release: jogglerxp foshiz edition (image up)plus revised ver

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: release: xp on joggler foshiz edition (image up)

Post by pete »

I am just restoring the image to an 8Gb stick; its about 200 megs bigger than my 4Gb stick. If it boots I will shrink it down a touch before uploading it.

If it doesn't boot I try with Win32Imager
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
markeh

Post by markeh »

SuperSaf wrote:
markeh wrote:arse it's not working for me either

probably the usb - sandisk cruser blade thing 8gb, worked with android and linux with joggler though

Same here. Thought it'd probably the USB but Android and Linux worked fine...

I'm giving the imaging another go. Instead of win32imager, using dd on mac instead this time. Second time lucky :) Not got anything else to put it on if it doesn't work :(
let me know if that works out for you, I've only got this usb too

I was suprised at how large the image is, would there be any chance of getting this on the internal memory? tinyxp installs were around 500mb?
SuperSaf

Post by SuperSaf »

pete_c wrote:I am just restoring the image to an 8Gb stick; its about 200 megs bigger than my 4Gb stick. If it boots I will shrink it down a touch before uploading it.

If it doesn't boot I try with Win32Imager
Let us know how you get on. I'm still waiting for my image to finish... imaging! Taking a while. No progress bar when using dd so just blindly waiting for it to finish.

@markeh - Will do if the dd imaging ever finishes!
SuperSaf

Post by SuperSaf »

Nope, the dd finished and it still doesn't work. Looks like I need something else for the image to go on. Not got anything so it's end of the road for me! Looking forward to seeing some youtube videos etc showing it working for those that work! Really interested in using XP on it, guess I'll have to wait til I get time to go get an 8GB stick. Till then, I'll do with watching other peoples if anyone youtubes it! :)
pete

Post by pete »

I did find a difference between sticks. I have one Kingston 8 Gb Datatraveler that appears to take the image; but when I check it there's nothing there. So I went to a 16Gb microSD card. It loaded the image fine. I checked it and there are two partitions; EFI and an NTFS boot partition. I shrink down the partition a bit and copied it over to an HP 4Gb drive. It starts to boot then I get a "failed to boot both default and fallback entries". BTW its using Grub to boot. Not sure why; still playing.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

OK I was able to get it to boot into windows XP. I had to remove the USB stick from the USB hub with the mouse and keyboard attached to it. I also had to touch the screen as it was booting. I did it a few times; cuz initially it boots to a distorted display (50% herringbone pattern). I wait a bit and it boots up with an mouse arrow. Will keep trying. Once I know it works will image it as its a bit smaller image than the one that posted.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Its booting very slowly - now at the "Welcome" screen and just got a desktop. Very Impressive!

Desktop has been populated; except touch doesn't work yet and screen is a bit dim.
- Pete

Auto mater
moka

Post by moka »

Not booting for me either... Using a Sandisk Cruzer Slide 4GB USB stick... hmmmm.

Copied with DD aswell.
pete

Post by pete »

Here are some pics of it booting. Slow booting. Desktop Icons went away for a bit then came back. "Stuff" keeps loading on to the task bar. No touch yet and very dim screen. Just went to the screen saver and I have no touch to bring it out of it.

- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Tried again with just the mouse and a powered USB Hub. That did it. Its booting again. I'll see if the mouse works now.
- Pete

Auto mater
moka

Post by moka »

Attempting a write to a 40GB portable hard drive using DD...
moka

Post by moka »

Ok it's booting now, it's either very fussy on the USB stick used OR needs a stick bigger than 4GB.... or both. Mine looks fine (no fuzziness like above)... Testing now.
markeh

Post by markeh »

how long is it taking to boot up roughly?

slightly off topic, but not worth starting a new topic - can anyone remember the name of that android app that was like a dodgy version of the android market where everything was free?

*** applanet, found it :)
pete

Post by pete »

No fuzziness (its the camera); dim though, just takes at least 15 minutes to boot or so. I resized the image so that it fits on the 4Gb HP stick. Will compress it in a little bit. It does seem a bit fussy.

Thank-you Dan!
- Pete

Auto mater
moka

Post by moka »

pete_c you got yours working using a USB hub? Mine says Failed to boot both default and fallback entries? ... hmmm, i think i got another hub somewhere *searching*.
pete

Post by pete »

I am able to boot with and without power to the hub. Initially mine said the same message. Try touching the screen about 5 seconds after you see the O2; wierd; cuz it was that versus hitting an enter key.

What I just noticed though; it activates the mouse when booting; then when into XP it shuts off the mouse and keyboard.

I have the mouse flipped upsidedown so that I can see if it loads it. (light mouse).
Last edited by pete on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
moka

Post by moka »

Ok, trying every port on the hub i finally found one that allow it to get past that error... Now its hanging on mup.sys.... I think i have corrupted the image though i will reimage and try again :cry:
pete

Post by pete »

It boots very slowly; so you may think its hanging; but it really isn't...just slow booting.

I'm on my third mouse and keyboard; no luck yet with any of them. The last boot it seems like it was trying to load the drivers for the disk; except I had no way to make it go forward.

Now its booting differently; showing an overlay that saids "USBOOT" and RPCSS is starting. Very different from earlier.
Last edited by pete on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
moka

Post by moka »

A re image sorted it. I'm booting in 45~~ seconds. It might be booting slow for you because im using a USB HDD
moka

Post by moka »

Mouse is also working fine no probs.