Brand new to joggler...

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Rorifett

Brand new to joggler...

Post by Rorifett »

Hi folks, apologies for bad forum etiquette and just starting a new thread, not quite sure where to start!

Just got a joggler the other day, it looks as though it's been updated somewhat already as it has Google maps and calendar along with the home screen of all the o2 looking stuff.

I'm looking for a pointer in the right direction for either redoing what has been done or potentially fixing what isn't currently working. If there are any idiot guides I can follow I'd be very grateful.

I bought the joggler mainly as a photo frame screensaver and family organiser, ideally I'd have Google calendar (or some other calendar if anyone has recommendations) that I can link on both my partner and my phone so we can update remotely and it will download to the joggler, ideally with reminders.

The joggler currently has the wrong time set up and doesn't seem to connect to the Internet to allow me to log in with a Google account, strangely the Internet radio works flawlessly though? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated :) thanks
hawsey

Re: Brand new to joggler...

Post by hawsey »

Hi Rorifett and welcome to the forum :-) we are a helpful lot so I'm sure you will get sorted .

Has the software you have on your joggler got Angry Birds on it ? If so it has PNP III on it .

You have lots of choices here now , most of us now either use either Xubuntu which is a desktop or SqueezePlay Os which is mainly for music : these can be just written to a slimline USB stick and plugged in to the side of the Joggler then switched on and it will boot up in to that Os , there is also versions of Android , XP and others .

For simplicity and finger friendliness the PNPIII might do for you but not sure , I'll wait see if anyone else is doing what you want , I.e photographs and Google
Xubuntu would do it for sure but might be a bit fiddly .
Anyone else with any input here ? :-)

Sent from my Smart Ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
Rorifett

Post by Rorifett »

Thanks for replying hawsey, no angry birds, the second page has youtube, bobo snake, freestyle soccer, sliding block puzzle, jigsaw puzzle, Google maps, weather, calendar (Google), twins, ocean catch match, deep sea dive and blind spot.

Is xubuntu non techy friendly? I.e. Can I place 'apps' or icons on a desktop so my Mrs can't go wrong easily?

I was hoping to use my USB stick for photos for the stream, my NAS died the other week and not gotten round to replacing it yet, plus just moved house so not fully up with my network yet either to stream. Is it possible to partition a USB for part boot os and part local storage?

Many thanks
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

If you upgrade the internal os to this and see if it does what you want as it is most finger friendly

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555

If that does not work out then there are other choices ,
Xubuntu even has Kodi (xbmc ) on it which would do the photo slide show nicely you could stick that on a USB stick and give it a try also .
Partitioning does work but will be more work ;-)
Shame for your NAS , I've just worked out the USB port on the back of my router works well as a NAS for music / photo s if that could help you as well .

Happy Joggling
Rorifett

Post by Rorifett »

Superb! Hadn't even thought of that USB port as a media streaming option, nice one!

Will read through that linked thread just now, thank you
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

What sort of router have you got ? My Home Hub 5 USB port shows up as 192.168.1.254/usb2/"whatever, music , photos etc"
I have made shortcuts on mine and my wife's Android phones and a laptop , PC and tablet so all devices have access to all music and photos :-) not really tried video yet but limitation will be USB 2 to a point
Good luck , remember the plug and play 3 (pnpIII) is for internal and Xubuntu goes external on a USB stick ( or ssd / external HDD)

Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The Android build is also very useful and finger friendly. Unfortunately it's stuck at 4.0.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Android will probably do most things you want , dwl99 do you know if Google calander works on it ? And there must be a picture slideshow app .
Video won't really work well on Android , bare that in mind if you wanted that at all .

Happy Joggling
Rorifett

Post by Rorifett »

Home hub 5 here too, shame it's USB2 as you say, but will be fine for general music/photo streaming when not streaming from an external site like Google or amazon.

Might be worth looking at android, was trying to steer clear from the temptation of using this as a tablet but equally with the plethora of apps out there it would be daft of me to ignore all that resource for anything extra we might want to use. Does android load from USB as well?

Just moved house so not got my head properly into this being set up but will get pnp3 sorted out first and see if it ticks the boxes for us, would.be good to know if Google calendar works for anyone currently using the android build :)

Thanks guus
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yep Android boots off USB :-)

Happy Joggling
Rorifett

Post by Rorifett »

Hey guys, so ran through the reflashing stuff and updated to pnp3 but not done anything beyond that as yet, tried to login to Google calendar but having issues (same as before I reflashed) - when logging in I just get a pop-up saying 'login failed. Please try again later.'

I'm connected to the net, can stream radio stations and browse the Web, log into the Gmail and Hotmail things no problem (although they're just browser links rather than dedicated apps) but just can't seem to get the calendar to login or allow me to use it as it stands. If i try to create a new calendar that just fails at the saving point.

Anyone experienced this and found a solution or workaround? Thanks again!