Satelite Navigation on the Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jogglerhase

Picture of my setup

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi everyone;
I like the XP-Nav system so much in my car, I wanted to share a picture.
I removed the Joggler stand (So far, heat dissipation is no problem) and the system sits snuggly rigtht in front of the gear shift - very good visibility from the drivers seat.

Also, a note regarding crashes when cranking the engine: With the 2000µF caps alone, I still get about 1 crash with every 5 engine starts.
Now, I added ferrite cores: 1 in the 12 V line (in front of the power adaptor) and 1 in the 5 Volt line, right at the Joggler.
So far, this looks promising.

Also, I use the Joggler in this setup as an MP3 Player via Windows Media Player, which runs nicely in parallel to IGO.
So we can listen to audiobooks etc. (on an additional USB stick pluggeed in the hub) while beeing guided by the friendly IGO voice.
All the audio is fed into my std. car-radio (via Jogglers headphone out to aux input of the radio).
The mevi-XP 'bug' that using the heaphone out does not mute the internal speakrs is in this case a good feature in that the audio directions are not gone in case I switch off the radio.

This setup upgrades our cheap little Toyota so much, that I hope it does not get stolen now. :lol:
DSC_3247.jpg
Heiner
hawsey

Re: Satelite Navigation on the Joggler

Post by hawsey »

Nice work Heiner , thanks for sharing , that fits in great .Have you a photo of the capacitor work you have done ?
I am a bit green with car electronics , obviously the red wire comes from the fuse , does the black just attach to the car body ? I know I could look this up elsewhere ha ha but just asking :-)
Would these work for me do you think ?

INIBUD 4 x Universal Add A Circuit Car Mini Blade Fuse Holder Adapter APS ATT Piggy Back Tap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E3PQWUE/ ... cyb13SM99E

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

hawsey wrote:Nice work Heiner , thanks for sharing , that fits in great .Have you a photo of the capacitor work you have done ?
I am a bit green with car electronics , obviously the red wire comes from the fuse , does the black just attach to the car body ? I know I could look this up elsewhere ha ha but just asking :-)
Would these work for me do you think ?
INIBUD 4 x Universal Add A Circuit Car Mini Blade Fuse Holder Adapter APS ATT Piggy Back Tap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E3PQWUE/ ... cyb13SM99E
Yes, I think, these would work well. (Note however that you need an 'alwas on' Fuse slot, if you dont want your joggler to loose power when you kill the engine.
-> I have the Joggler on an always on 12V slot and a manual switch in that line.)
And for the black wire, car body is good as well (at least thats what worked for me).

I don't have a Photo of the capacitors, because I installed them inside of the Joggler:
They are residing in the spot where the WLAN USB card used to be (which I pulled, as I don't need it in the car).
Wiring them up is pretty simple: capacitor '+' goes to the red power wire in the Joggler, '-' goes to the black one.

Also, as stated earlier, 2000µF was not enough for me.
Maybe using ferrite cores like in the picture in the 12 and 5 Volt line will help, but I did not do enough testing.
61o7Pw9-umL._SL256_.jpg
61o7Pw9-umL._SL256_.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 11297 times
Good luck!
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

That looks really good, still in the middle of constructing mine, having it with a 32gb pata ssd, internal gps + wifi & Bluetooth.
On another note I have built another XP_NAV on virtualbox but can't get it to start on the joggler ( EFI or Seabios ) but it works on the viliv and the Samsung Q1 ultra.
I will keep trying.
Attachments
bd.JPG
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That looks snazzy Mick :-)

Happy Joggling
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

jogglerhase wrote:....as stated earlier, 2000µF was not enough for me.
Maybe using ferrite cores like in the picture in the 12 and 5 Volt line will help, but I did not do enough testing.
61o7Pw9-umL._SL256_.jpg
Well, it didn't help.... still occasional crashes when cranking the car....

Now, I ordered one of these:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/122001254354?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT
to add 470.000µF to my previous 2.000µF in hte 5V line....
I'll keep you posted.
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Coming soon, well maybe not so soon, will be on holiday from tomorrow for 23 nights.
Here's a taster of whats to come, based on Mevi's XP
Attachments
jogglerXP2.jpg
jogglerXP.jpg
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Looks a great build mickchip , enjoy your holls , nice break that :-) .
Hopefully I'll have my power sorted by then .

Happy Joggling
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

mickchip wrote:Coming soon, well maybe not so soon, will be on holiday from tomorrow for 23 nights.
Here's a taster of whats to come, based on Mevi's XP
Have fun on your vacation!

I am looking forward to your new build - it looks great!!!
(I am trying to get an USB SSD, to see, if I can get this corebios build running....)

Ah - one question to your builds: You always include Squezeplay - what are you using it for in this car setup? Do you have LogitechMediaServer also running in your car?
Am I mising something?

On another note:
My powersupply is now 'engine-crank-save'!
I tried it around 20 times (stopping and starting the engine while the Joggler is powered up): No crashes anymore!
Adding the 0.47F 'Goldcap' did the trick.

See below a sketch on how my power supply is now wired up (the ferrite cores in teh 12V and 5 V line are still in, but I doubt that I need them:
All the best,
Heiner
Attachments
powerwiring.jpg
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for sharing that diagram , is there any logic to the capacitors ? or is it just the bigger the better ?
Also are your ferrite cores wrapped around the live , neutral or both ?
I ordered some mini fuses with live wires attatched as i dont want to tamper with the vehicle :-)
They have arrived and look pretty good so will try soon and report back ....
For 12v to 5v i am using a multi volt selector cigarette lighter socket supply .
Happy Joggling
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

hawsey wrote:Thanks for sharing that diagram , is there any logic to the capacitors ? or is it just the bigger the better ?
Also are your ferrite cores wrapped around the live , neutral or both ?
I ordered some mini fuses with live wires attatched as i dont want to tamper with the vehicle :-)
They have arrived and look pretty good so will try soon and report back ....
For 12v to 5v i am using a multi volt selector cigarette lighter socket supply .
Reg. the caps: Bigger is always better :D
But also, you can calculate what you need:
C = I * t / U or t(time) = C * U / I
So I guestimated that I need to cover t = 0,5 sec of power outage when cranking. Also, I assumed the joggler needs I = 3 Amps @ U = 5 Volts (There are measurements in the wiki - also the official power supply is rated with 4 Amps). That brings you somewhere to C = 0,5F
(Note: I never could measure the actual drop - I even tried with an Arduino capturing the Voltage with a high sample rate. Maybe, because it happens so erratic)

Reg. the ferrite cores: Both the life and ground wire get looped around the core.

Then reg. your power supply: Make sure it can provide around 3 Amps. Otherwise, you will fry it or the Joggler sooner or later.

Good luck!!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks , yeah the supply works fine , it's just the supply I need to sort as it goes off with the engine at the moment , I've got a few caps lying around , I'll try those first ;-)

Happy Joggling
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi everyone;
just wanted to share that I bought a 'real' USB SSD stick for trying again to run Mickchips Navi XP via coreboot.
-> Still - no success. :-(

Although I could confirm that it is a 'real' USB SSD and not a std. USB memory stick:
2 partitions on the stick were accessible on my windows machine.
(USB memory sticks can only show 1 partition at a time to windows)
Also, w/ std. EFI the stick boots like a charm - but not via coreboot.
(Coreboot does not even see the stick at 1st boot. Only, if I hit F12 and reboot, it sees it.
Then, Windows XP boots, buthanbgs / crashes exactly as I described before w/ a std. stick.

It drives me nuts to not understand why this works for Mickchip and pete, but not for me - even with this USB SSD....

Anyway - other than that Mickchips Navi XP works nicely in my car - Thanks, Mickchip!

(I am still really curious about the teaser you showed earlier.....)
jogglerhase

Re: Satelite Navigation on the Joggler- power supply

Post by jogglerhase »

Before anybody tries to replicate my 'success': Here is an update reg. Joggler 5 Volt power supply in a car:
My setup still does not work reliable - Joggler still crashes occasionally when cranking the car engine....

What I found out:
These 'Super caps' (Goldcaps, ...) I am using have a too high internal resistance, thus can not generate the current the joggler needs....
-> I need to use electrolytic capacitors...

Also, I think it will be better to add these in the 12Volte line, since voltage drops immediately when a current is drawn from the capacitor.
So, in the 12Volt line, it can drop until ~6V and the 5V regulator still can regulate to 5V.
If I would add it to the 5 Volt line, Voltage drops and the Joggler is fed with a too low voltage (and crashes)

So, next step is adding the cap in the 12Volt line. (And I need to figure out what capacitance I will use)
Also, I need to add a strong diode, so the cap is not sucked empty by the crank-motor instead of the joggler....

I keep you posted...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks , I've got all the stuff ready to solder but need an iron dont think I'll bother with the caps .

Happy Joggling
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

I think we will need some cap.
I finally managed to trace the voltage drop when cranking the engine!
It is so short that my initial Arduino setup did not catch it.
Now I changed the code to do some quicker sampling - and I catched it - see graph.
The voltage drops down to 0 Volts - even though I added 2000µF in the 12Volt line.
But: It only drops briefly and recoveres already after ~ 30msec!!

I used this web-page to calculate what we capacitance I need to cover these 30msecs:
http://wetec.vrok.de/rechner/cclad.htm

-> I need around 20.000µF to cover 2 Amps for ~50msecs.
-> I ordererd 2 x 22.000µF electrolyte caps (just to be save).
These will only arrive in 1 week.... I am really curious, if this will finally work.....

Heiner
Attachments
5Vcrank_drop_real.jpg
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Good work Heiner :-) keep us updated .
Hope it works .

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

The sure bet way might be to install a tank battery which is charged by the car's main battery and then have the Joggler do a shutdown when the car is powered off. That and writing a rom to the nic would work as it will always error out when booting even if you do not use it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That would do the trick Pete .

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

You could utilize a small notebook lithium battery and diy a charging circuit for it and run the Joggler off of the Lithium battery and add a timed shutdown when the main accessory power is off.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater