E and it was OK. I would like to give Windows 10E enterprise a spin. I see the announcements on the MS dev sites but no testing download links.

You will need to build the Wintel 10 iOT using the Intel base / dashboard stuff versus the Arm based stuff.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Can't help regarding the install but I am curious about the dac.

What yer got?
I was actually thinking of the MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC which uses an Amanero USB chipset. Linux support for DSD512 on this chipset is apparently being worked on, but has some issues at the moment (see https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd) I ended up purchasing a SMSL M8A (which uses XMOS) and that is working great on the OpenFrame, with full DSD512 support under Linux.

To make this work I installed SqueezeplayOS (latest version on the website). Then I downloaded the kernel sources for 3.19 and applied the Joggler patches from http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... 3.19.4op1/. I had to add the usb ID of the M8A to sound/usb/quirks.c, then compiled the kernel. I then downloaded a source package for libasound2 1.0.27.2 and applied the patches from https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-nati ... s/alsa-lib.

I also had to install a special version of squeezelite that supported native DSD (https://github.com/marcoc1712/squeezelite-R2). I used the "Play_DSD_decoded_by_Mansr_sox" branch. After booting into the new kernel, I could play .dsf files without any issues. I basically had to tweak SqueezeplayOS and disable Jive, then installed Jivelite and Squeezelite.

So you are referring to the Openpeak 2 (large one with speakers on the front?)

This one will work in Wintel with SeaBios installed on it.....it'll boot fine from a USB stick.
Yeah this one has the speakers on the front. Now that I have the DAC working under Linux I don't have the immediate need for Windows, but it's interesting to see how to do it.