release: jogglerxp foshiz edition (image up)plus revised ver

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

Re: release: xp on joggler foshiz edition (image up)

Post by danfoshizzle »

seems promising, buzz do you have any idea about the screen positioning issue?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I've not booted windows yet - but if the position if off, perhaps there is something in the driver documentation ?
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

have looked will look again, just strange some have it some dont
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Dan,
What was the original audio driver that you used? I messed with mine and it no longer works.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Dan.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

Here's an option for hold and right click..

http://ask.metafilter.com/26273/Clickan ... rightclick

Noticed there's a signed GMA500 driver for the graphics dirver in the build, would installing this driver break it?
pete

Post by pete »

The "slowness" issues appear to be mostly related to the USB sticks and the limited amount of RAM right now.

I tested an IDE drive (USB connected) and everything was much quicker.

The issue is (its been documented) that you can't hang an IDE drive off a USB hub and expect it to boot; but it doesn't. When you first connect it and you try to boot from it; the power draw is from the Joggler. If you listen to the IDE drive it literally shuts down or attempts to spin up and just clicks. When I connected a small 1.8" drive; by itself to the USB port; it boots fine. I'm not seeing any issues with the Linux/ Linux boot. I did switch my other Linux devices (Chumby's) to quicker CF drives; but its doing a chroot to these drives and still booting internally via a small microSD inside of the boxes.

I too have a screen "clipped" issue. Its on the top of the screen versus the bottom. I did move my task bar from the right side to the bottom of the screen. With the tool bar on the bottom though I don't notice the top few pixels being clipped.

This morning's "experiment": I booted the configuration off of the USB stick. I connected the 1.8" already partitioned and imaged IDE drive to another port on the USB hub. I am copying the "working" contents of the NTFS partition over to the 1.8" IDE drive. I'm guessing with the touchscreen drivers already booting there should not be an issue with booting off of just the IDE drive with no other devices plugged in.
- Pete

Auto mater
dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

I'm using a 1.8" 20GB tosh drive from a broken iriver h320 and speed is pretty good, looks like you get 380mb of free RAM with video card using 256MB?? Not sure how it works that - assumed they would add up to 512 with the video being shared...

Wonder if other video drivers would allow the RAM allocated to the video to be reduced and if it would add to the system RAM....

XP USB and swap file support might be a downer too.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeah swap issue is down to usboot, but i dont know another way of doing it
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Were you able to plug the 1.8" drive into a hub and utilize a mouse and keyboard to set it up?

I tried and was unable to get it to boot. I could get it to boot though by itself and it was fast. This morning I am snapshoting the image over to a network drive; then writing the image over to the 1.8" drive while its connected.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

wish i could help with 1.8 inch drives but do not have one to test sorry chaps
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Dan,

I read a little bit on the USBoot site; it is a quandry to be able to boot XP from a USB drive. What they were able to achieve was great considering how many different types of USB flash drives are out there and how XP boots; drive geometries etc. I'm hoping a bit faster USB stick will help some. I see new USB 3.0 is out now and there are new USB 3.0 flash drives there; almost looking like SSD style drives; miniature though.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Long term I am hoping to use a fast USB stick; short term just playing with the 1.8" IDE drive. I am currently running the image utility over to a mapped network drive. I've kept adding utilities to the initial build and almost have filled the drive; but will stick to keeping it below 4Gb.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

usb 3.0 im not sure would help much as the joggler is only 2.0 but if it can help a little with rw speed then it would be awesome
more to come!!

dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

pete_c wrote:Were you able to plug the 1.8" drive into a hub and utilize a mouse and keyboard to set it up?

I tried and was unable to get it to boot. I could get it to boot though by itself and it was fast. This morning I am snapshoting the image over to a network drive; then writing the image over to the 1.8" drive while its connected.
after some playing yeah, using a 4 port non powered hub, I found 1 of the 4 ports would boot, this was with a keyboard in and after boot I'd attach a mouse . Not sure of the logic as to why only 1 of the 4 ports would allow boot - I think earlier in the thread someone also mentions this USB hub weirdness.....
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

hub weirdness is because ports on the hub give different drive numbers, eg default is fs0 but on the hub that may become fs1
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Thanks dps5pt. I tried similiarly with two powered hubs with no luck in powered and unpowered modes. I've gone to using the small Lenova combo keyboard with a small wireless stick and it seems to be doing well being seen with every configuration so far; more so that the 4 legacy combo USB Keyboards and mice that I have tried. The current xp build though does see every USB keyboard/mouse combo that I have tried (that didn't work before).

That and the "power stealing" that the IDE drive / combo hub does.

My first "over the network" image copy got to about 20% and quite as the network mapping got disconnected. I have noticed that the NIC is on and generating traffic on the network; but the current XP drivers do not see it.

Second attempt to image will be using a second attached 1.8" IDE drive to the USB hub. The second drive wouldn't power up. Next a CF card for a backup drive. Its working so far.

The program I am using just does partition backups (similiar to ghost) and makes them a bit portable. I can then take that backup and write it to any IDE type device (doesn't work to a USB stick though).

Performance is faster with the CF card; as its already at 40% (15 minutes). I formatted the CF card at fat32. I've seen the wireless connection hang already once before when moving some data between the Joggler and shared NAS.
- Pete

Auto mater
dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

I've used clonezilla for imaging disks & partitions using images from a USB drive but never tried writing to USB attached, it runs in linux so might stand a chance. Clonezilla live version boots from a cd
pete

Post by pete »

I've noticed that the disk imaging programs won't work for writing to USB flash drives and vice versa. On the Joggler though they both work vice versa because of the configuration. Such that I can utilize a write to USB imaging program to read or write from the flash drives or a disk imaging program to read or write to the flash drives (cuz it thinks they are just hard drives).
- Pete

Auto mater