Satelite Navigation on the Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: Satelite Navigation on the Joggler

Post by hawsey »

Nice one EfrenB well done and welcome :-)
What build did you use ?
Any photos . .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

pete wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:41 am Here run Tardis. Set Tardis to be a service and get the time from the GPS. I run a boot up script to sync the time and date after seeding a date/time.

@echo off
time 15:05
date 1/03/2015
net stop "Tardis time service"
PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 15000 > NUL
net start "Tardis time service"
Hello all;
I wasn't here quite a time - so I hope, all are well.

A question to Pete:
I wanted to try the Tardis Program you mentioned for setting time and date after boot.
(Since the program I mentioned earlier only corrects time, not date)

So, I got Tardis running getting data from my GPS, but it also does not want to change the date.
(I give windows a seed date, but still)
I also see an option in Tardis, where you can select the max time difference it will correct - but the max setting for that is 1 hour - so that it will only correct within 1 hour difference.
So my question: Does Tardis set the date correctly for you?
If so: How did you do it?
:-)

*edit: It does not change date or time..... somethings not working right.... It tried both 'as a service' and as a program.

(Putting a RTC in the Joggler would be an alternative path. But I don't want to do that.)

Other than that my Joggler Navi works still great in my car. So big thanks to Mickchip!
(About once or twice per year the Windows partition gets corrupted and hangs during boot. But I just reflash that USB stick with the backup and use that occasion to update the maps. And thats it.)
pete

Post by pete »

I run a script as the Joggler boots in to XPe here...and time it all with the R2 startup delayer...which is free..and I delay the script launch for 5 seconds after booting...and you can then also start iGo after a bit like 7 seconds...

So then the script is edited...for only the date..

@echo off
REM time 15:05
date 1/03/2017
net start "Tardis time service

For tardis setting the time settings...
anything goes X2
every hour

Here thinking of switching over to a custom car pc KODI build...and running iGo from there...with an iBus connection...
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

pete wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:29 am I run a script as the Joggler boots in to XPe here...and time it all with the R2 startup delayer...which is free..and I delay the script launch for 5 seconds after booting...and you can then also start iGo after a bit like 7 seconds...

So then the script is edited...for only the date..

@echo off
REM time 15:05
date 1/03/2017
net start "Tardis time service

anything goes X2
every hour

Here thinking of switching over to a custom car pc KODI build...and running iGo from there...with an iBus connection...
Thanks for your feedback, Pete!

Unfortunately, I am still at a loss....
1st of all: I do not have issues w/ the start and delay scripts - that works fine.
Its the service / program itself.
Therefor:
Can you elaborate what you mean by:
anything goes X2
every hour
What are you referring to here?
The "Setting the Time" Tab of the Tardis Options? What are all your settings there?
And do you really get the date updated via Tardis?

Also: Which Tardis version are you running? Tardis 2000 V1.6?

Thanks again for your help!
All the best, Heiner
pete

Post by pete »

Can you elaborate what you mean by:

These are the settings in the Tardis service configuration.

The windows batch script seeds a newer date.

Guessing that Tardis reads the GPZDA sentence which includes both date and time cuz I see it correcting when it boots..it is not an instant thing ....takes a bit of time.

GPZDA

Date & Time

UTC, day, month, year, and local time zone.

$--ZDA,hhmmss.ss,xx,xx,xxxx,xx,xx hhmmss.ss = UTC xx = Day, 01 to 31 xx = Month, 01 to 12 xxxx = Year xx = Local zone description, 00 to +/- 13 hours xx = Local zone minutes description (same sign as hours)

Personally I would put a manual delay in so that the GPS syncs to the satellites first. It is really fast today. On my firewall I have the satellite antenna in the basement on a window ledge facing south and see 15 satellites and syncing on 6-8 of them. The USB GPS would sync up in a minute or two. No GPS NMEA sentences no sync.

Well here too have put in an srom bios in all of the included Joggler realtek NICs even though they are not utilized such there the network card doesn't error out on cold boot. On the larger Openpeak 2 with speakers everything worked fine except for the sound drivers that I cannot get to work (well I did once).
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Testing here without a wireless / network connection and cold boot.

Configured Tardis to be both an NTP server and NTP client.

It's takes a bit but does change the time and date. Thinking it is relating to the syncing of the satellite....looks like when the USB GPS stick starts to blink then the time/date get adjusted.

Trying again to get a time from boot to sync.

Test #1
Unplugged Joggler
11:08 AM -plugged in Joggler
11:09 AM - time and date sync'd

Test #2
Shut Down Joggler
Unplugged
11:13 AM - plugged in Joggler - GPS USB stick blinking within 20 seconds
11:14 AM - date went to current date around 10 seconds after booting desktop

Test #3
Shut down Joggler
Unplugged
11:16 AM - plugged in Joggler - GPS USB Stick blinking withing 20 seconds
11:18 AM - date went from year 5592 to 2017 within about a minute.
- Pete

Auto mater