Satelite Navigation on the Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jogglerhase

Re: Satelite Navigation on the Joggler

Post by jogglerhase »

By the way: I found on this site a nice little (500kB!) program, which uses the time from the GPS dongle to adjust the PC time.
It works, so the IGO knows when its day or night and sets the map color accordingly automatically.
(It only adjusts time - not date)
https://www.coaa.co.uk/gpstime.htm
I will try later, if I can start it via scheduler somewhere during startup - after the GPS dongle is active.
Last edited by jogglerhase on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you jogglerhase!

Here used to use Tardis for this stuff way long time ago.

I am in to time a bit and today utilize a GPS for the NTP server running on my PFSense firewall.

My running 15 automation Jogglers typically run a time screen saver (old flip clock) here mostly (well and videos and pictures on some of them).

The current carpc(s) and automobile GPS does not do a time sync via GPS which annoys me.

I never would have thought of using a large capacitor for suspend mode on the Joggler. Today my in house Jogglers are using POE. Suspend works but prefer here just to shut off the LCD displays at night. The automobile though is way different relating to power.

BTW try the newest mickchip seabios XP build as it worked for me out of the box as mentioned above.

Old cheapo tiny USB hub, old USB stick and an even older MS USB keyboard.

Next steps here is to connect a GPS. I have a box of these somewhere around here.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Just a note about the Win10_nav, mine doesn't crash when I minimise iGO and I can start Squeezeplay select some music and go back to the navigation.
Works just the same as in XP.
Jogglermaniac
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

pete wrote:....
I never would have thought of using a large capacitor for suspend mode on the Joggler. .....
Just so there is no misunderstanding: I use these not for suspend mode, but to filter out powerglitches, i.e. due to cranking the engine.
Common situation: Joggler/IGO is running and you need to stop for gas, cut off the engine (Joggler stays on as it is connected to 12V always on), and when you are done you start the car while the Joggler is on.
Without the lrg caps my joggler crashed - with them not! (I use 2 x 1000µF, 16V - but there are even 0,46F 5,5V caps available)
pete

Post by pete »

Ahhh...thank you jogglerhase.

Yeah the Pico PSU's have the built in surge stuff and allow for a timely shutdown.

Are you using the 12VDC to 5VDC transformer that Mickchip mentioned earlier in the thread?

How do you connect the caps? Do you connect them on the 5VDC or 12VDC side?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just tried the XP nav SeaBios and no good for me either , first tried with a Lexar 32 GB and it comes up with the XP boot up screen saying there has been a power down and XP will re boot in 30 seconds , if you leave it , it hangs and never boots , just the XP screen with the bar
So then I tried it on my SSD with USB adapter cable but exactly the same :-(
Is this what happens for you , Jogglerhase ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Try a different USB port
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've tried straight in to the side and port 4 on the Trust USB hub , every time it comes up with There has been a power fail start Windows normal or Safe mode etc , then it just hangs , this is the latest image you pm ed for Sea/Core boot , can you try writing it to a stick and see if you can boot it Mike .

Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Boots OK on mine, but the is definately somthing amiss, after a while the taskbar disappears for some reason.
Attachments
XP_NAV.jpg
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Very weird that , the W10 image you built boots no bother .

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

@hawsey

Just tried the XP nav SeaBios and no good for me either , first tried with a Lexar 32 GB and it comes up with the XP boot up screen saying there has been a power down and XP will re boot in 30 seconds , if you leave it , it hangs and never boots , just the XP screen with the bar

Been goofing a bit and on one boot similar happened here.

Next boot I tried safe mode and it booted fine. I rebooted it then again and it booted normal.

@mickchip

Boots OK on mine, but the is definately somthing amiss, after a while the taskbar disappears for some reason.

Yes noticed that there was no task bar on the bottom here too.

Tried something just now and it looks to have worked.

I did a control alt delete and looked at services running, killed explorer and manually started and the task bar came back.

I then rebooted it a couple of times and the task bar now is there with every boot.

Nevermind. Those were warm reboots. I did a cold reboot and the task bar disappeared again.
- Pete

Auto mater
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

hawsey wrote:Just tried the XP nav SeaBios and no good for me either , first tried with a Lexar 32 GB and it comes up with the XP boot up screen saying there has been a power down and XP will re boot in 30 seconds , if you leave it , it hangs and never boots , just the XP screen with the bar
So then I tried it on my SSD with USB adapter cable but exactly the same :-(
Is this what happens for you , Jogglerhase?
That is exactly what happens to me, too!
I am sorry, that you seem to see the same issues - but at least it looks like something reproducable now with both of of seeing this.

I start to believe that we are dealing w/ small hardware differences of the jogglers causing this.
People here on the forum & the wiki talk about Openframe 1 "O2 Jogglers" and "Open Peak Jogglers": I.e. in the Wiki for XP build:
"Due to subtle differences in either hardware or firmware between O2 & Open Peak Jogglers, some builds will detect hardware differently. "
-> How can I see what kind of Joggler I have? May be that causes the different behaviors?
The plastic back of both of my jogglers states "O2 Joggler" - is that what you guys have also?
(Note: On my jogglers - due to multiple firmware flashing from different sources, the Boot Logo (O2 or openPeak) is not an indication anymore....even the screen of one is already replaced - which I think I got from you, hawsey :-) )

@ Pete:
I am using a cheap (6$) china 12 to 5V / 5A Adapter:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/141814284723?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT
which works nicely so far.
And the lrg caps are installed on the 5 V side.

Now, I need to take a little break (~1 day) from happy joggling, since I neglected a lot of other stuff in the last days......

Thanks again to all of you - its nice to have fellow tinkerers here in the forum.
(I find it so much more rewarding to create something from used / available parts than just buying something new)

Talk to you soon!
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you jogglerhase.

There are a few differences between the O2 Jogglers and the Openpeak devices.

Outside it is just the embedded on plastic logo. The O2's have an O2 on the plastic and the Openpeak has Openpeak on the plastic.

Inside the Openpeak uses a metal heatsink across the entire motherboard. The small Joggler looking Openpeak also has a DECT & USB added audio and Zigbee radio inside. The larger Openpeak (with speakers in front) has a 2Gb RW chip versus a 1 Gb RAM chip. The EFI boot is similar and I have been able to use the Joggler EFI boot stuff just fine. The larger one also has a mini pcie card and combo WLAN/Bluetooth card installed. All of the models though have been picky with USB boot media / USB hubs / keyboards type of stuff. That and over time the constant RW to the ROM / Flash can take a toll on the devices. BUT you cannot break them as you can do a blind typing to boot an EFI partition from a USB stick. The whole booting to XP from EFI was a customized set of 2-3 files modded by a person in the pacific rim. That said it is also first generation of an EFI boot process. Another thing to watch is that the Joggler always powers off the USB port and powers it on when booting from a USB stick. This can cause issues with the boot process. The lingering XP booting you are seeing relates to the order of the drivers being loaded. Try booting using F8 to safe mode. Wait a bit and watch it boot. It will fix itself. Then try a warm normal boot.

My original USB booting Jogglers here I left on 24/7. I started here with a regular USB stick, then went to the Kingspec SSD stick and finally to a USB to SSD device which I fitted inside of the Joggler using a wired 3rd USB port. Still caused some issues; but it was fast. This was only using the USB XP booting software (Mevi XP).

Over time switched over to just using ZIF connected SSD drives fitted inside of the Joggler. Today all of them are configured this way and I have written a MAC address to all of them.

Then one test Openpeak I have hardware modified it with an RTC clock and a 5 port USB hub connected to a 3rd set of USB wires on the motherboard. It also has an updated NIC ROm. This one only runs Buzz's Ubuntu build on the EFI boot.
- Pete

Auto mater
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

pete wrote:...
There are a few differences between the O2 Jogglers and the Openpeak devices.

Outside it is just the embedded on plastic logo. The O2's have an O2 on the plastic and the Openpeak has Openpeak on the plastic.
Inside the Openpeak uses a metal heatsink across the entire motherboard. The small Joggler looking Openpeak also has a DECT & USB added audio and Zigbee radio inside. ....

Another thing to watch is that the Joggler always powers off the USB port and powers it on when booting from a USB stick. This can cause issues with the boot process. The lingering XP booting you are seeing relates to the order of the drivers being loaded. Try booting using F8 to safe mode. Wait a bit and watch it boot. It will fix itself. Then try a warm normal boot.
Thanks, Pete.

I guess, I have "O2" Jogglers then. How about you, Mickchip & Hawsay?

Regarding the bold stuff above: I already tried to go via safe mode:
The system seems to crash at or after loading driver WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys
(If I rename Mup.sys, it crasches at the driver listed before Mup.sys (1394BUS.sys) so I belief it is something after Mup.sys, which makes it crash....)

Anyway - currently, I made my peace with running XP std. EFi boot.

Also, I got the time/date adjustment automated (with a fake date, but correct time) - using the earlier quoted program:
https://www.coaa.co.uk/gpstime.htm and this batch file in the Autostart folder:

Code: Select all

@echo Off
Date 11/11/2016
 start "" "C:\Program Files\COAA\GPSTime\GPStime.exe" /auto
 start "" "C:\Program Files\Backlight\JogglerBlCtrl.exe" 100
TIMEOUT 5
taskkill /IM GPStime.exe 
(This also set the screen brighness high - 2 times, in case the 1st gives an error; also I kill the GPStime program, because otherwise it would conflict with IGO accessing the GPS)
Heiner
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

At the moment I am using these USB 3.0 Trancend Jetflash 780's 16gb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-JetF ... tflash+780
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 11099 times
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

@jogglerhase , all my Jogglers are the same as yours , none with open peak on them .Nice to know the screen is still working good :-)
Once I get permanent power sorted for my van I am going to use my Joggler but I a pretty sure I'll still have the same issue as you , let us know if the giant capacitors work for you .

@Mickchip those sticks are a good price , do you think it would fit internally in place of the wireless card ? I know Pete has taken cases off before to get sticks to fit .

Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Yes they do fit inside if you remove the cover, I bought 2 x 16gb ones off ebay for £17.50 but he has put the price up to £9.95 each.
Jogglermaniac
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

hawsey wrote:...
Once I get permanent power sorted for my van I am going to use my Joggler but I a pretty sure I'll still have the same issue as you , let us know if the giant capacitors work for you .
The capacitors work good, so far.

Also, my startup skript (bat file) works nice - with this, the system boots now right into IGO with bright screen and adjusted time.
Just put the code in a txt file, rename from txt to bat and put in the Autostart folder:

Code: Select all

@echo Off
Date 11/11/2016
 start "" "C:\Program Files\COAA\GPSTime\GPStime.exe" /auto
TIMEOUT 5
taskkill /IM GPStime.exe 
cd "C:\iGO_PC\"
 start "" "C:\iGO_PC\iGO831_PC.exe"
And so far, the system works quite reliably - and startup & shutdowntimes are not so bad. (Shutdown is actually really fast - and that is the important one in the car)

-> Thanks again to Mickchip for this nice build (mevixp_nav)

Heiner
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you for the script Heiner!

How fast does the GPS / NTP program sync the time when booting?

The posted video drivers above will boot the Joggler XP in 100% brightness mode. The drivers were originally posted by the author of the seabios stuff.

Thank you Mickchip for posting the USB stick you are using. Here just tested your stuff with one I found laying around.
- Pete

Auto mater
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

Reg. How fast does the GPS / NTP program sync the time when booting?
The program is really quick - it takes maybe 1 or 2 seconds.
(The nice thing about the GPS dongle is that it reports time already before it has all sattelites locked for the location - so really no delay in the bootuptime)

Reg. The posted video drivers above will boot the Joggler XP in 100% brightness mode. The drivers were originally posted by the author of the seabios stuff.
Ahh - thats great. I downloaded them already (thanks!), but did not install yet - never change a running system ... ;-)
But I will try soon....