Shairport OS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Shairport OS

Post by roobarb! »

Just landed with five minutes free time, so thought I'd point people in the direction of this which I made about a year ago:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... irport/os/

It's an image which uses shairport-sync to provide multi-room AirPlay with audio synchronisation.

What does that mean? In basic use just AirPlay music from iTunes or your iDevice to the Joggler - it'll play it, extract the metadata and display it on screen. If you play from iTunes you can select multiple devices and in theory, they should sync up so you don't get weird echo effects between rooms.

I created it as a bit of an experiment into producing embedded read-only-filesystem operating systems, so the bonus of this is that you can just switch off the Joggler at the mains any time you wish. Nothing is mounted as writable on the device, so power on and power off to your heart's content. Just follow the instructions on one of my other images to write it to a USB stick, edit the config files in the boot partition using your computer (wifi network, AirPlay name and the like) and you're off.

As I say, it's over a year old, it's unfinished and not terribly well tested - so your mileage may vary! But I'm still finding it handy, so I thought others might too.

Oh, there is a version there for writing to internal memory, but only use this if you know how to make a recovery stick with which you can edit the config settings in the boot partition - because the internal version is read-only as well. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Man in a van

Re: Shairport OS

Post by Man in a van »

Shairporters with raspberry pi might also be interested in this

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... rport_Sync
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Of course! Squeezelite! I was planning on making a multi-receiver out of this thing (iOS, Android, Squeezebox) but then things got busy. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
chris

Post by chris »

roobarb! wrote:Of course! Squeezelite! I was planning on making a multi-receiver out of this thing (iOS, Android, Squeezebox) but then things got busy. :)
Is there was a way to increase brightness?
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

I have been a long time user of the amazing SqueezeOS on Joggler. I have since moved on to Roon, which has proven to be very flexible with regard to connecting to various end-points. I have 3 jogglers which I would like to use as display devices and maybe also airplay devices, as Roon can connect to airplay. To that end, I have experimented with this build sos101_of1.img.gz

It looks great, I really like the way the music info is presented and Roon 'sees' the joggler device.

I am not sure how to enable the wifi on the joggler, I believe it is in /etc/network, but I can't get to the os via Putty, I tried but couldn't connect to the joggler. I am super rusty with Linux (it was called Unix the last time I used it!), so any help from anyone to :-

a. enable ssh etc in this build to access the os via Putty, or
b. is there a way to get to the command prompt on the joggler with a keyboard and mouse attached?
c. change the img before loading it from the usb drive. I am building this via windows, so don't know how I can change the network setting in the img, as I honestly get super confused with 7-zip and Win32diskimager

Also, when I spin up two jogglers, they appears to display the same ip device with 4 labels, squeezeplay, office, kitchen and openframe. I wonder if this is a legacy of my previous LMS use with joggler as a squeezeos device? Bit confused by this. Do I need to edit hostname too?

Any guidance from smarter linux folk would be so helpful.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Hi David

Happy saints day.

The external image has a file called "interfaces".
You can access this on a windows machine and enter your ssid and pasword.
I have just done it and it does work.

ronnie
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

Thanks, so showing my complete ignorance now, on my windows PC I drop the sos101_of1.img.gz file in the reflash folder on the USB memory stick. How do I go about getting to the interfaces file to make the edit, and reconstruct the .img.gz file to place on the USB drive? I am guessing I can use 7-zip to uncompress the img.gz file, but how do I get back to the img.gz? I am sure it simple, but only when you know how I guess, thanks for any help.#
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Hi David

I am sorry I can't help with the internal image.

I have just spent a few hours trying to get it to work but without any luck. It keeps failing with incorrect checksum, although I'm certain they are the same.

Leaving it now, perhaps someone else can help.

ronnie
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

davidismynaim wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:36 pma. enable ssh etc in this build to access the os via Putty, or
b. is there a way to get to the command prompt on the joggler with a keyboard and mouse attached?
c. change the img before loading it from the usb drive. I am building this via windows, so don't know how I can change the network setting in the img, as I honestly get super confused with 7-zip and Win32diskimager
a. Should be on already.
b. Yes, plug them in and try ALT with a function key, say F2, to jump to a new terminal. ALT-F1 should get you back.
c. Yes, but that's probably more of a faff. :)