Messaging tone disappears after PnP (orig OS) - SOLVED

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Messaging tone disappears after PnP (orig OS) - SOLVED

Post by offbeatdave »

After installing PnP on three different Jogglers now, the messaging tone seems to be disabled on each one. According to the settings it is still enabled but it no longer sounds on message receipt.

Has anyone else experienced this annoyance and, if so, is there a way to restore the sound? I'm happy to edit/copy/delete files as necessary.

Many thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to welcome Jogglers number 4, 5 and 6 to the household!
Last edited by offbeatdave on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Re: Messaging tone disappears after PnP (orig OS)

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:After installing PnP on three different Jogglers now, the messaging tone seems to be disabled on each one. According to the settings it is still enabled but it no longer sounds on message receipt.

Has anyone else experienced this annoyance and, if so, is there a way to restore the sound? I'm happy to edit/copy/delete files as necessary.
This is a necessary evil of using SqueezePlay, if you have it installed. If you don't have SqueezePlay installed then there must be another app that the PnP script alters the audio settings for.

Basically, if the audio settings are such that a mixer is used (allowing multiple applications to access the audio system at the same time) then after around 5 hours the output from SqueezePlay will break. Switching to one-at-a-time access to the audio hardware fixes this, but does mean that if any other app grabs the audio output, no others will make a sound at the same time.

If it was SqueezePlay, if you look in /etc you should find a file called asounf.conf_presqp. This is the file that was present before SqueezePlay was installed and should contain this:

Code: Select all

pcm.my_card {
  type hw
  card 0
  # mmap_emulation true
}

pcm.dmixed {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 1024
  #  ipc_key_add_uid false   # let multiple users share
  #  ipc_perm 0666           # IPC permissions for multi user sharing (octal, default 0600)
  slave {
    pcm "my_card"
      rate 48000
      period_size 512
  }
}

pcm.dsnooped {
  type dsnoop
  ipc_key 2048
  slave {
    pcm "my_card"
    #   rate 48000
    #   period_size 128
  }
}

pcm.asymed {
  type asym
  playback.pcm "dmixed"
  #capture.pcm "dsnooped"
}

pcm.pasymed {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "asymed"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "asymed"
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "asymed"
}
The asound.conf file is the one that will be in use, which will probably look like this:

pcm.!default {
   type hw
   card 0
}
ctl.!default {
   type hw
   card 0
}
Swap asound.conf for asound.conf_sqp (or copy in the contents from above) and you should have the beeps back.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Ah-ha. I guess that'll be it then as I have Squeezeplay (fantastic btw) on all three. I'll check the files but I think that is that mystery solved!

Many thanks!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:Ah-ha. I guess that'll be it then as I have Squeezeplay (fantastic btw) on all three. I'll check the files but I think that is that mystery solved!

Many thanks!
No problem! Out of interest, are you using the PnP install of SqueezePlay or the one from my site? If you're using the PnP version, could you have a look under Settings > Advanced > About and let me know which version it is? I need to tidy up the SqueezePlay files but don't want to delete the ones that PnP uses and if you've installed it recently it would save me digging through the PnP scripts! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I'm using your build these days I'm afraid, not the PnP version. Sorry!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Hmm. Had a go restoring the asound.conf file but still no beeps. I'm wondering if it is also to do with the PnP script writing messages to the Joggler's SMS file when apps are installed. A long shot I know...

# sms notification:
cd /openpeak/tango
cp SMSInboxMessages.csv SMSInboxMessages.csv.copy
if [ $(cat SMSInboxMessages.csv | wc -l) -eq 0 ]; then
export LINE=1
export VALUE=19200
else
export LINE=$(expr $( awk -F"," '{ print $1}' SMSInboxMessages.csv | sed -ne '1,1p') + 1)
export VALUE=$(expr $( awk -F"," '{ print $2}' SMSInboxMessages.csv | sed -ne '1,1p') + 1)
fi
export LINE2=$(expr $LINE - 1)
export DATE=$(date +%Y/%m/%d)
export TIME=$(date +%H:%M)
export IPADDR=$(/sbin/ifconfig | sed -n -e 's/:127\.0\.0\.1 //g' -e 's/ *inet addr:\([0-9.]\+\).*/\1/gp')
echo "$LINE,$VALUE,$LINE2,,5,,gforums,Squeezeserver installed successfully. Run it by http://$IPADDR:9000!,,$DATE,$TIME,0,0,0,0,0" >SMSInboxMessages.csv
cat SMSInboxMessages.csv.copy >>SMSInboxMessages.csv
rm SMSInboxMessages.csv.copy
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

And after further investigations, the large 'new message' notification box which should appear on the screen doesn't appear either so I think something in the PnP install upsets it. I think I need to play manually with the PnP stuff to see what happens.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Played around installing the mods one at a time to see what disables messaging functionality...

1. Squeezeplay (birdslikewires) installed and replaced the sound config file as noted above.: Messaging working correctly with sound and notification!
2. Ran base install file script (copied from another Joggler). This did pop a message in the box.
2. PnP webserver (used script from PnP from another Joggler without message notification): Messaging working correctly with sound and notification!
3. Opera (installed as above): Message working correctly with sound and notification!
4. Perl (installed as above): Messaging working correctly with sound and notification!
5. Squeezeserver (used script from PnP from another Joggler without message notification): Messaging working correctly with sound and notification!
6. Had to replace the sound config file again as noted above.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

So...

Installing PnP via memory stick and then installing Opera, Perl and Squeezeserver from the web interface results in messaging tone and pop-up notifications being disabled.

Installing squeezeplay, base, webserver, opera, perl and squeezeserver from scripts (removing message notification line which may or may not be to blame) results in messaging tone and pop-up notifications working as they should.

Now to reflash and sort out 3 other Jogglers!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:I'm using your build these days I'm afraid, not the PnP version. Sorry!
No need to apologise for that! ;)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Oh my word. I've just solved it kind of. It was because I'd replaced the icon with a different one. Restoring the original icon.swf restored full messaging notification. How bizarre! Any idea why this might be the case?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:Oh my word. I've just solved it kind of. It was because I'd replaced the icon with a different one. Restoring the original icon.swf restored full messaging notification. How bizarre! Any idea why this might be the case?
That is bizarre. Can't think why that would have happened, unless something was coded into the Flash file that held the icon.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Yeah, that's what I thought must be the case. Strange way of programming it but hey ho! If I'm at a loose end I may have a poke around in the icon.swf coding to see sometime. I restored the original icon on all three of my customised Jogglers and full functionality returned!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

As noted on another thread, further to my previous investigations, I have 'solved' this problem by leaving the original messaging app and icon intact and adding the following lines to my applications.xml fille:

<app id="o2_messages" loc="/openpeak/gui/apps/o2_messages/" icon="icon.png" app="main.swf"/>
<app id="" loc="" icon="" app=""/>

The icon.png is just a replacement icon for the o2 messaging app located in the o2_messages folder and the second line adds a space on my Joggler desktop so I can move the original messaging icon to a third screen on it's own out of the way!

My Joggler's are beautiful once more!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

roobarb! wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:Oh my word. I've just solved it kind of. It was because I'd replaced the icon with a different one. Restoring the original icon.swf restored full messaging notification. How bizarre! Any idea why this might be the case?
That is bizarre. Can't think why that would have happened, unless something was coded into the Flash file that held the icon.
I have decompiled the icon and yep there is a shed load of code in it!

Which is odd 'cos yesterday I had come the the conclusion (wrongly it seems) that the icons weren't executable, I might revisit my "Icon from PNG" idea now.