OP2 Software and EFI Difference

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
phlak

Re: OP2 Software and EFI Difference

Post by phlak »

Thanks all of you for answers! It is a Telio branded device, with a very nasty original software (no application is able to connect to the internet even the IP is
obtained on both wired and wifi connection).
The software (as it appears on it) is the following:
Firmware: 8964 (boardrev: 3)
Software: 30659 (Nov 27 2012)

I think I'm very close with getting it booting, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried several USB memory sticks (2Gb/4Gb/8Gb),
tried to write the image from both Windows (with Win32DiskImager) and Ubuntu (with dd). also tried 2 different USB hubs with different
positions for keyboard/usb stick. Can be possible for the EFI to be locked even on reading the USB block devices/memory sticks?
The images I've tried until now (with many tries on reflash111_of with injected sqpos303_of2.img.gz image):

of1_26635_o2.img.gz
of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz
reflash111_of.img.gz
sqpos303_ext.img.gz
sqpos303_of2.img.gz
xubuntu_14.04-v1.6-ext4.img.gz

The EFI booting seems to be interrupt almost every time when I press Escape, which is good, but no progress from here..
Attached are some pictures of the device with the current OS.
Attachments
20170930_173544.jpg
20170930_171532.jpg
20170930_171339.jpg
pete

Post by pete »

Keep trying...I had issues with keyboards, hubs ...you should not need a powered USB port and you will need to plug in the boot USB stick in to the hub for this to work. I have one keyboard with a built in USB port and that did not work.

IE: make sure you are using an unpowered USB hub, simple USB keyboard and USB boot stick. It is very important that you have a USB boot stick plugged in.

1 - fs0: [return] boot [return]
2 - fs1: [return] boot [return]
3 - fs2: [return] boot [return]
4 - fs3: [return] boot [return]
5 - fs4: [return] boot [return]
6 - fs5: [return] boot [return]
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
phlak

Post by phlak »

Hi Pete,
Yes the USB bootable stick is always in connected to the hub near the keyboard (and I've tried all the USB memory sticks that I have).
How about Win32DiskImager? Is it ok to write the images with it from Windows? Or should I insist writing them with dd on Linux (there should be no difference imho). What I've noticed is the reflash image exceeds 64Mb (which I know is the maximum allowed for EFI).
pete

Post by pete »

Works fine here with Win32DiskImager in Windows or using the disk image write utility in Linux.

Thinking the boot stick with reflash creates your base. Then you copy the the files compressed over to the reflash directory.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
phlak

Post by phlak »

New discoveries on this matter! I've un-powered the usb hub, the result is the same (I am still able to interrupt the boot sequence with Escape), but what I found is this:

Test 1: I submit any of "fsX: [return] boot [return]" where X is between 1 and 5. Result: each of them just boots the internal OS!
Test 2: I submit "fsX:boot" (meaning the return key is pressed only at at the end of the command), X is between 1 and 5 also. Result: nothing happens.
Test 3: I submit "fs0:boot" (also with return key pressed only at the end). Result: the internal OS boots!

My conclusion from the above tests is that being on fs0 at the beginning, any of these switches "fsX: [return]" just fails and then pressing "boot [return]" brings up the current boot script (which is for fs0->the internal file system). So the other fs from USB is never seen. Also, I've noticed that if I write "startup" instead of "boot" it also boots the internal OS. Are there any EFI commands that worth trying here? Something that could maybe force the USB mapping (I've tried "map -r" but doesn't seem to change anything).
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Try the usb stick in port 4 , did you do that ? Good luck

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Only this will work:

"fsX: [return] boot [return]"

Just keep hitting the esc key. Then you can just hit the enter a couple of times then

"fsX: [return] boot [return]"

Be patient; it should work.

Just recently here wiped out the eMMC on an OP2 and was able to get it to boot with a USB stick.
- Pete

Auto mater
phlak

Post by phlak »

@hawsey: I did try on every port on each of two usb hubs that I have. The result is the same: keyboard works good on any port (interrupting the boot sequence) but the boot usb stick is not seen by the OF2 (as "fsX: [return] boot [return]" always boots up the internal OS).
My questions are: is it any chance that the Telio guys locked out even the EFI mapping of the block devices, like USB memory sticks?
And second one: is there any other internal port that I can try to boot from? (I've read there is a m-sata port residing on the motherboard). Any luck with the ethernet boot maybe?
Thanks.
pete

Post by pete »

is it any chance that the Telio guys locked out even the EFI mapping of the block devices, like USB memory sticks?

Maybe. Thinking Hawsey has a Telio device.

is there any other internal port that I can try to boot from? (I've read there is a m-sata port residing on the motherboard). Any luck with the ethernet boot maybe?

There is a top USB port and a mini pcie slot which is being used for a combo WlAN and Bluetooth card.

It is not an mSATA pcie slot. You can maybe today find a mini SATA/SSD all in one card. I never did though. I did try other mini pcie cards and they all worked fine. Another thing you can do is solder on a mini zif clip to the traces on the motherboard

I have one apart which I have soldered on a USB port which worked fine. It is not any different than the rear USB port.

No ethernet boot is available.

Tricky piece is that the EFI boot rom is soldered on. On the Joggler and Openpeak 1 the EFI boot rom is in a socket and you can replace it and do a hot swap on it. IE: did this a couple of days ago with an O2 Joggler I bricked.

If you have a USB stick with an LED you can see it blinking if the Openpeak 2 sees it.
- Pete

Auto mater
phlak

Post by phlak »

Hi Pete,
I've got a USB stick with a LED which I've tested just today. What I've noticed so far: it seems the USB stick's LED starts blinking very late comparing with the Keyboard's Numlock LED. The timings are about like this:

T0: the OF2 is powered
T0 + 2s: the Numlock key of the keyboard gets ON
T0 + 4s: the Numlock key gets OFF
T0 + 6s: the Numlock key gets ON again
T0 + 8s: the USB stick LED starts blinking
T0 + 10s: the OF2's display gets a short flash (with a bit dimming of the light).
T0 + 14s: the logo is animated and a bit after the home screen appears.

I'm only able to interrupt the boot on interval between T0+2s and T0+4s. Is this the normal behaviour or should I be able to "catch" another interrupt later than that timing interval, what do you think? Thanks a lot!
pete

Post by pete »

It's very tricky and you have to make sure you have a good USB stick.

I used the LED keyboard blinks and the USB led while loading the USB stick. The USB blinking is relating to both power and activity.

When the OP2 boots it does initially provide power to the USB port, then it shuts off the power then it enables the power.

Really you do not really know that you are interrupting the boot. It's really best guess.

The very first part with the keyboard will leave the keyboard status LED's lite. If the status of the keyboard LED is not lite then it is not connected. Then when you do the fs stuff and you are on the USB stick you can just hit enter and see the USB light flash.

At the command line prompt in EFI which you can not see you can type dir or ls for the directory. If you are on the USB and do this then the LED will flash. What I am saying is to wait to make sure you are in the USB stick EFI partition. There is no correct timing of all of this stuff. The keyboard that I used the last time here was an older chinese USB keyboard with a mouse PS2 plug on it. I think too I have tried with a Microsoft and HP USB keyboard before.

Here is a picture of my testing. Note I did brick the Cisco device while trying to update the eMMC. I documented this on the forum. Note that this is a Cisco Openpeak 2. I have have done similar here with energy company Openpeak 2's and Avaya OP2's.

Just about 2 weeks ago also bricked an O2 Joggler EFI boot ROM trying to load a zero length file in the ROM. Here I did the hot swap thing using a good EFI boot rom chip. IE: you just boot up with the good rom, save the ROM, swap the chip and write the ROM file to the messed up chip.

The top Logitech did not work for the blind booting but did work for everything else. The middle cheapo USB keyboard worked. The bottom keyboard sort of worked. It is though a unique made for the EU Intel keyboard from an experiment all in one PC that was made for AOL that Intel / AOL tested in the EU many many years ago. Note the cheap USB hub I used.

- Pete

Auto mater