release: jogglerxp foshiz edition (image up)plus revised ver

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
dps5pt

Re: release: xp on joggler foshiz edition (image up)

Post by dps5pt »

danfoshizzle wrote:think i have a working pagefile
nice one, I played with a virtual disc solution but failed with pagefile starting so early on as part of the session manager list. Learnt some stuff but no cigar...
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

you may have a new image later on chaps!
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

pf usage on taskmanager shows 152mb used so surely that means its up and running?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Good news Dan. Was playing with that last night. Another thing I noted is that the NIC card was seen with the NIC cable unplugged.

When I plugged it in; it would lock up the Joggler. If I boot with the NIC card cable in; the NIC is enabled but not seen by the OS as its still getting a DHCP address; seen by the router; which doesn't make sense to me.

Initially the pagefile is being created by the OS and its dynamic at around 300Mb. When I check the event log / or paging file its saying something about a cryptic error.

When going to set the paging file at a static one then it saids something about an error writing it. The Joggler custom XP "suggests" a setting of 555Mb. Typically the pagefile is twice the amount of ram; so that is close.

I did notice that I could "almost" boot from other configured XP versions; but I kept getting the ndetect errors; whether it was using NTFS or FAT32.

BTW I also tried W2003 and another XP Pro version - they booted fine (?) everytime except for the ntdetect error. I also tried an "image" copy of embedded 2003 which I use for a NAS. It too booted to the ntdetect error. Found out that I could put anything on the "c" partition and make it bootable; except it would totally boot. Every test though I put the drivers in. (inf and sys files for video etc). I also "played" with installing USB boot after creating the boot NTFS and FAT32 partition. It would work again up until doing the Ntdetect.com stuff. If I utilized the two "custom" files then it would just error out on boot. But each time I could see the whole boot process.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

try these pete
Attachments
XOJ_V0.2.rar
(344.51 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

any chance of getting hold of that embedded image to tinker with? and also the page file is active and being used! performance has increased in windows
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Dan.

The issue with the embedded NAS W2003 image is that its from my purchased W2003 (years ago) NAS box; which I still upgrade and is registered with MS. The primary build is still embedded in the flash rom of the NAS; such that I could rerun it from a serial connection as it has no monitor connectivity. As it is though I wouldn't be able to use it other than testing on the Joggler; unless I got another serial number for it.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Dan,

What did you change such that the paging file worked?

Do you see the NIC card coming up? Does it show cable unplugged? Does it lock up when you plug in a NIC card?
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

was a complete rebuild, will upload an image later today
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Did you use the USB boot program?

I was thinking that the checks and writes that the USB boot program was doing with the drivers; also the USB boot program was shutting off the drivers cache was what was causing the slow down after a couple of boots.

An FYI on the new image. I took the original image; cuz it didn't fit on my 4Gb flash drive (about 100 Mb too big); put it on an 8Gb flash; used the Linux box; GParted to shrink it down a couple hundred Mb such that the image would fit on my 4 Gb flash drive. I then copied the image over partition by partition to the 4Gb flash drive.

Another thing I noticed was that the original flash image was seen to the OS as a CDRom (read only) and I looked and couldn't find what was making it do this. This too would have created problems writing the pagefile.

Wierd the minor differences in space on the 4Gb flash drives; so a suggestion would be to make the image maybe 3.8Gb such that it fits on more flash drives.

BTW will post a video on you tube today as to watching a "speedy" version boot up (it does still do this a couple of times) just to show the folks how fast the Joggler is. Will do this with the older image just for the sake of providing an XP taste to the folks watching the forum.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

cheers pete the usboot program is difficult because it can only be used once on an installation, and re the read only cdrom, I have not encountered this as on my joggler the os is seen as a local disk.

thanks for help debugging pete
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

That's what I thought; so its better to run it fresh removing all of the USB configuration files or reregister the USBBOOT such that you have a new serial number eh?

I did a few videos; rebooting about 3-4 times with the "quick speeds" then after I tweaked a bit; newest boot went to the "slow mode"; so will need to start all over again; unless you have your image posted?
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

not yet still tweaking it, run from a freshly written .img would be best, or give me a while and try the new version?
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Will wait for the new version.

Excellent "stuff" Dan. A first for a truely multifunction, multiOS great little device called the Joggler.

Only adding .net and flash on the base. Found out that SpeedFan actually loads a low level sys driver which plays too much at boot time. May install some little bitty benchmark utilities later on.

Funny cuz I was out for a bit; trying to type on my phone; really pain. I don't know how folks are able to do that. Even the miniature keyboard doesn't help much.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

edit
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

booted in 58 seconds!
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cef1c97/n/jognew.rar

new image we will call this alpha 0.2 lol
more to come!!

-=xXx=-

Re: release: jogglerxp foshiz edition (image up)plus revised

Post by -=xXx=- »

Why don't you make *.gho images ? I think it is more easier and flexible and takes less space...
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

because .img is universally writable, can be written to usb from any os.
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Dan,

Downloaded the image last night and tried to install it this morning. I'm not sure; but I think its corrupted. I can see the EFI partition on XP but when I put the USB stick in the Linux machine; the partition appears to be corrupted. I tried the image on a variety of sticks that I have; all with the same results. I started the download last night before going to sleep and from appearances it seemed to be OK.
- Pete

Auto mater